MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 02-13-2014, 12:20 AM   #1
Thespanishgrill
On the road to being a farker

Default Looking for weeping rib method

Hi all,
Been gone for a while but back now. Going to do some ribs on the wsm this weekend. I recall a thread where the ribs where Ina c shape with a skewer through them then they were weeping and cooked no foil.

I would like to try this but wanted to get the details on temp and timing.

Thanks in advance and happy smoking
Thespanishgrill is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-13-2014, 02:46 AM   #2
bbqgeekess
Babbling Farker

Here ya go:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GbBFZstQRUY
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...d.php?t=180490
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...d.php?t=180638

Old 02-13-2014, 07:55 AM   #3
Thespanishgrill
On the road to being a farker

Thanks I'll report back when they hit the smoka
Thespanishgrill is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-13-2014, 08:38 AM   #4
Fwismoker
somebody shut me the fark up.

I don't think it is really a method per say....i just leave the membrane on, rub like normal and cook the ribs on their side. I will see the membrane melted off where the ribs meet the grill. Very wet tasting ribs leaving the membrane on.

Visit [COLOR="Red"]OctoForks[/COLOR] in Sales & Ventures

Website & Blog: [url]www.octoforks.com[/url]
Fwismoker is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-13-2014, 08:56 AM   #5
Jason TQ

I don't quite get "weeping". The "weeping/pig honey" occurs for me when I cook ribs dry at any temp. So is this something someone created/coined?

Old 02-13-2014, 09:00 AM   #6
Fwismoker

Quote:
Originally Posted by fnbish View Post
I don't quite get "weeping". The "weeping/pig honey" occurs for me when I cook ribs dry at any temp. So is this something someone created/coined?
Yes it is

Old 02-13-2014, 09:05 AM   #7
Jason TQ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fwismoker View Post
Yes it is
So it really isn't a method so much that it just happens then? I think I'm missing something here? It sounds like people seek this out like they have to do something special to make them "weep" vs it is just part of the normal rib cooking process. I might be a little slow though .

Old 02-13-2014, 09:16 AM   #8
Fwismoker

Quote:
So it really isn't a method so much that it just happens then? I think I'm missing something here? It sounds like people seek this out like they have to do something special to make them "weep" vs it is just part of the normal rib cooking process. I might be a little slow though .
It is comical. All meat "weeps" and this method isn't anything special other than leaving the membrane on. Leaving it on does make moist ribs... I did it by accident just experimenting one day and someone told me i made weeping ribs lol.

The thing that surprised me when i left it on and cooked them on their side is seeing the burnt membrane down at the grate level....that sucker does melt off

Old 02-13-2014, 09:20 AM   #9
TroyA65
is one Smokin' Farker

I'm gonna give it a try today, but I have a question. I have an insulated smoker, and I can surely shut it down but my fear is that since it's insulated it may not cool down fast enough to stop the cooking and let the ribs absorb the pig honey. Any thoughts? Should I just pull them and pop into a 200-250 degree oven for the 30 min or so?

Old 02-13-2014, 10:00 AM   #10
JS-TX
is Blowin Smoke!

I don't think you need to do anything special at all.. just find some nice marbled ribs and cook them until they weep.. no rib rack or leaving the membrane on.. or allowing the ribs to reabsorb the "juices". Just let them rest for about 15 minutes, lightly covered in foil. Starting with a nice rack of ribs is important though..otherwise there isn't much weeping going on... IMO.

Last edited by JS-TX; 02-13-2014 at 10:02 AM.. Reason: add
JS-TX is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 02-13-2014, 10:09 AM   #11
Fwismoker

Troy i agree you don't need to do anything special...and the reabsorb juices is kinda bunk.
Like JS said just cook to probe tender and rest. I am convinced leaving the membrane on makes for wet ribs though.

Thanks from:--->
Old 02-13-2014, 08:23 PM   #12
Pitmaster T
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Troy i agree you don't need to do anything special...and the reabsorb juices is kinda bunk.
Like JS said just cook to probe tender and rest. I am convinced leaving the membrane on makes for wet ribs though.
Oh Goodie... Goodie a war. Please don't listen to this guy. Now go tell him I said this so he can get in here, respond.. then I do what I do, people come in a watch, the thread blows up... and everyone learns.

A few disclaimers... one I am not defending my "coined" process because I think its better... but I SURE as well blast the **** out of anyone saying its not a method or nothing special.

Also, if something is a departure from the current way things are done... I am afraid is IS something special... but also let me clarify... just because something is special does not mean it has to be complex. For the most part... when I came up with this.... cough... stole it, the typical method of doing ribs was 3,2,1, in foil of course, with lots o juice and attention and temps very damn close to the magic number 213... where nothing good happens.

And I don't want to bitch slap anyone on the membrane either... tear the sucka off to win a pageant at some point. So lets not make that an issue.

So I am sorry, but doing ribs at 250-270, with no foil and then choking down the fire at a crucial point is VASTLY different. Not Better, Not Superior, not even good if you want to say it but it is radical compared to the other ways that were popular.

Now to Mr. Perez at Kreuz, the Blacks, John Fullilove is it not a departure but for the time it was.

Also... on the "meat reabsorbing juices is bunk" Please tell this to Champions Billy Bones Wall, who I stole it from, or the goddamn builders and devoted owners of a J.R. Oyler.

Ill be back... I have to go back an look at other posts this guy made and pick them apart.

Edict.
Pitmaster T is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-13-2014, 08:28 PM   #13
Pitmaster T
Babbling Farker

Quote:
I don't think it is really a method per say....i just leave the membrane on, rub like normal and cook the ribs on their side. I will see the membrane melted off where the ribs meet the grill. Very wet tasting ribs leaving the membrane on.
Wet tasting ribs? I'd like to hear what "wet taste" is.

It is a method... you know how I know... because first... THERE ARE OTHER METHODS.... I suppose you think the "Minion Method" is not a method cuz all you do is light at one end. LOL The other reason I know its a method....

is because over 300,000 people hit my channel and I gets scores asking me about "my methods" Not that they are superior... but they are "methods"

In fact.. this whole damn forum is one big ****ing forum about... duh...Methods.

Edict.

Old 02-13-2014, 08:29 PM   #14
Fwismoker

T saying outside juices reabsorb into cooked meat as as silly as spritzing or our sweat will soak back into our bodies.. We'll agree to disagree...not sure about what war you're talking about.

Meat fibers after they're cooked are tight and don't open back up like you're describing.

Old 02-13-2014, 08:39 PM   #15
Pitmaster T
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Things happen to meat in surrounding dry air that cannot happen in a braising, steam and liquid bath) Weeping is one of them.

Of course its "coined."

I will put it this way... and not knowing this about my method will **** your head up.

When you cook meat the water in the meat begins to reduce. This concentrates the flavor in the meat of course... but how do my ribs, dry out essentially (don't believe me cut into one and eat it before its ready) and then revive themselves WITHOUT mopping, spritzing or laying in a bath and steaming.

Simple... and of course its also known to all BBQ joints that have been open in Texas for more than 60 years (the hot ones)

Because the collagen and fat are released and the moisture comes back from those things that were once locked up at the lower temps.

Speed then is the only thing left to address.

In both Briskets and Ribs, the speed you reach that weeping stage matters little (within reason)... but the amount of time spent in that zone where the collagen is released and dripping (and showing the pig honey) is crucial... suspending it in that time period is indeed a "method."

And the same avenues in the meat that help exit that moisture (or liquid) also are open to receive it back in.

Anyone disagreeing with this... please go to Ruths Chris. Or cook a steak like I do.....uh... or if you don't believe in meat reabsorbing.... by all means let me come to your competition and slice your brisket for a box RIGHT OUT OF THE GOD DAMN SMOKER!!!! :-)

Edict.