• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

What should I make for the North Texas Spring Bash?

peeps

somebody shut me the fark up.
Reaction score
With the North Texas Brethren Bash planning going full speed ahead, I'm trying to figure out what I should make. I'll be talking Colt out to the park and will be camping the night before.

Smitty is making a monster fatty taking inspiration from this...

Last year I did a breakfast fatty, pig shots, and pulled pork.

I may still do a breakfast fatty, but the pig shots wont keep well in a cooler I don't think without taking up a bunch of space...

Thinking a batch of pepper stout beef, a meatloaf, or a brisket but welcome other thoughts of things that don't need a ton of prep steps and will be cooler friendly for a day or so.

Leg o Lamb! :mrgreen: or a Standing a Rib Roast..........

Beef Short Ribs !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Chocolate pecan bourbon pie baked in your cooker

9130_1210799265540_3632408_n.jpg
I'm certain that anything coming from this trustworthy face will be appreciated... ok, maybe not a cream pie... just sayin'

Beef Short Ribs !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I actually am thinking about doing a few packs of the small beef short ribs...the ones that Kroger sells that are full short ribs cut into halves or thirds so you still feel like you are eating meat on a stick. Will depend on how many people are coming.

Chocolate pecan bourbon pie baked in your cooker
Interesting...got a preferred recipe that I could check out to see how to pre-mix ahead of time so that prep at the camp/picnic site is easy?

I'm certain that anything coming from this trustworthy face will be appreciated... ok, maybe not a cream pie... just sayin'
You know you want my cream pie! :wink:

Ingredients
1 (9 inch) pie shell1 cup white sugar1 cup light corn syrup1/2 cup butter4 eggs, beaten
1/4 cup bourbon1 teaspoon vanilla extract1/4 teaspoon salt6 ounces semisweet chocolate chips1 cup chopped pecans
Adjust Servings

Adjust
Metric US Original recipe yields 1 9-inch pie
Directions

Preheat oven to 325 degrees F (165 degrees F).
In a small saucepan combine sugar, corn syrup, and butter or margarine. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until butter or margarine melts and sugar dissolves. Cool slightly.
In a large bowl combine eggs, bourbon, vanilla, and salt. Mix well. Slowly pour sugar mixture into egg mixture, whisking constantly. Stir in chocolate chips and pecans. Pour mixture into pie shell.
Bake in preheated oven for 50 to 55 minutes, or until set and golden. May be served warm or chilled.

I would be able to mix all that ahead, put in a jar in the cooler and just pour it into a crust before putting it in the cooker, just like them San Saba River Pecan Company Pecan Pie In-A-Jar deals....

41lpozEa23L.jpg

Interesting thought...Verrrrrrry interesting. :thumb:

Ever cooked one of these with meat on the cooker? :becky:

I actually am thinking about doing a few packs of the small beef short ribs...the ones that Kroger sells that are full short ribs cut into halves or thirds so you still feel like you are eating meat on a stick. Will depend on how many people are coming.

I better wait until you all figure out what you are making. I was contemplating grabbing a slab of beef shorts from RD.

I better wait until you all figure out what you are making. I was contemplating grabbing a slab of beef shorts from RD.
Well, I could always find something else and let you buy the shorties :wink:

Well, I could always find something else and let you buy the shorties :wink:

So nice of you to let me bring the expensive stuff. :shock: I'll stop and take a look at what they have. The only problem with shorts is that even a full slab is only going to be a taste for everyone. You might be right about getting the individual bones (I might even have a few packs of those in the freezer already).

So nice of you to let me bring the expensive stuff. :shock: I'll stop and take a look at what they have. The only problem with shorts is that even a full slab is only going to be a taste for everyone. You might be right about getting the individual bones (I might even have a few packs of those in the freezer already).
:becky:

Yeah, with the small ones, it would be one small rib for whoever wants them (depending on attendance, of course).

I'm serious on the Baby Goat - Whole Goat with cactus leaves. :wink:

I'm serious on the Baby Goat - Whole Goat with cactus leaves. :wink:
Go for it...I won't be doing any whole animals at the bash (or ever...other than birds).

I like the pie idea, but I think I would have to do it after pulling or wrapping any meat in the cooker...maybe even do a quick wipe of any grease drippings.

Thoughts from folks that have made desserts in their cookers?

Still looking for a meat idea, too.

I think I will task Tasha with making some tater salad.

Given that I cannot bring a cooker, what if I do the supplies (plates, cups, silverware, paper towels, soap, etc...) instead of having to hijack someone's cooker or dragging something an hour in the car and cooking before I leave? You mentioned desert... while it wouldn't be smoked, I could probably pull off a pretzel salad. That would cut through the Q nicely.

Pencil me in for supplies and a dessert then.

P.S. If anyone wants to get adventurous with something that wouldn't take us all day to cook (like a packer), we could do a "trisket." I'm thinking I am the only one there that has had one, so you'd be in for a treat.

Back