• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Sugar in the Rub

thunter

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
Hey Brethren,

My ribs turn out great; however, I noticed that they are darker than most of the turn-in boxes I see. I have been told it is the sugar and/or brown sugar in the rub. What are your thoughts on this? I really want some nice-looking ribs as well as great tasting!

Here is a pic of some ribs that tasted awesome and had a good "competition tug" to them while eating; however, I am not satisfied with the color. Also, do you think the meat is pulled too far up on the bones?

Tony, I like the darker color of the ribs and I don't mind the bones showing. Just MHO.

You can use Turbinado sugar and they won't be as dark. The raw Turbinado sugar has a higher burn temp. so you have more time and temp. to play with. Stay away from the refined or molasses sugars if you want a lighter colored product.

thunter what I have done to tone down the color of my ribs is to foil them but when I foil them I dont foil tight. I set the ribs on the foil and pull the foil up but leave it open some what at the top so not to steam them. I smoke them to the color I like and them foil.Hope these pics help.

DSC01125.jpg

DSC01124.jpg

thunter what I have done to tone down the color of my ribs is to foil them but when I foil them I dont foil tight. I set the ribs on the foil and pull the foil up but leave it open some what at the top so not to steam them. I smoke them to the color I like and them foil.Hope these pics help.

DSC01125.jpg

DSC01124.jpg

what kind of ribs are those??

Scott, how long did you smoke that flatiron to get that rich bark? Sorry, I couldn't resist.

Flat iron??? I think that's a Murse. Better take it off as it looks pretty done!

Thats not a murse it's an attache case LOL. I didn't have any ribs laying around so I used my wifes day planner and man did it taste good.

Thats not a murse it's an attache case LOL. I didn't have any ribs laying around so I used my wifes day planner and man did it taste good.

Just kiddin...no offense takin hopefully :-D I do appreciate you takin the extra effort to demonstrate!

I don't put any sugar in my rib rub at all anymore. I add it when I foil, and then add honey to the sauce just before finishing. Tony, you may remember our ribs in Carmel last year... Good, but just a bit too dark. I decided to try it, and we've been consistently better since then, even won a 5th place at a comp with them.

I don't put any sugar in my rib rub at all anymore. I add it when I foil, and then add honey to the sauce just before finishing. Tony, you may remember our ribs in Carmel last year... Good, but just a bit too dark. I decided to try it, and we've been consistently better since then, even won a 5th place at a comp with them.

I do remember that. I am going to try a batch of my rub with sugar and see what happens.

Back