• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

New smoker is here!

fmm1

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
Got it home last night after a week of busy work. Put what lump charcoal I had left which wasn't much and lit it up with a couple wood chunks. It heated right up and about 400 in the fire box, and settled out at 225ish in the cook chamber within about an hour and i ran out of fire. I just wanted to see how it'd heat up. It's designed as a reverse flow but I dont have a plate in it yet. From the cool side to the hot side was only about 12-14 degrees difference. Really surprised me! Can't wait to do a test cook on it! Anyhow enough babble. Here's a couple pics:

Nice! Did you make it yourself?
What's the handle thingy at the fire box for?

I didn't make it myself. Had a guy I know build it for me. The handle is the vent control so you don't have to bend over to do it. It's on a hinge. A small break in will probably come today in the form of a slab of ribs.

I've had it running for about 2.5 hours now with very little adjustment. Got it up hot, shut it down some and it's holding 250 average temp like a champ. I threw a slab of St. Louis style ribs with a new rub I got and wanted to try. Can't wait to give these a shot. :mrgreen:

Nice looking rig, solid & no skimping on the firebox. For your RF plate, I just had the metal shop cut me several 1/4"x6" plates. For RF, I put them in tight against the firebox opening and each other leaving about 6"-12" open at the end opposite the firebox. Or you can space them out a little and they will act more like a baffel plate. very versatile.

Well I finished my first slab of ribs on the new smoker...

I won't tell you it was the best slab I've ever cooked but I'm just saying if they told me it was my final meal I'd ever eat.... I would have been very satisfied!

Back