MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 06-06-2012, 05:59 PM   #31
Will work for bbq
Babbling Farker

Another option to the two gussets on the vertical channel would be to replace the flat bar bridge with a 1 piece gusset (red) that acts as a doubler in that area. If you really wanted to beef it up further you could cap or box both sides in (cap shown in green).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg grate gusset.JPG (30.7 KB, 834 views)

Agent 000 (Double O Zero)
Certified MOINK Baller

When all else fails just ask yourself, WWGALD???
Super sexy Farkernaut Avatar by N8man

Will work for bbq is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->

Old 06-06-2012, 06:32 PM   #32
toadhunter911
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyd View Post
All,

Chad Grinding welded 2 - 1" angle irons together that will be welded to the grate frame that will guide the frame.

Mike
Great photo!

Thanks from:--->
Old 06-06-2012, 09:29 PM   #33
Hook_Line_and_Sinker
is One Chatty Farker

Totally awesome , great build

Viking 30 inch Gravity Fed Charcoal Smoker
Brinkmann 5 burner gas grill with sear & rotisserie
UDS's 3 and growing
Char Griller w/SFB w/mods
Orion Cooker
Charbroil 7000 Gas Grill
Hook_Line_and_Sinker is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-06-2012, 10:34 PM   #34
Igotgas
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by landarc View Post
Are you reinforcing the corners of the larger grate? I see potential problems with racking of the grate that is that large. The cross-braces under the grate will not be adequate to prevent corner racking. Neither will the welds. You might want to consider traingular gussets at the vertical supports, extending a few inches along the side, this would provide some resistance to twisting of the frame.

Considering the weight of the racks, especially the larger one, a 24" or 30" diameter wheel is a better choice, your leverage will just be better.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Will work for bbq View Post
Another option to the two gussets on the vertical channel would be to replace the flat bar bridge with a 1 piece gusset (red) that acts as a doubler in that area. If you really wanted to beef it up further you could cap or box both sides in (cap shown in green).
Quote:
Originally Posted by razrbakcrzy View Post
Try this design for your corner gussett's give the corner's a little radius the hole will let any fluid that collects drip through or heat up and vaporize.. Hope it helps...
^^^^^^^^This is why I am PROUD to be a member of this place. Everyone is always willing to give a hand.

Bob thanks for the heads up on the wheel size, I was thinking a smaller wheel (around 15-18") at first but after getting the small one built and then weighing it I wasn't sure how a smaller one would work

Thanks for the great ideas all. I knew I wanted to add some gussets but I wasn't sure what they were going to look like. Now we have all kinds of ideas.

I really like that idea for the doubler Will work for BBQ. I think we will incorporate that into the big one and I may add a triangle piece to the top of flat bar to make them look the same. The smaller rack is too far along to tear apart again

Awesome ideas keep them coming
[CENTER]Rescued Red MasterTouch - 1998[/CENTER]
[CENTER]Smoky Joe - 1984 (My Little Girls)[/CENTER]
[CENTER]Ranch Kettle X2- 2008 With Brother Marty Leach's Handles and 1991 CL find.[/CENTER]
[CENTER]SS Weber Performer X 2 [/CENTER]
Igotgas is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-07-2012, 11:38 AM   #35
basuraman
Full Fledged Farker

I live in East Sacramento feel free to drop it off at my house when you are done. Thanks.

Old 06-07-2012, 11:49 AM   #36
NorCalQue
On the road to being a farker

Looks like a fun build. Thanks for sharing the pics.
NorCalQue is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-07-2012, 12:33 PM   #37
landarc
somebody shut me the fark up.

Since it is not my build, or my money, I am gonna throw this out there.

Have you considered the idea of attaching, or accomodating, a rotisserie somewhere on the unit?

Chain drive or cable drive? I know cables are easier and all, but, using motorcycle chain is a very cool and beefy look. If you go cable, please use a cable that is thicker, you can get them at Westmarine, they look better than that stupid mini-cable people always use.

Yelonutz: me either, but, then again, I don't drink any less
[/SIZE][/COLOR][/COLOR][SIZE=1][COLOR=DarkRed]
[COLOR=Pink]SSS[/COLOR]
[/COLOR][/SIZE]
landarc is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-07-2012, 01:19 PM   #38
boggster
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Wow, great build! I see an SMG build in my future.

Old 06-07-2012, 01:49 PM   #39
1FUNVET
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddieh70301 View Post
I've been wanting a Santa Maria Grill for a long time. These grills are non existant here in Louisiana and it's hard to find someone who would know how to make the wheel etc.
I'm about to opt for a cinder block cooker and fabricate a grate that can be raised and lowered with some sort of crank system. i want it big enough to double as a small pig cooker and fire pit.

BTW, very cool build. Looking forward to the finished product.
None on my end of the state either. I'll be watching this one. Our fab shop is slow right now,so a government project would be good.
1FUNVET is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-07-2012, 03:56 PM   #40
mikeyd
Got Wood.

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by landarc View Post
Since it is not my build, or my money, I am gonna throw this out there.

Have you considered the idea of attaching, or accomodating, a rotisserie somewhere on the unit?

Chain drive or cable drive? I know cables are easier and all, but, using motorcycle chain is a very cool and beefy look. If you go cable, please use a cable that is thicker, you can get them at Westmarine, they look better than that stupid mini-cable people always use.

Landarc,

You can read minds can't you!! LOL I've been wanting to talk about that for so long now and I continue to forget to ask. So any ideas that would work really well. Any sites you can recommend or can you recommend one for me? I found these: http://spitjack.com/category/ROTISSERIES.html , but I don't know if this is what I need or something different.

Can you show me a design I can incorporate into the grill?

Also on the chain vs. steel cable can you tell me how to incorporate a chain and what would be needed that sounds awesome. How would the chain wrap up when raising the grates etc..??

Thanks again!

Old 06-07-2012, 04:26 PM   #41
garbageman59
On the road to being a farker

This definitely my next project. The Grillery/Grillworks website already has me dreaming and scheming. This is a must have backyard accessory! Great Work!!!!!
I like your style!

Old 06-07-2012, 05:13 PM   #42
BBQ PD
is one Smokin' Farker

Very nice build . Mine isn't stainless, but this is how I dealt with the vertical supports, and it works great.

CBJ, 15' custom BBQ trailer with a Backwoods Competitor, Pitts & Spitts off-set, & Santa Maria grill. Ole Hickory CTO, 1 BGE, 2 Weber kettles and 1 Smokey Joe, BWS Chubby, Sonoma gasser, and a BBQ store full of everything BBQ.
BBQ PD is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-08-2012, 03:41 PM   #43
mikeyd
Got Wood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBQ PD View Post
Very nice build . Mine isn't stainless, but this is how I dealt with the vertical supports, and it works great.

Dave,

Do you have a shot of what the entire grill looks like. I want to see what you did at the top and see if you have a wheel or ??

Thanks!

Mike

Old 06-12-2012, 09:30 AM   #44
BBQ PD
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyd View Post
Dave,

Do you have a shot of what the entire grill looks like. I want to see what you did at the top and see if you have a wheel or ??

Thanks!

Mike
Here you go.

CBJ, 15' custom BBQ trailer with a Backwoods Competitor, Pitts & Spitts off-set, & Santa Maria grill. Ole Hickory CTO, 1 BGE, 2 Weber kettles and 1 Smokey Joe, BWS Chubby, Sonoma gasser, and a BBQ store full of everything BBQ.
BBQ PD is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-12-2012, 10:02 AM   #45
Big Bears BBQ
is One Chatty Farker

That is looking pretty cool ....
Big Bears BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
BBQ Grill, BBQ Pit, Igotgas, Masonry Grill, Masonry Pit, Mike's Santa Maria Grill, Mikes Grill, Mikeyd, Santa Maria Grill