MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Old 01-27-2011, 09:55 AM   #91
dmprantz
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by drbbq View Post
That was a completely different deal. There was a guy there from the National Restaurant Association who'd written the rules and was responsible for enforcing them. We were just discussing it for TV.
Fair enough. I obviously wasn't there, and it wasn't KCBS anyway. I just thought that the point Guy raised about it not being something the butcher could have done for them interesting. This reminds me of that because a big part of what we are talking about, does it matter if you trim the meat or the butcher does?

dmp

dmprantz is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-27-2011, 09:56 AM   #92
roksmith
is one Smokin' Farker

How could it? You're not required to have untrimmed meat at inspection time.

Old 01-27-2011, 10:01 AM   #93
Juggy D Beerman
Full Fledged Farker

Once again, I will tell my version of how the pork parting rule evolved. (Bunny, if you are reading this, please correct me if I am mistaken. I know you and Rich were around in 1993 when the pork rule was changed.)

Prior to 1993, the KCBS had little restrictions on what could be submitted as a pork entry. Country-style ribs from the loin were allowed to be submitted as a rib entry. They were also allowed as a pork entry as long as you had not submitted them as your rib entry. ANY cut of pork was allowed to be submitted as long as the cut was not spare or back ribs. This meant loin cuts, tenderloin, pork steak, economy style (shoulder cut) ribs, ham steaks, ham and any other pork cut could be submitted.

When the rule was changed to pork shoulder/Boston butt/picnic weighing at least five pounds, there were teams trying to circumvent this rule. Once the meat was inspected, some teams would cut the shoulder into smaller cuts such as economy style ribs or pork steaks. This brought about the clause about the parting rule that some people think makes no sense.

Stouts,

Juggy
Juggy D Beerman is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 01-27-2011, 10:20 AM   #94
Finney
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jorge View Post
I've yet to see a definitive description of what a pork collar actually is; that comes from a recognized authority.
Your statement (even before you posted it) is the exact reason I keep posting to this thread.
Everyone was so quick to say that it is illegal without knowing what one was...

All of Europe and Australia (and I'm sure other places) call what we call a "Boston Butt", a "Collar Butt".

Now I still have no idea what SRF is selling. But just the fact that it's under 5 lbs makes it illegal.

Old 01-27-2011, 10:28 AM   #95
roksmith
is one Smokin' Farker

Completely agree. Now, if you call them up and specifically ask for one that is 5.1 lbs.. is it legal?

..that's assuming that it is indeed a special trim of a regular butt.
..btw I have an email into them asking what the heck it is and why they advertise it as for BBQ comps when it's under 5lbs.

Old 01-27-2011, 10:35 AM   #96
drbbq
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by roksmith View Post
Here is a reference document from the European Trade Commission on Meat Standardization.
http://www.unece.org/trade/agr/meeti...a01_Rev01e.pdf
It says that the collar butt and butt are interchangable and both are names for the Upper Shoulder(Boston Butt).
That's good news for the cheaters when KCBS starts sanctioning contests in Europe.
drbbq is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 01-27-2011, 10:41 AM   #97
Finney
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
That's good news for the cheaters when KCBS starts sanctioning contests in Europe.

That was funny... (whether you meant it to be, or not)

Thanks from:--->
Old 01-27-2011, 10:41 AM   #98
roksmith
is one Smokin' Farker

It's the same hunk of meat Ray.
Awfully rude of Europe not to use an American term to name their cuts of pork.

Old 01-27-2011, 10:41 AM   #99
dmprantz
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Now I'll go back to one of my original questions on this thread: Are you saying that people are cheaters because it has a different name or because it is something else?

dmp

dmprantz is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-27-2011, 10:43 AM   #100
Alexa RnQ
is Blowin Smoke!

Location: the Ninth Ring of Hell, cleverly disguised as Phoenix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finney View Post
That was funny... (whether you meant it to be, or not)
What's hilarious is that people will turn themselves inside out trying to skate on the thin edge of logistics when a pork butt is the most forgiving meat in the lineup.

[url=http://www.rhythmnque.com]Rhythm 'n QUE[/url]
Alexa RnQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 01-27-2011, 10:44 AM   #101
Jorge
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by roksmith View Post
Completely agree. Now, if you call them up and specifically ask for one that is 5.1 lbs.. is it legal?

..that's assuming that it is indeed a special trim of a regular butt.
..btw I have an email into them asking what the heck it is and why they advertise it as for BBQ comps when it's under 5lbs.
Based on pictures I've seen there is no standard in the US, and that's a huge part of the issue.

There is a huge opportunity for growth in competition BBQ at this point. KCBS and cooks, both have an obligation to deal with it responsibly at this point. If it turns into boxing, with the corruption and cheating, it's dead. If it's managed properly there is the opportunity for growth that can benefit everyone.

I hope enough people get that, because the window of opportunity isn't going to be open forever.

Keeping Valspar in BBQ, one cook at a time.

Recipient of a Huggies box!

Shut up, and cook!!!!
Jorge is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-27-2011, 10:53 AM   #102
Finney
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by DivaHerself View Post
What's hilarious is that people will turn themselves inside out trying to skate on the thin edge of logistics when a pork butt is the most forgiving meat in the lineup.
Hey, I buy my butts at Sam's, RD, or the supermarket... I'm just debating the legalities of the cut...

Old 01-27-2011, 10:54 AM   #103
roksmith
is one Smokin' Farker

I'm just arguing because it's fun.

btw... do we sanction any events in Boston? If so, better take your Boston Butt with you. They don't call them Boston Butts there either.

Old 01-27-2011, 10:57 AM   #104
drbbq
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmprantz View Post
Now I'll go back to one of my original questions on this thread: Are you saying that people are cheaters because it has a different name or because it is something else?

dmp
I'm not getting into the hair splitting and nit picking. A butt is a butt and if those things are butts and they weigh over 5 lbs they're legal.
When somebody gets beat out of big money with one we're probably going to find out from a court.

Maybe somebody should ask SRF to change the name. And then maybe there's some obscure country that considers 4lbs to be the same as 5 lbs in the US. Then we'll be all set.

Old 01-27-2011, 10:58 AM   #105
drbbq
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by DivaHerself View Post
Well it is the internet.