logo

Wagyu "Marble Score" for comp brisket??

The_Kapn

Moderator Emeritus

Batch Image
Reaction score
Like RonL, I am holding a winning LOTTO ticket for Sat Night. :-D
So, have been researching Brisket Marble Scores for Wagyu.

SRF seems to be the leading supplier for comp teams and their website talks about Marble Grades, but does not list the scores for their briskets.
I sent an email to them this AM requesting some info on the scores of their Wagyu.

Wagyu is huge business in Australia with over twice the cow population of the US. And they are very strict in their grading.

My supplier can get me fresh Aus Wagyu brisket with a Marble Score of 5 (or better) for $5.50/ lb (pick up in Panama City). 14lb plus for weight.
Marble Score of 9 is $9.50/ lb.

Any one have input on Marble Scores or experience with the various scores??

Thanks,

TIM

I do know SRF has three different grades..the normal black label,silver label(even more marbling)and the gold label(so much marbling in this one the meat is a whitish pink color)..I've had all three and I think the silver was best

Received a quick reply from SRF.

"Thank you for your interest in our Snake River Farms Wagyu Beef. As the USDA scale doesn't go any higher than prime we use a Japanese scale that has a range of 1 - 12. A typical Prime cut would rank at about a 5 on that scale whereas our American Wagyu would rank between 6 - 8. We hope this answers your question. We'll look forward to seeing your orders and good luck in your BBQ Competitions this year!!
Sincerely,
Snake River Farms Customer Care"

TIM

LOL!..we just got 2 from Strube yesterday.and they look great we will see how they do at Pala.

Would love to hear your evaluation after the contest.
That's what I am looking for--Hands on information.

Good Luck

TIM

Would love to hear your evaluation after the contest.
That's what I am looking for--Hands on information.

Good Luck

TIM
Sure I'll post back here on Monday after the comp and see how it comes out..both briskets are 16 pounders and the flat is quite thicker than what we've been getting from SRF..I just hope we hit the right table with it!

Big Poppa do you have a website or link to the Strube information?

Thanks

He's got em on the front page of the Big Poppa Smokers website.

Back