beans for 200

s is usually Everyone is preaching "Low and slow" unless they are talking beans.

Beans can be cooked from dry beans on site. How long does it take to cook your meat? The beans can be cooked during that time----you are not saving time, labor or content. A number 10 can of beans is usually in the 7 dollar range. Dry beans are more cost effective. Do not laugh at beans from scratch

issue is.. I never did from scratch and dont want to risk screwing anything up.

Second issue, i am limited in stovetop space, limited in time, limited in hands. I have to go simple.

third. this is NY.. beans are an afterthought. Not all that popular. The restaurant guys say its the least popular. The rice and salads will be the targets around here.. they beans would only be the guys looking to have farting vontests.

I do a modified version but i put 1 1/2 #10 cans in a full size pan (along with all the other ingredients fills it up) and that serves 50 easily at about 8 oz PP.
4 full pans or 6 #10 cans should set you nicely.

YMMV :cool:

If you put your beans in a full size pan, how do you keep them warm? I use the chafing stands with a fullsize pan for steam, and two half size pans for food. Do you just put the fullsize pan on a chafer by itself? If so, how do you keep it from scorching the food without some sort of barrier like water?

issue is.. I never did from scratch and dont want to risk screwing anything up.

Second issue, i am limited in stovetop space, limited in time, limited in hands. I have to go simple.

third. this is NY.. beans are an afterthought. Not all that popular. The restaurant guys say its the least popular. The rice and salads will be the targets around here.. they beans would only be the guys looking to have farting vontests.

I agree and scratch is a waste of time when you can make awesome beans from a can. I think beans became traditional BBQ sides because they were easy and cheap.

My mom wouldn't eat beans now, since that is all they ate as kids.... for every meal. Beans and cornbread.... I love both but I can understand where some folks would have an issue.

If you put your beans in a full size pan, how do you keep them warm? I use the chafing stands with a fullsize pan for steam, and two half size pans for food. Do you just put the fullsize pan on a chafer by itself? If so, how do you keep it from scorching the food without some sort of barrier like water?

I use the half pans for all my sides and for the meats as well when pre-carved. It keeps them manageable and when my wife or kids help me I feel better knowing they wont have too much to handle.

When vending, i'm working out of steam tables.
For catering, you are correct, 2 half pans set in a full pan with water.

I was just using the full pan as a measuring guide. :biggrin:

"third. this is NY.. beans are an afterthought. Not all that popular. The restaurant guys say its the least popular. The rice and salads will be the targets around here.. they beans would only be the guys looking to have farting vontests."

I realize I'm commenting on this one after the fact, but....Phil - this was what I was thinking as I read through this thread.

Quantity of beans/person really depends on the people - and the beans.

In (most of) Texas, pintos seem to be as popular as regular ol' baked beans (navy beans, right?). I'd bet if you tried to serve pintos up in LawnGuyLand you'd have a lot left over.

Now if you're serving beans to a bunch of guys, I'm guessing you'd serve more per person than if you served the same beans to a bunch of little old church lady bridge club types.

Just my two cents worth.

edit.... By the way, did anybody else think of Jeopardy when reading the subject of this post? "I'd like Beans for 200 Alex"

Last edited by a moderator:
Back