Anybody heard oif putting meat in a cooler??

B

BIGBrandon2785

I seen somebody the other day cook pork steaks and put em in a cooler full of ice then re heat them on the grill.What does this do??

I haven't heard of that, but we do a lot of putting stuff in a cooler wrapped in towels to keep until time for pulling and/or serving. I'm not even sure it would be safe to put something on ice right off the grill or out of the smoker. I'm sure someone with more experience than me will chime in shortly.

Was he reheating them later? Putting meat in an ice bath is a good way of cooling it quickly if you are going to hold it for use later.

Was he reheating them later? Putting meat in an ice bath is a good way of cooling it quickly if you are going to hold it for use later.
Nope,he wraped the steaks in foil and put them in ice for about 20 minutes,then took them out of the cooler and put back on the grill??Crazyest BBQ ive ever seen :-D

You saw him do that? I would have asked him why he does that for sure!!
How bizarre o_O

You saw him do that? I would have asked him why he does that for sure!!
How bizarre o_O
I was gonna ask but I dident knows the guy and I dident want to come off as rude,I asked somebody else about it and they said the guy says it makes it tender.

I was at a Japanese hibachi grill one time and saw the cook do that. It was called ice steak. I asked them, and they said it made the steak more tender. Sounds weird to me.

It may sound silly but you can get a good charred outer layer while keep the middle raw if you burn the outside then ice it to stop the cooking. Then you warm it a bit before you eat.

Does it work? who knows. Is their an easier way, definitely. Use a hotter fire to sear the meat.

With the steak being ice cold , it allows you to to char the outside , without overcooking the middle of the meat to quickly. Usually for beef steaks though , to have a rare center..

Sorry read the post wrong...Thought it said putting steak on ice "Before Cooking"... Like not letting a steak coming to room temp. before cooking...

Back