MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 10-05-2013, 06:13 PM   #11491
shovelrobert
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Food came out good, pictures don't do it justice, there were some sweet Italian sausages but something happened to them by the time the chicken was done.
IMG00282-20131005-1814.jpg

IMG00283-20131005-1821.jpg

IMG00284-20131005-1821.jpg

Old 10-06-2013, 06:06 AM   #11492
shovelrobert
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

The nuts and bolts for the axles are 5/8 , the jam nut on the inside allows you to adjust the bearings then lock it together so the bolt won't back out.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG00251-20130929-1059.jpg (58.2 KB, 871 views)

Old 10-06-2013, 11:00 AM   #11493
banderson1357
Found some matches.

Default First Time Poster...learning

Been viewing this thread for a while and got some good ideas from it. Have built 5 UDS' so far, this is latest...see if pics will post OK. Waiting to find a Weber dome for it, bartered the others away!! Try to make them with stuff I have laying around or can scrounge up from scrap yard sales etc. Barrels usually cost me $25.00 at scrap dealer. The 3.5" inlet works great and is easy to reach. Scrap cedar shelf on this one. Happy BBQ'ing!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20130902_101022.jpg (45.6 KB, 858 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20130902_101151.jpg (101.7 KB, 856 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20130902_101212.jpg (82.5 KB, 858 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20130902_101236.jpg (92.6 KB, 858 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20130902_101336.jpg (99.1 KB, 858 views)

Old 10-06-2013, 07:36 PM   #11494
RT
Full Fledged Farker

Nice job banderson1357.
RT is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-08-2013, 03:19 PM   #11495
DjPorkchop
is one Smokin' Farker

[quote=ebijack;2646631][QUOTE=DjPorkchop;2646531]Hello everyone. Long time lurker, firs time poster in the UDS thread.I built my first UDS.
In my case, I put the cap on the rear vent at 200 and closed my valves half way and the temps plumeted well below 200. I then opened the valves all the way and left the cap on and it came up to 200 on the dial (250 i would guess). And there it sat. I then took the cap off the back vent, closed my valves half way and she leveled out at 225 on the dial, again I'm sure not accurate. I actually found myself chasing temps for a better part of 5 hours.
Decisions decisions. This is my first smoker ever and by the end of the day of seasoning, I was plum worn out chasing temps. Any good tips or advice?
Quote:
Every smoker is about air flow control. If your chasing temps, your tending it too much. Make a change and wait till it stabilizes. It sounds like you started with too many lit coals, and ended up choking off the fire and them fighting to get the coals going again which can take awhile to stabilize. That is also something that changes a bit with each smoker and you have to learn how many to lite for your smoker. How big is your coal basket, is it off the base of the drum, Your stand pipes might be to restrictive for your drum, should be easy to remove and try again just to verify. A lot of variable's with every drum design. Don't give up. Did you do a high temp burn yet?
Thanks for the reply I appreciate it. As far as a high temp burn, I did manage to get the UDS up in the 350 range for a good hour or so.

When I lit my coals, I did use a chimney that was almost full and the remainder of the coals in the bag went in to my coal basket. (6 lb lump)

My coal basket is made from a 18 inch cheapo BBQ grill (the base of the grill and the gill rack). The basket I mounted to the grill grate was made by using 2 pieces of 12x24 expanded metal wrapped around a propane tank for shape. It is about 13 inches across and about 11.5 inches deep.

A valuable lesson I learned is that I BADLY need a nice smoker/meat probe. I am not so trusting of the dial I have mounted. On a side note, I have mounted 3 bolts in the barrel just above my coal basket. I was going to get a extra large pizza pan and drill it out for a heat diffuser.

All in all, I love the UDS and am excited to get in to the world of smoking food. This is my first attempt at it. I have never used a smoker before I built this drum.

The attached image is my coal basket attempt. The remains in it are after a 5 or 6 hour season run of 6 lbs of coal.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg basket1.jpg (104.3 KB, 752 views)

Last edited by DjPorkchop; 10-08-2013 at 05:43 PM.. Reason: adding an image
DjPorkchop is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-08-2013, 03:24 PM   #11496
DjPorkchop
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by rifraf View Post
Hello great looking drum there DjPorkchop. Just curious if you may have restricted air flow issue? Do you have the 2" bung hole open on the top of the lid as well as your 4 stacks or just the 4 stacks. The four stacks has a area of 1.76625 inches. I only run with a the two inch exhaust which has an area of 3.14 inches. Almost double the size of just the 4 stacks. My temps settle in at about 275 with my one inch ball valve open half way and the other two caps closed! I use royal oak lump from Menard's because i can get it at just under 3 bucks during the Memorial Day sale! I start my fire with a weed burner which should be equivalent to about a half to a full chimney full of lit coals. Also if I would need to i can run the temp up to 350 or even 400 with just the ball valve. Just dont give up do a few more practice runs till you figure out what works best for you. Also dont be afraid of a temp swing of 20 or 30 degrees either direction. Once you learn your beast you will love it and the family will love the great q!!!
Hello rifraf and thanks for the reply. I did have the 2" as well as the 1" (??) closed during the seasoning run.

I do plan to give it another run this weekend if the weather treats me good. Before I go and ruin some expensive cuts, I am tossing the idea around about doing some chicken maybe and some MOINKS and a couple fattys. If things turn out good, then great and I can look like a Q king to the wife and kids and if it goes bad, then well it was only chicken anyhow and I got to practice running the old girl again.

I appreciate your reply and look forward to hearing form you again. Take care and happy Q'ing!!

Old 10-08-2013, 07:07 PM   #11497
HookedOnQ
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by banderson1357 View Post
Been viewing this thread for a while and got some good ideas from it. Have built 5 UDS' so far, this is latest...see if pics will post OK. Waiting to find a Weber dome for it, bartered the others away!! Try to make them with stuff I have laying around or can scrounge up from scrap yard sales etc. Barrels usually cost me $25.00 at scrap dealer. The 3.5" inlet works great and is easy to reach. Scrap cedar shelf on this one. Happy BBQ'ing!
Just wondering how this works with the intake higher than your exhaust. Would think there would be some airflow issue there. I have always thought you exhaust needed to be higher than your intake I guess thats not true cause it looks to be working for you

Old 10-10-2013, 03:28 PM   #11498
49erUDS72
Found some matches.

Default photo of my UDS

barrel.jpg
49erUDS72 is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 10-10-2013, 04:09 PM   #11499
banderson1357
Found some matches.

Ya no prob. Have a pipe to extend if needed. The heat from the coals naturally rises and pretty much creates it's own draft.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HookedOnQ View Post
Just wondering how this works with the intake higher than your exhaust. Would think there would be some airflow issue there. I have always thought you exhaust needed to be higher than your intake I guess thats not true cause it looks to be working for you

Old 10-10-2013, 04:11 PM   #11500
banderson1357
Found some matches.

Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RT View Post
Nice job banderson1357.

Old 10-11-2013, 10:58 AM   #11501
Countryboyswagger
Knows what a fatty is.

So my boss man decided to let me have three drums from work for compensation for a bad TDY trip. As far as I know, these were bought new and we only used them to drain and store hydraulic fluid for a giant pump we have while we moved it, then put the oil back in the pump. These have been fairly empty since then, which was a few years ago. My question is about the lining. Just from looking at it (and the beginnings of rust spots) I'm assuming that these have no liners? I just want to be sure of what I'm looking at because I have no idea what the different linings might look like. I still plan on doing the burning, just to get the old oil and whatever else cleaned out, but any suggestions would be great. Thanks guys.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMAG1561.jpg (25.4 KB, 708 views)
File Type: jpg IMAG1562.jpg (24.3 KB, 708 views)
File Type: jpg IMAG1563.jpg (31.6 KB, 709 views)

Old 10-11-2013, 12:56 PM   #11502
ebijack
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : tom

put a few of your base inlet holes, then burn baby burn!
ebijack is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-11-2013, 02:11 PM   #11503
DjPorkchop
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebijack View Post
I agree. I burnt one without base holes and another with and the one with seemed like it burnt hotter and faster.

Drink a beer and watch the show!!

Never be afraid to try something new. Amateurs built the Ark, Professionals built the Titanic

Old 10-11-2013, 04:03 PM   #11504
RT
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebijack View Post

This is all you need....
RT is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-11-2013, 08:38 PM   #11505
Mr. Bo
is one Smokin' Farker

What they said.. The drums are clean with no liner so burn em and build em.
Traeger Lil Pig
Mr. Bo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
divided circle template, uds, ugly drum, ugly drum grill, ugly drum smoker