MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Old 06-10-2019, 08:57 PM   #1
thunter
is One Chatty Farker

Default Lang 48 Patio in Competition

I have a Lang 48 Patio and would like some ideas on getting it to and from competitions. Any advice will be appreciated. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pit Happens!

Smokefleet Command
Lang 48 Patio - "Enterprise"
Weber 22.5 Premium Kettle - "Galileo"
Weber SmokeFire EX6 - “Defiant”
thunter is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-11-2019, 09:19 AM   #2
midwest_kc
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : Joel

cargo trailer?

Thanks from:--->
Old 06-11-2019, 09:28 AM   #3
sudsandswine
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Before I had my Shirley converted to a trailer, it was in golf cart configuration, weighing in at around 1600lbs. I took it to one competition that way, but loaded it on a trailer a few times. I just used a standard utility trailer with fold down ramp gate, a come-along, and the help of a couple buddies. It was not easy to load or unload this way, but yours is probably a good bit lighter. A winch of some sort may help...I have one of these, but it does require access to AC power.

https://www.northerntool.com/shop/to...5486_200455486

Come-along

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Steel-Co...6701/304236629

Thanks from: --->
Old 06-11-2019, 10:36 AM   #4
thunter
is One Chatty Farker

Thanks guys! A cargo trailer and a come-along or electric winch. This is very helpful. I have also asked Lang for options to convert it to a trailer. We’ll see how much that costs before I decide.

Thanks Brethren! [emoji4]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pit Happens!

Smokefleet Command

Old 06-11-2019, 02:13 PM   #5
ClaytonSmoke
Got Wood.

Name/Nickname : Steve

We competed last year with a Lang 36". Rented a 5x8 utility trailer with fold down tail gate and used a cordless winch to load and unload. Friends can help too, but I found they were not usually in good shape by the end of the comp. We were beat by the end of the weekend with all the loading and unloading, but had a lot of fun.

Cordless winch: https://www.amazon.com/WARN-885005-P...61582483&psc=1
ClaytonSmoke is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-11-2019, 04:43 PM   #6
Stlsportster
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Parental Assigned Label

I took my 36D Patio to the local Bash last year on a Uhaul motorcycle trailer.

https://www.uhaul.com/Trailers/Motor...ler-Rental/MT/

Plenty of room, even for the 48 plus coolers and stuff...lower bed and ramp designed for motorcycles. My 14 yr old and I loaded it without a winch.

Cheap too.

Just make sure you strap it down well...

Stlsportster is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-12-2019, 08:38 AM   #7
jermoQ
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Jeremy

A small trailer with a fold down ramp would be the way to go. It would also give you room for everything else. Close to me they are $500 to $1200 depending on size. Or go the uhaul route if you dont want to purchase one

Old 06-12-2019, 01:25 PM   #8
BBQ_MAFIA
somebody shut me the fark up.

I hesitated to post this as it is not what you will want to hear, It is however, something you may want to think about and just my opinion.

Buying or Renting a Trailer to move a 48 patio will get expensive and will always be a pain. In the beginning it will be fun, and if you don't do it often I'm sure it will not be an issue. However, if you plan to compete often, (several times a season), moving that size cooker will get old fast especially at the end of a contest and after staying up all night to feed the fire box every half hour. This is excluding the effect of bad weather (rain), and the possibility of getting stuck in the mud.

If you are planning on competing often you may want to think about a couple of WSM, or UDS, or getting a Lang on a trailer.

We compete with a Lang 84 on a Trailer and with that we are very tired at the end.

My comments are well intended, honest, and again, just my two cents.

Good luck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jermoQ View Post
A small trailer with a fold down ramp would be the way to go. It would also give you room for everything else. Close to me they are $500 to $1200 depending on size. Or go the uhaul route if you dont want to purchase one

Lang 60
Lang 84 Deluxe Warmer with Chargrill
Large Spicewine
Large BGE
XL - BGE
Med. BGE ( Bought it for my son Vincenzo)
Brinkman Snp
Brinkman ECB
GOSM
Weber Kettle
Kenmore Elite Gasser
Camp Chef Outdoor Stove
Blackstone Pizza Oven
Blackstone 36" Griddle
1-Banjo
BBQ_MAFIA is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-12-2019, 01:38 PM   #9
thunter
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBQ_MAFIA View Post
I hesitated to post this as it is not what you will want to hear, It is however, something you may want to think about and just my opinion.

Buying or Renting a Trailer to move a 48 patio will get expensive and will always be a pain. In the beginning it will be fun, and if you don't do it often I'm sure it will not be an issue. However, if you plan to compete often, (several times a season), moving that size cooker will get old fast especially at the end of a contest and after staying up all night to feed the fire box every half hour. This is excluding the effect of bad weather (rain), and the possibility of getting stuck in the mud.

If you are planning on competing often you may want to think about a couple of WSM, or UDS, or getting a Lang on a trailer.

We compete with a Lang 84 on a Trailer and with that we are very tired at the end.

My comments are well intended, honest, and again, just my two cents.

Good luck.

Thanks for the candid reply! I really appreciate what you have said and have been thinking about getting a couple of WSMs for competing instead of trying to haul the 48. I have a message in to Lang to see what the cost of converting it to a trailer would be. If not too much I will do that. It cost is an issue I will go the WSM route. I had two WSMs that I sold - 18”. Now wishing I held on to them. :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Pit Happens!

Smokefleet Command

Old 06-12-2019, 02:34 PM   #10
midwest_kc
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : Joel

Another thing you could do is get an enclosed cargo trailer, with a ramp door. Once you get it in the trailer, don't take it out. Use Jack Stands to prop the ramp level with the floor of the trailer, and make yourself a "porch" so to speak. No getting stuck in mud, you don't have to load/unload multiple times. Just wheel on to the porch and call it good!

That said, you would need an enclosed cargo trailer, which may end up more than any other option.

Old 06-12-2019, 02:50 PM   #11
ronbrad62
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : Ron

Along the lines of the other suggestions, a porch trailer (if in the budget) would allow easy transportation and you wouldn't have to load/unload. Also, there is a camper ( a toy hauler type) with a front platform that would be ideal to set up as a cook area and you would have comfortable living quarters. I did the comps and hauled my offsets ( first an OJ Highland, then an Old Country Over/Under) by renting utility trailers and it was a chore in addition to staying up to feed those beasts. Worse than teenagers. I use a Trail Embers and a UDS now and get some sleep.
ronbrad62 is online now   Reply With Quote