Trying to decide

BRTLATJGT

Knows what a fatty is.
For around $2000-$2500 or so, which would you buy?

Stumps, Spicewine, or Backwoods. Also has anyone heard anything about new company called Dixie Boy?

I've kind of ruled out the Cookshack's. A little concerned about electronics going out.

Thanks for your help in making a decision.

Last edited:
They are all nice smokers. I think the spicewine is the most bang for the buck.

From what I've seen first hand, I think the build quality of Spicewine and Backwoods are better than stumps. If you want a cabinet smoker than go with Spicewine, they're nice rigs!

I suppose I can't give an unbiased opionion really as a stumps owner. They are all good units and I can't imagine being unsatisfied with any of them.

I can say in all honesty though, that I am %100 satisfied with my Stumps

Study them both well, there are some advantages of the Backwoods weight being one of them.Which ever you pick you will be happy!!

I don't think you can go wrong with any of the cookers you mentioned they are all well built and each have some advantages over the others.

Having said that I love my Backwoods but if the weight of the cooker weren't and issue for me I would have bought a Spicewine. I still plan on Buying a Spicewine in the future for competition but I have to have a different set up to be able to do what I want to with it.

All 3 are good vertical units. Here is a quick comparison of price to size.

With Backwoods you could get 2 Party models for $2448, each being 22" x 23" x 47". Comes with 6 shelves each with 11 sq ft of cooking space. With both of them you would have 22 sq ft total cooking space.

With Spicewine you could get a Medium model for $2000 that is 24" x 30" x 48". Comes with 3 racks with almost 9 sq ft of cooking space. you could add more racks in this one but you would have to purchase them seperately. All told you may get about 12 to 14 sq ft of cooking space max (within reason).

With Stumps you could get an Elite Model 4 for $1995 that is 23" x 25" x 32". I don't know what number of shelves it comes with or the cooking area. It is shorter than the other two units though, so you probably won't get as much as the above options.

Now remember, all 3 of these are quality units. There are other differences between them, but these are personal choices mostly. People are happy with all of these units far as I know.

If I were going by price per square foot I would do the 2 Backwoods Party models. Most bang for the buck.

With Stumps you could get an Elite Model 4 for $1995 that is 23" x 25" x 32". I don't know what number of shelves it comes with or the cooking area. It is shorter than the other two units though, so you probably won't get as much as the above options.

The Elite 4 has 4 shelves.

If I'm not mistaken, the Spicewine is deep enough to hold full size trays where the other units have square shelve that are neither deep enough or wide enough to do this.

Do doubt I am a flat out Spicewine fan (Probably the best build quality and craftsmenship of all three) and I would highly recommend it. The reason I can't recommend Backwoods is at this years Battle of the BBQ Brethren we lifted Nancee's of Purple Turtle BBQ Backwoods smoker off their trailer and put it on their truck so they could get it repaired. When we lifted it off, we saw that the bottom of the smoker had completely burned through. It didn't look pretty so I would have a tuff time recommending it.

We have a trailer with a fold down door on the back. It takes 2 guys to roll our SW up the ramp, and it isnt very hard to do either. It only takes one guy to roll it down. :)

Not nowing the age of the Backwoods and their maintanance pratices it wold be hard to tell why this happened. If it happened prematurely Mike is a stand up guy and will rectify the issue. I have used mine for three years in catering and it's as good as when I bought. Now sings of any problems.

I get mine on monady. It's going to be farking cold next week to break it in. If you can swing the convection it's worth the extra change.

If I'm not mistaken, the Spicewine is deep enough to hold full size trays where the other units have square shelve that are neither deep enough or wide enough to do this.

Big Mista. Are there advantages to being able to hold full size trays. Is that for cooking or keeping warm?

Thanks,
Brian

Big Mista. Are there advantages to being able to hold full size trays. Is that for cooking or keeping warm?

Thanks,
Brian

Brian - It can work for both especially if you are catering or having a backyard party etc. At the Dr. BBQ class last year, Phil made sausage and peppers and baked ziti in full trays. They were cold and we used my Spicewine to re-heat.

My vote for that cash goes to the Spicewine with the extra racks.

Back