• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

CyberQ WiFi Web Service Info (Super Nerdy)

I question their skills as writing xml, but whatever, it works.

Heh. Yeah. I would have preferred JSON, but as you say: whatever. For such trivial data the format hardly matters. For my little gnuplot graphing tool I don't even use an XML parser, I just use bash. Literally, it's curl or wget of all.xml piped to this:

Code:
get_status() {
    local IFS="<>$IFS"
    while read W N V E R
    do
        [ "/$N" = "$E" ] && eval $N=$V
    done
}
This converts a line of XML like "<FOOD1_SET>1800</FOOD1_SET>" into the executable (vla eval) statement FOOD1_SET=1800.

(If you haven't played with this, no, that's not self-clean mode -- the temps are reported in units of degrees * 10, which is goofy, but whatever.)

Chad I do have the alarms setup right now. I have a pork butt cooking right now.

I am running an unofficial version of CM10 on my phone and it is less than stable. But I am having a horrible time keeping the service running. I am going to blame the OS not your app for that though. The alarms do work when I can keep the service running.

Palm I have the new version running. Looks great. Thanks for adding in the pit temp alarm!!

Last edited:
(If you haven't played with this, no, that's not self-clean mode -- the temps are reported in units of degrees * 10, which is goofy, but whatever.)

Considering they are doing this all on a low power processor the *10 actually makes sense. They can still use an int and get 1/10th precision. On these tiny processors floats or doubles take up tons of space and are slow to process. So 1805 is 180.5. Now do we really need .5* increments? Probably not considering the probe's error tolerance is +-2* lol, so point taken.

Chad I do have the alarms setup right now. I have a pork butt cooking right now.

I am running an unofficial version of CM10 on my phone and it is less than stable. But I am having a horrible time keeping the service running. I am going to blame the OS not your app for that though. The alarms do work when I can keep the service running.

Palm I have the new version running. Looks great. Thanks for adding in the pit temp alarm!!

I know it has an issue when rotating the screen, that will make it crash, when you say you can't keep the service running is the app crashing (ie Force Close) or does the service just stop? If the app can't connect to the CyberQ after a few tries (out of range, wifi disconnects, etc) it will terminate itself otherwise it will sit there and keep trying to get updates, eating up battery. I ran some ribs the other day for about 6hrs and never had an issue with the service. Always glad to hear feedback so thanks!

Chad

I know it has an issue when rotating the screen, that will make it crash, when you say you can't keep the service running is the app crashing (ie Force Close) or does the service just stop? If the app can't connect to the CyberQ after a few tries (out of range, wifi disconnects, etc) it will terminate itself otherwise it will sit there and keep trying to get updates, eating up battery. I ran some ribs the other day for about 6hrs and never had an issue with the service. Always glad to hear feedback so thanks!

Chad

It was only crashing when I was upstairs now that I think about it and my wireless can be a bit spotty up there. I also had it on 2 second updates. I will back it off to at least 30 second updates next time and see how that works. The error that came up flashed by really quick, but it did look like it something about the connection.

Palm,
Upgrade to 1.1 firmware no problem. I'm trying to run 2.0.0.5 but I keep getting

"Unhandled exception had occurred in a component in your application. An error occurred while executing the command definition"

I uninstalled previous version before installing the new version.

Chad, I tried using the android app and it tells me "preview app exceded timelimit. please update." Any updates?

Keep up the great work you guys. It's awesome to see this kind of support for the cyberq

Hi Rick --

Downloading your 2.005 app now. What's different between this and 2.04? Were you able to implement the post 80 username/password feature on the updated CyberQ firmware?

Great software!

Bobby,
I have not looked at that yet. Next version I will add that.

Hi Rick --

Downloading your 2.005 app now. What's different between this and 2.04? Were you able to implement the post 80 username/password feature on the updated CyberQ firmware?

Great software!

Mark
Can you send me a screen shot. I'll PM you with my private email.

Rick
Palm,
Upgrade to 1.1 firmware no problem. I'm trying to run 2.0.0.5 but I keep getting

"Unhandled exception had occurred in a component in your application. An error occurred while executing the command definition"

I uninstalled previous version before installing the new version.

Chad, I tried using the android app and it tells me "preview app exceded timelimit. please update." Any updates?

Keep up the great work you guys. It's awesome to see this kind of support for the cyberq

Very nice. Any change of an 'Export to Excel' for the data? (Or is it there and I missed it?)

Hi Bobby,

Yea there are plans to add the export excel feature to the webportal?

Have you had chance to use the app on a cook?

Thanks for the feedback!

Chad. I downloaded and installed the updated version. Now i get the message "unfortunately bbq monitor has stopped" and the app closes every time i try to enter my controller info and refresh data.

Try doing a clear data/cache on the app, something might have stuck from the first install since I didn't change the version number.

Hi Bobby,

Yea there are plans to add the export excel feature to the webportal?

Have you had chance to use the app on a cook?

Thanks for the feedback!

Not a full cook. I've been waiting on the username/password issue for the port forwarding. I mentioned this in an email, but I'm really leery about forwarding an open port 80 (especially to a live BBQ pit) without some kind of authentication. It sounds like you've implemented it, so I'm going to give it a try tomorrow (Friday) and over the weekend with a couple of cooks. I'll keep you posted.

What I do like, though, is the ability to log into your site and view the logs and graph. I think once you give users to ability to export their data (Excel or even a PDF) you've got a winner.

One thing I'd like -- and I'd like to see this in all the CyberQ apps -- is the ability to add notes to a specific time point on the graph. I'd like to, for example, have a cook going and then with my iPhone add a specific note that's attached to a specific time -- "Brisket on," "Added more wood," etc. etc. -- and then have those notes appear as pop-ups for the overall cooking graph.

I'd also like to see stats over time -- not sure what those would be -- but stuff like "Biggest temp drop" or "Longest cook" or "Shortest cook" -- I don't know exactly. But an app like this would be really useful once you're able to track a single cook and analyze multiple cooks -- essentially looking for patterns. Again, I'm not sure what those would be -- but that kind of analysis (either with my own data and all the data in the aggregate) would really make it a killer BBQ app (for geeks, especially).

Another interesting thing would be giving the user the ability to group together categories of cooks -- all my 'Costo Brisket flat' cooks -- and then looking to see what's the same (or different) when all the cooks are grouped on a single graph. Meat type graphs by weight, by grade, etc. Looking, for example, at the time and temp graphs by weight for, say, pork butts from one supplier versus another.

I realize this is getting way away from the essential core of BBQ, but it seems like a logical (although complex) outgrowth of the CyberQ's wifi ability.

Try doing a clear data/cache on the app, something might have stuck from the first install since I didn't change the version number.

I tried this and still get the same error. I do see the cyberq flash for a second meaning the app is communicating with it but for some reason it shuts down. I've tried over wifi and 4g. I've also tried uninstalling the app and reinstalling it. I made sure there is no password to log into the cyberq too.

Also, for future changes could you add an exit button to the menu. There is no way to shut down the app without going to the app manager and force stopping it.

Edit: I just tried the app on my xoom and same result, app stops running when I try to connect to cyberq. I tried completely resetting the cyberq and starting over, still no go.

Last edited:
I tried this and still get the same error. I do see the cyberq flash for a second meaning the app is communicating with it but for some reason it shuts down. I've tried over wifi and 4g. I've also tried uninstalling the app and reinstalling it. I made sure there is no password to log into the cyberq too.

Also, for future changes could you add an exit button to the menu. There is no way to shut down the app without going to the app manager and force stopping it.

Edit: I just tried the app on my xoom and same result, app stops running when I try to connect to cyberq. I tried completely resetting the cyberq and starting over, still no go.

Well there is a Stop Service on the Menu, but that assumes the App is running. What did you put in for the host? Should just be the cyberq IP like 192.168.x.x Can you access the main page from a web browser? Internally it does a http://host/status.xml so make sure you can get to that via a browser w/ no username/password and over http. Other than that if you have DDMS can you send me LogCat?

ok, I just found out all the probes need to be connected. I didn't have all of them plugged in and this was causing the problem. I still can't see food 2 or food 3, when I click next or previous I still get a force close.

ok, I just found out all the probes need to be connected. I didn't have all of them plugged in and this was causing the problem. I still can't see food 2 or food 3, when I click next or previous I still get a force close.

That's odd, you shouldn't need then all plugged in, in fact I only have 1 plugged in when I'm testing. I'll push up a new version here either today or tomorrow which has a lot of fixes in and is designed to work with 1.1 firmware. Also I still need to test it on a tablet, I'm sure it looks like butt. lol

Ok here's Version 2. Pretty big update. Reworked the service thing, added timers, output % and now you can modify all Control Settings and System Settings, didn't add the ability to modify Wifi or Email, but if that's really wanted it wouldn't be that hard to do. I did a update from V1 to V2 on my main phone and it worked, but as always you may want to clear data/uninstall V1 just to be sure.

This will NOT LONGER WORK with .8 firmware, only tested on 1.1, so make sure you update, links to firmware and instructions are on BBQ Guru's site,
http://www.thebbqguru.com/products/CyberQ-Wifi.html

Updated Screen Shots here,
http://code.google.com/p/cyberq-wifi-monitor/wiki/Overview

Download links here,
http://code.google.com/p/cyberq-wifi-monitor/downloads/detail?name=BBQMonitor_V2.apk&can=2

Or scan with your phone to install,
chart

Timeout upped to 9/20/2012.

Comments/Suggestions Welcome.

Back