Non-Que Catering Dissapointments

Wesman61

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
I've been to 4 catered events of late. One was actually about 3 years ago. It was a Christmas dinner with turkey and all the trimmings. I swear it tasted just like a Swanson TV dinner. Absolutely terrible. The next was last year for My Wife's work. The prime rib was good but everything else was mediocre at best. Next was an Italian dinner at work Wed. The food was a notch or 2 below Olive Garden. Last night I went to one for my Wife's work again. It was pretty decent. The thing is that the food at all of these wasn't memorable. If I went to a nice restaurant and paid for that I probably wouldn't go back. Someone said I should have catered the one where I work. I agree!:biggrin: I can use chaffing dishes if They want fancy. But I can definitely make it better tasting. I don't think it would cost more. Just better seasonings, cooking methods etc. This continues to drive me towards starting my own business. Right now I'm working on coming up with a few menu scenarios. Mine would definitely be grilled, smoked or que'd meat based. How many menus would be good for starters?

I use a 1,2 and 3 meat option plus two sides. Seems to work for me. The client selects the listed meats they want.

I usually offer 2 meats, 2 sides and a dessert with other meat options available for an extra charge...

Agree 2+ Meats, 2+ Sides and Desert is the way to go. Go for a few smaller jobs before you tackle a 100+ job so you can work the kinks out.

Then after you are cooking fine food----you can go out and bid against the people that are using pre-made dishes from restaurant supply. That is one of the other problems.

Then after you are cooking fine food----you can go out and bid against the people that are using pre-made dishes from restaurant supply. That is one of the other problems.
Great point. When developing a dish I always think in terms of great taste as inexpensively as possible.

Back