Beatiful day for WSM hickory smoked ribs

It's always a beautiful day for WSM rib cooking--my personal lowest temp was -5, but I've seen some posts from Canada much lower.

Luckily we don't get anything that cold here.
This the year the lowest it's been is 51.
It's cloudy today here is a pic of the Temps

Attachments

• Screenshot_2017-01-14-13-12-54.jpg
    Screenshot_2017-01-14-13-12-54.jpg
    8.4 KB · Views: 131
By the way, I have been testing the new thermoworks smoke and I love it!

Good luck with those ribs. Have you noticed any thing about the smoke that you wished was different? I'm thinking about one, but would like to know more. TIA, Joe

Nice day in Fort Lauderdale as well

Seems you and I are on the same page today. just finished 2 Racks of StL's on my puny 14.5" WSM. Went with lump charcoal as opposed to regular blue. Didn't want to deal with the middle grate, so I rolled both of them and went top grate the whole way, naked. total time 4 hours @ 250-275

Attachments

• IMG_1402.jpg
    IMG_1402.jpg
    108 KB · Views: 83
  • IMG_1401.jpg
    IMG_1401.jpg
    104.9 KB · Views: 83
  • IMG_1400.jpg
    IMG_1400.jpg
    60.5 KB · Views: 83
  • IMG_1381.jpg
    IMG_1381.jpg
    10.5 KB · Views: 83
forgot to mention...ran with lump charcoal, but also added cherry chunks along the way.

never rolled my ribs before, worked like a charm. i think i may be able to squeeze 4 racks next time, using both grates of course. 4 racks on a 14.5" WSM? talk about slumming it!

not bad, kind of miss the charcoal profile/taste

Attachments

• IMG_1411.jpg
    IMG_1411.jpg
    9.6 KB · Views: 79
  • IMG_1406.jpg
    IMG_1406.jpg
    10.6 KB · Views: 79
Ok my brethren

They came out perfect!

I smoked them for 5 and a half hours between 225 and 250.
I used big poppa smokers sweet money rub and added some extra turbinado ground up to it.

I used 4 chunks of northern hickory from smokinlicious.com

The ribs never got wrapped or nothing, once I put them on I never peeked or spritzed with anything.

The WSM is a fine cooker but hopefully at the end of the year I'll be upgrading to a shirley fabrication cabinet smoker.
I will be learning the art of stick burning.

Anyone have any ? Feel free and send me a message.
Have a great weekend and let's enjoy some Football!

Attachments

• 20170114_173814.jpg
    20170114_173814.jpg
    69.2 KB · Views: 77
  • 20170114_173834.jpg
    20170114_173834.jpg
    47.1 KB · Views: 77
Paul those look like some fine ribs.
I have been looking into a pellet smoker, but have decided
to go the stick burner route. I can get 6 racks on my 18.5, so you are doing good with 4 on your 14.5.
I find that they smoke as well rolled as they do laying flat.
But I would really love to get them on laying flat so I can exexperiment with foiling them or spritz in them.
Which is why I will be upgrading to a stick burner, but by no means I'm getting rid of my WSM.

Good luck with those ribs. Have you noticed any thing about the smoke that you wished was different? I'm thinking about one, but would like to know more. TIA, Joe

Don't think no more get one, you will not regret it.
It's the best entry level smoker in my opinion and it produces excellent smoke profile.

Damn..i guess we really are on the same page. I sent Paul a deposit last week on a 24x50 patio.

Damn..i guess we really are on the same page. I sent Paul a deposit last week on a 24x50 patio.

I'm on the fence between the patio and the trailer model.
For sure I am getting the cabinet, warmer and extra damper.

i think he meant the the thermoworks Smoke...

how does it compare to maverick?

if i had space for the trailer i would've gone with that. but I'm limited, so the patio it is.
same thing here...24x50 strait back , warmer w/3rd shelf, insulated firebox, dual dampers, stainless front shelf, 2" angled grease drain, sear rack in the firebox, and elevated charcoal grate in the warmer.

Road Trip....you should place your order...we can roll out there together, rent a u haul trailer up there, load up both smokers , and pick up a few cords of white oak as well. yeah we would look like a couple of freaks rolling down 95 with twin shirley's back to florida, but then again I've seen stranger... haha

The smoke is excellent! I haven't owned a maverick so I can't compare it to anything other than the thermoworks q which is probably a better receiver but doesn't have the wireless receiver.
Although I which it had a longer coverage. It states 300 ft distance for receiver, but this is without counting doors and walls. Soni can't get too far inside my house before it goes offline.
I keep it in my kitchen with the alarm set up while I watch football in the living room son I can hear it if the alarm goes off.

if i had space for the trailer i would've gone with that. but I'm limited, so the patio it is.
same thing here...24x50 strait back , warmer w/3rd shelf, insulated firebox, dual dampers, stainless front shelf, 2" angled grease drain, sear rack in the firebox, and elevated charcoal grate in the warmer.

Paul you think we need the insulated firebox being that you are from ft Lauderdale and I'm in miami?

Road Trip....you should place your order...we can roll out there together, rent a u haul trailer up there, load up both smokers , and pick up a few cords of white oak as well. yeah we would look like a couple of freaks rolling down 95 with twin shirley's back to florida, but then again I've seen stranger... haha

Would love that but I'm sending my deposit this Monday so I reckon my cooker is going to be ready December or January next year.
Although when you get yours let me know what arrangements you make for delivery.

Back