Pulled pork yield

Tricky

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
Wife (not a pro caterer) is doing a church dinner for teenagers. Planning for 200 people.

They're having pork tacos - she's estimating the same amount of pulled pork as would be on a sandwich. Also salad.

How many lbs of uncooked pork shoulder would you think she needs?

Also how much salad dressing would you plan for (side salads)?

This is not an exact answer to your question. But I regularly cook pulled pork for 80 and I usually start with 65-70lbs or so of shoulder. That is pre trimmed and pre cooked. That is also for plates rather than sammies. Hope that might be of some help to you.

we use bone in butts and i trim the fat cap totally off them and we yield 50%. we also make big sandwiches and we use 1/3 lbs per person

When cooking for mixed crowds, I calculate 1/3 of a pound of cooked meat per person. The females will eat less, the males most times will eat more, the elderly will eat less, and the young will also eat more. This calculation has always left me with just a little left over, but I feel it is better to have a little extra than not enough.

Calculating for teens can be tricky, as sometimes they eat much much more than an adult can eat. Also couple the fact that some are picky eaters and some may not eat salads.

Smoke on Badger Mountain is right on the money.....

If you are doing a whole pork shoulder, after cooking loss, removing the skin, fat, and bone, your approximate meat yield will be about 40% meat.

To calculate for 200 people at 1/3 pound of meat simply divide the number of people being served by 3, this will give you the amount in pounds of cooked meat you will need. 200/3 = 67 pounds of cooked meat needed, multiply that by 2.5 to get the amount of raw pork shoulder needed to cook.

200/3 = 67 cooked meat 67*2.5=167.5 raw meat

To backwards check your work, take the amount of raw pork and multiply by .4 to find your cooked product weight, them multiply by three to give you your calculated servings at 1/3 pound per person.

167 pounds of raw pork times .4 (40 % yield) = 66.7 pounds cooked pork. Multiply the cooked pork by the number of servings per pound (3 * 66.7) to get the total amount of calculated servings. 167 * .4 = 66.7 cooked meat 66.7 * 3 = 200 servings.

Using bone in pork butts, we consistently get 40% yield of pulled pork without sauce.

Phil d

I would have guesstimated at about 80 kg.
Which is pretty much what IamMadMan came out as as well.

I haven't done pulled pork, but I have done pigs on the spit and in that case we work on about 500 gr per person (that's start weight, so including bones).
If all male teenagers, I go up to 750 gram per person

In this case I would have come to 100 kg, but since a whole pig has much more waste (the whole skeleton, trotters etc), so 80 kg seems a good guess.

I haven't seen this shared in a while. I am not the originator of the sheet, but it works pretty good. Just plug in the numbers and it'll do the rest.

Or, you can just listen to the great advice above. :mrgreen:

Attachments

• BBQ_Catering_Planner.xls
    88 KB · Views: 21
Back