MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 08-02-2011, 07:46 AM   #1
Pappy
is Blowin Smoke!

Default Bobby Flay Rib throw-down with pit-master Ed Michell

Did anyone watch the Bobby Flay Rib throw-down with pit-master Ed Michell? It took place in the Carolina’s. Ed Michell gets his smoker “super hot”, then he cooks his ribs 20 minutes on each side. He adds his sauce and cooks for just a few more minutes. That’s it! Ed won the throw-down.
This is crazy talk. Does anyone else do it this way?
FYI, I think Bobby cooked his for about 9 hours. I can’t remember. I’m pretty sure he was driving with the ribs cooking on the gas trailer smoker. Maybe I’m wrong but, that’s the way I thought I saw it. Then Bobby used a Weber Ranch to put the sauce on the ribs.

Old 08-02-2011, 07:52 AM   #2
El Lobo
is one Smokin' Farker

Haven't seen that show yet. Doesn't air here until August 19th from what I saw. [sucks].
El Lobo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-02-2011, 08:16 AM   #3
Bamabuzzard
is One Chatty Farker

I think that is an old show, like two years old maybe older. Ed grills his ribs rather than smoke'em.

www.doubledsbbq.com
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Double...12864168786570
Stumps Baby Gravity Feed Smoker
Backwoods Patio Unit
Char Griller Offset for grilling
Bamabuzzard is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-02-2011, 08:49 AM   #4
Pappy
is Blowin Smoke!

I think it was a repeat ..... 2009

Old 08-02-2011, 08:54 AM   #5
deepsouth
somebody shut me the fark up.

i saw it and questioned it and got called down for questioning a pitmaster like ed. if it works for him, great, but i can't afford to even try to cook ribs that way as i'm sure i'd ruin them.

Old 08-02-2011, 09:07 AM   #6
smokeyw
is One Chatty Farker

I live about 30 miles from where they held the contest and have actually eaten at that restaurant and the one in Wilson where Ed got his start years ago. That show was made over a year ago. I remember they said on the show that Ed cooked his ribs hot and fast. I don't remember the details. I do know that Ed can cook. I don't remember all about how Bobby cooked his ribs but I do know that he did not cook while pulling the grill. In fact, that gas grill that was in the scene where Bobby was driving in was not used at all. It was a brand new grill loaned by a local grill company for the show and was returned unused.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pappy View Post
FYI, I think Bobby cooked his for about 9 hours. I can’t remember. I’m pretty sure he was driving with the ribs cooking on the gas trailer smoker. Maybe I’m wrong but, that’s the way I thought I saw it. Then Bobby used a Weber Ranch to put the sauce on the ribs.

Old 08-02-2011, 09:10 AM   #7
deguerre

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepsouth View Post
i saw it and questioned it and got called down for questioning a pitmaster like ed. if it works for him, great, but i can't afford to even try to cook ribs that way as i'm sure i'd ruin them.
No you wouldn't. You'd be just fine. Ashmont and I took turns on these on one of those giant "park" grills alternating between direct and indirect. They were pretty darn good...

[/B][/FONT]"...In nature, there are predators. I believe the common denominator of the universe is not harmony, but chaos, hostility and murder..." Werner Herzog
deguerre is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 08-02-2011, 10:05 AM   #8
Boshizzle

I have seen him in the BF throwdown, a Martha Stewart show, and on Man V. Food. In his restaurant, he foils the ribs to speed up the cook time after a short time over charcoal unwrapped. On the MS show, he was basically cooking them hot and fast over charcoal similar to what he did on the BF Throwdown show. It is very similar to the way the Rendezvous in Memphis cooks them.

Old 08-02-2011, 10:18 AM   #9
Bamabuzzard
is One Chatty Farker

Either way I'm sure his ribs are very good.

www.doubledsbbq.com
Backwoods Patio Unit

Old 08-02-2011, 10:37 AM   #10
thoraudio
On the road to being a farker

apropos of nothing, once I was driving down the road and pulled up behind a pickup truck with what looked to be a commercial smoker bungied in the back, smoking.

Old 08-02-2011, 10:44 AM   #11
Warthog
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : Ed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boshizzle View Post
It is very similar to the way the Rendezvous in Memphis cooks them.
I found their ribs not so good. Kind of dry. The BBQ Shop blows them away.
So if that is the result of fast and hot I will stay with low and slow.

Old 08-02-2011, 10:50 AM   #12
Big Ace
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pappy View Post
Did anyone watch the Bobby Flay Rib throw-down with pit-master Ed Michell? It took place in the Carolina’s. Ed Michell gets his smoker “super hot”, then he cooks his ribs 20 minutes on each side. He adds his sauce and cooks for just a few more minutes. That’s it! Ed won the throw-down.
This is crazy talk. Does anyone else do it this way?
Here are the instructions on how to cook Ed hot and fast, http://today.msnbc.msn.com/id/322068...bbq-spareribs/

Quote:
Cooking, holding and serving instructions: Once the Pitmaster has his grill pit hot with charcoal and is ready to grill, seasoned spareribs are neatly arranged, meat side down, on grill. Allow this side to cook uninterrupted for approximately 15 minutes. Using tongs, carefully, quickly turn ribs over (bone side down). Allow to cook for another 15 minutes or so. With a clean kitchen towel blot any blood off the meat side of the rib. Repeat turning over ribs at 10 to 15 minute intervals for approximately 45 minutes to 1 hour or until just fully cooked. (A properly cooked sparerib will have a nice seasoned browned color.)
Also looks like Ed is leaving The Pit and starting his own restaurant.
Big Ace is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-02-2011, 10:50 AM   #13
jasonjax
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Jason

Seems like some very successful rib crafters "finish" their ribs over direct high heat to caramelize some of the sugars from the rubs and sauces.

Using a bit of deductive reasoning, it would seem if this adds to the flavor profile that maybe high heat from the get-go to do the actual cooking might also work.

My concern for this method would be walking that fine line of tasty caramelizing versus nasty charring and burning, and losing that beautiful smoke ring.
jasonjax is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-02-2011, 10:51 AM   #14
Cook
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Jay

You'll notice Ed never calls his ribs "bbq"...so it really shouldn't matter how he cooks them to you guys. In Eastern North Carolina where Ed Mitchell is there is only one form of barbecue...ribs, chicken, any type of beef...well they do not fall into that singular category.
Cook is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-02-2011, 10:59 AM   #15
Bamabuzzard
is One Chatty Farker

I recently had ribs cooked hot n fast the right way and they are very good. One thing I did notice though is there was not much smoke flavor (if any) in the flavor profile. I guess this had to do with the ribs not being cooked very long.

www.doubledsbbq.com
Backwoods Patio Unit

Tags
bobby flay, ed michell, ribs