Amazing Brisket Today

thunter

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
We had a family back to school picnic today, and I supplied the beef brisket. I had a 15 lb. choice in the freezer, so I took it out, so I could trim it, and baptize it in a salt and pepper rub...

I got my CG Outlaw (Boss Hog), ready with a hot bed of Kingsford, and a couple of logs of oak...

I wanted to cook this big boy at 250* and using the Aron Franklin method...

After 6 hours in the smoke, he looked like he wanted to be wrapped. The color was beautiful, and the texture was right. Just by feeling it, I could tell it was at about 165, so I probed it to see how close I was... 163. Anyway, close enough to wrap it in butcher paper and return it to the heat...

After another 6 hours, I have it jiggle, and it was just about where I wanted it, but I still wanted a looser "jiggle". So, I put it back for another 2 hours. I didn't probe it again, I just went by feel. After the additional 2 hours, he was begging to pardon from heat, and after a satisfactory jiggle, I took him off and rested him for 2 hours in my warmer. Then it was time to slice!

Here is the flat with a beautiful bark...

Here is the point, which also had nice bark...

Sliced the brisket in half, separating the the point from the flat, and it looked absolutely wonderful...

The flat sliced very nicely, and it had a nice smoke ring too...

The point also produced some beautiful slices and some delicious chopped meat. It was a bit overdone for competition quality, but I was cooking for the family, and melt-in-your-mouth brisket is a winner with them!

It was a great cook, and the meat was fantastic! There won't be any leftovers for lunch this week, because there was nothing left of it after the party... Just the way I like it really! :-D

Thanks for posting! Looks incredible. And I agree the photos are great and it looks juicy as hell!

The bark on that brisket is awesome! Those pictures were amazing...I drooled on myself...

Back