MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 07-03-2013, 11:11 AM   #1
grantw
is One Chatty Farker

Default Is a mixer worth the money for doughs?

Does dough turn out better with a mixer? Pizza dough mainly and mixing up rubs with the wisk.
grantw is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-03-2013, 11:19 AM   #2
Wampus
somebody shut me the fark up.

I guess it probably depends on how often and how much you're going to do.

I don't own a stand mixer and have been making bread and pizza dough and other pastry doughs by hand. We usually have pizza weekly and I'm feeding at least 6 each time, so I make a lot of it. It turns out pretty good.

Although, I've asked myself the same question since I got started too....

Old 07-03-2013, 11:23 AM   #3
cholloway
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Colin

I don't have a stand mixer either but, I have used the bread maker to mix up and proof pizza doughs.
Char-Broil 450 (Purchased new in 1981)
1996 Blue Weber SS Performer
Weber charcoal Go-Anywhere
2 Weber SJSs & modified stock pot Mini-WSM
Weber rotisserie, Rib-O-Lator & Smokenator system
Blackstone Tailgater Combo & STOK Island gasser
cholloway is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-03-2013, 11:46 AM   #4
Stingerhook

Name/Nickname : Marty

My mixer stands about 5' 5" and does a great job. If only she would stop complaining.

UDS now gone, WSM 18", WSM 22" and pellet pooper in the garage for 18 months now.
Stingerhook is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 07-03-2013, 11:54 AM   #5
pahutchens
is one Smokin' Farker

How often and how much do you do would be factors.
Also any carpel tunnel issues or if counter is wrong height how's your back?
#5 Kamado refurbished 'the Copper top'
[COLOR="navy"]Blue 'like my Smoke' Thermapen[/COLOR]
IMBAS certified MOINK! baller, KCBS MCBJ & CTC
pahutchens is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-03-2013, 11:59 AM   #6
boogiesnap
Babbling Farker

my kitchenaid is one of those loved luxuries. i don't know that it makes it any better, but walking away for twenty minutes to make the sauce or drink some coffee is nice.

avatar by grillman. patent pending. :mad2::becky:
boogiesnap is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 07-03-2013, 12:04 PM   #7
Jason TQ

It does for me because i'm not great a kneading it by hand . But similar to boogiesnap it is a very "nice to have" and not really a necessity as I don't make dough all the time. I use it also to mix rubs.

Old 07-03-2013, 12:06 PM   #8
Callahan-que
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Rick

I just see myself using a mixer for rubs.

Old 07-03-2013, 12:29 PM   #9
landarc

I have a KitchenAid, and I have tried all sorts of techniques. For pizza dough, in my experience, it make a decent dough. I much prefer hand made dough. For many breads, it is fine, but, I find that unless I work the dough by hand, I get variable results. I think that there is a flaw in how mixers knead bread doughs. None of the real top notch bakers I know use a machine exclusively.

Since going to an indirect, low temperature rise and higher hydration levels, my doughs have improved in texture and flavor quite a bit, and actual kneading has gone down.

Yelonutz: me either, but, then again, I don't drink any less
[/SIZE][/COLOR][/COLOR][SIZE=1][COLOR=DarkRed]
[COLOR=Pink]SSS[/COLOR]
[/COLOR][/SIZE]
landarc is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 07-03-2013, 12:44 PM   #10
Bludawg

I have a KA Pro 500 I got it 4 yrs ago it was a luxury purchase that has Spoiled me to the point I wont be with out one ever again. I bake all my breads and do Sour Dough pizza weekly. It is worth the expense IMO.

Old 07-03-2013, 12:49 PM   #11
cayenne
is one Smokin' Farker

Thumbs up Get one...

I'd heartily recommend a good stand up mixer.

It is GREAT for kneading large bits of dough, just be careful not to over mix for certains types of breads.

If you want to do light sausage making, the attachments are good for that (assuming a kitchen aid). They make their attachments out of plastic, so, if you're doing heavy duty meats that are very tough, etc..you can overdo it..and if on a smaller unit, you can strip the gears out on it.

I bought a 3/4 LEM meat grinder for doing sausages...and retired the component of the Kitchen Aid mixer. The grater is fantastic...I use that for making lots of cole slaw quickly...the grinder attachment is also good for making raw cranberry relishes, etc.

If you can, get the highest level with the strongest motor and capacity you can afford.

I have an older smaller one...and it is going strong still after about 30+ years use...only fixed once when I stripped the gears as mentioned earlier.

It is a kitchen tool I get a lot of use out of...highly recommended.
cayenne is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-03-2013, 01:05 PM   #12
landarc

I guess I should clarify, I would never give up my KitchenAid Professional, it serves well for cookies, cakes, various other uses, just, for me, not bread dough.

Yelonutz: me either, but, then again, I don't drink any less
[/SIZE][/COLOR][/COLOR][SIZE=1][COLOR=DarkRed]
[COLOR=Pink]SSS[/COLOR]
[/COLOR][/SIZE]
landarc is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-03-2013, 03:38 PM   #13
markdtn
is one Smokin' Farker

We don't make pizza dough, but a KitchenAid standup is a great addition to any kitchen. My wife bakes a lot and we have been married 22 years soon. Went through 3 cheap mixers the first 5-6 years. Bought the KitchenAid about 16 years ago and it is still going strong. I highly recommend one. It is worth the money.
markdtn is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-03-2013, 04:06 PM   #14
dgebhardt
Found some matches.

I do most of the cooking for my family of 7, both indoors and outside. I love my KA mixer. It would be on my short list of must-have kitchen appliances. I probably use it at least 3-4 times per week. Uses include:
  1. The family usually makes pancakes or waffles on the weekend. The KA mixes the batter.
  2. My wife likes to make quiche, so the KA beats the eggs.
  3. Before we went gluten-free, we used the dough hook to make pizza dough at least every other week. (We have a breadmaker that we use for bread doughs). We haven't used it yet for gluten-free pizza dough. :-(
  4. We use the shredder attachment for cheese and some veges. Not having to shredd cheese by hand is a HUGE benefit for this cheese-loving family.
It is a rare day when the dishwasher doesn't see the mixing bowl included in a load of dirty dishes.

Old 07-03-2013, 05:33 PM   #15
superlazy
is One Chatty Farker

My folks gave us a KA k5ss as a wedding gift nearly 20yrs ago and I can't imagine being with out it. My shredder broke after 13 or so hard used yrs now I just use the food processor for cheese. The grinder works great for small batches.
So Yes buy one!!!