Should I sell it or keep it ?

fedex

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
Need your opinions guys. I bought a once used 18" WSM a couple years ago off CL for almost nothing. I also have a 22" Platinum, 26" Kettle, UDS, WGA Charcoal (use this allot), A new Jumbo Joe (xmas gift) and a Weber Q120. I've only used the WSM 3x because I really like using the Kettles for smaller smokes. What do you guys think? I really hate the thought of selling off one of the kids.

If you have the room keep it. If not, pass it on to somone else and get them hooked...

Keep em all, they're not costing you anything. The fact that you're questioning selling is your answer.

Of all the things you listed, the wsm would be the last thing I'd sell, unless you can get a lot of money for it. I don't know why you don't use it for smokes.

If you don't use it and also need the cash to buy another cooker then sell it. But if you don't need the $ hang on to it.

You should give it to me where it will find a good home and be appreciated and used a great deal.

If you sell it you will spend the money.Then you will not have the smoker or the money.If the need ever arises that you need one(wsm) it will probably cost you more to replace it than you would sell it for.I vote keep it.:wink:

If you're happy with smoking on a kettle vs. the WSM I'm thinking that you're not really taking advantage of the WSM. The WSM is designed from the ground up for long slow cooks and does that with aplomb. I won't argue that you cannot smoke on a kettle, but it will be more work and results are not likely to be as good. The WSM has the space for a water pan that - even if empty - prevents direct heating of the meat form hot coals. Maybe some of the inserts can do that. Also the WSM can hold a couple decent size butts on each grate. There is not space to do the same in a kettle.

I suggest picking up a couple pork butts (or even 4) and smoking them low and slow on the WSM with a decent rub and some hickory, maple and apple and then decide if you don't really need the WSM.

Edit: I just noticed that you have a UDS. There is probably some overlap between the UDS and the WSM. I suppose for the kind of smokes where the WSM really shines, the UDS is your choice. I have no direct experience with a UDS but suppose it can be configured to perform as well as the WSM.

If you have the room for it I would keep it. Regret getting rid of my 22.

You have the different size kettles and a UDS. Sell the WSM and pass the hobby on to someone else, because you are definitely well on your way!

fedex,

You are acting like you have too many cookers or something crazy like that. You don't. Keep it. The WSM 18 is just about the epitome of elegant, affordable, and functional slow cooking.

Keep it.

Keep it. The second you sell it, you'll miss it. I sold my COS a while back and wish I hadn't. I may prefer my UDS and OTS, but, there are still many uses for the COS.

Back