Southern Hospitality - NYC

MilitantSquatter

Reaction score
Was in the city today with two friends... one of whom is getting married in a few weeks and lives in the city. The original plan was to take him to a good steakhouse.. We did not plan well as they all opened at 5PM (Sunday hours) and it was lunchtime... We changed courses and I suggested Southern Hospitality. I had been there once before at the brethren outing we had last year and wanted to get back there. We arrived around 2PM. Weather was lousy and the place was about half full probably at it was the slow time between lunch and dinner hours.

The bad part that I didn't realize/forgot about was the full menu not being available at that time. In place of the full menu was the brunch menu in addition to a scaled down full menu (Chix & Waffles, Chix Fried Steak & Eggs, Biscuits & Gravy, Texas Breakfast Platter, Smoked Brisket Hash w/ fried eggs etc).

I started off with the Dr. BBQ Championship Chili as an appetizer... Overall it was very good. Lots of smoked brisket and ground beef. A small amount of beans and a nice loose consistency (I don't like chili that is too thick). Good overall flavor and a little kick of heat but not too noticeable. I enjoyed this a lot.

One friend went with the Smoked Brisket Hash with fried eggs and biscuits. Nice big platter, lots of chopped brisket and eggs. He enjoyed it but I did not try.

My other friend had the pulled pork sandwich with fries and mac & cheese. I had a small piece of the pork and it was pretty moist and flavorful. He thought it was good.

After my chili appetizer, I had the Memphis Style Dry Rubbed Spareribs with baked beans and Mac & Cheese.

The postives - Rib flavoring was very good. I think what really helps is the nice dusting of the special dry rub on the bark. I think Dr. BBQ developed this rub and brought this on board and it's a very good rub. That's what hits your tongue and it's works well. The meat had a nice mild smoke flavor but lacked a bit in color you'd expect/want to see. I think that is a result of the type of smoker, not the process.. The Mac & Cheese was outstanding.. Beans were very good too. What I did like was that it was not the basic beans with heavy sauce.. but rather more mild and let the beans standout for themselves. I sampled the BBQ sauce on the side and it's a basic sweet sauce with a consistency that it not too thick which is nice.

The downside - The ribs (served dry as requested) were way overcooked and the smaller end of the slab was very dry. Every bone popped out as I tried as gently as possible to slice them into individual ribs.. The two biggest ribs were the best cooked but still the bones popped out. The meat on these two pieces were a bit more moist and flavorful which made them more enjoyable but I had to eat them in chunks since they were off the bone.

The one thing we all agreed on was that the biscuits need work. They had a nice golden brown exterior but they lacked flavor and texture and the taste reminded me more of white bread than a true southern style biscuit.

Service was excellent, lots of cute girls around.. I also got a good laugh that the two girls at the table next to us only ate grilled chicken caeasar salads with water (but that's expected with the residents of the upper east side of Manhattan)...

I would certainly recommend to any Brethren in the city to include on a visit to other BBQ joints in NYC or as a stand alone visit (but during hours when full menu is available)

Last edited:
Also strangely enough on the way home....

My friend who was driving made a wrong turn after crossing the Manhattan Bridge and ended up on a side street in the Williamsburg section of Brooklyn.. He made a few turns to get back onto the BQE and we ended up passing that BBQ joint in Brooklyn called Fette Sau... very weird location... not even sure how I noticed it except for the neon sign of the restaurant name with a pig outline around it.

Also strangely enough on the way home....

My friend who was driving made a wrong turn after crossing the Manhattan Bridge and ended up on a side street in the Williamsburg section of Brooklyn.. He made a few turns to get back onto the BQE and we ended up passing that BBQ joint in Brooklyn called Fette Sau... very weird location... not even sure how I noticed it except for the neon sign of the restaurant name with a pig outline around it.

Here's what I found:biggrin:
Not since the original Long Island City Pearson’s, perhaps, has a location been as ideally suited for barbecue as Williamsburg’s Fette Sau (“fat pig” in German). Kim and Joe Carroll, owners of the inimitable beer bar Spuyten Duyvil, had been scouting locations for their second venture when they learned that Tony & Sons, the auto-body repair shop across the street, was renting out part of its fenced-in lot and cinderblock building. The couple preserved the shop’s industrial vibe, outfitting the driveway with picnic tables and the wood-beamed, cement-floored interior with phonograph-horn light fixtures and stools fashioned from John Deere tractor seats. The centerpiece, though, is the Southern Pride gas-and-wood-fired smoker capable of slow-cooking 700 pounds of meat at a time. An avid backyard barbecuer, Joe eschews regional styles, finding inspiration in local ingredients like Italian fennel sausage from a nearby butcher, and his own proprietary panela-and-espresso-based spice rub. Head chef Matt Lang, late of Pearl Oyster Bar, swaps surf for turf with a rotating menu of pork and beef ribs and shoulders, pigs’ tails, flank steak, leg of lamb, pork belly, and pastrami, all sold by weight and served on butcher paper, sauce on the side. The drink list is appropriately heavy on North American bourbon and whiskey, with a smattering of tequilas, mescals, rums, and vodkas, and of the ten tap beers, four are custom-brewed by New Jersey’s Heavyweight and Brooklyn’s own Greenpoint. — Robin Raisfeld and Rob Patronite

Back