MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Catering, Food Handling and Awareness > Catering, Vending and Cooking For The Masses.

Notices

Catering, Vending and Cooking For The Masses. this forum is OnTopic. A resource to help with catering, vending and just cooking for large parties. Topics to include Getting Started, Ethics, Marketing, Catering resources, Formulas and recipes for cooking for large groups.

Old 02-18-2009, 12:51 PM   #1
Smoke & Beers
is One Chatty Farker

Default Got my first real gig (Charity)...

I found out about a month ago that a college friend and roomie from 20 years ago has some real serious cancer and has been going through hell trying some experimental chemo. I also found out that his family and friends were organizing an auction to raise money for his medical bills. I haven't seen him for about 15 years, as we lost touch, but with this news, found he is only about an hour away. I got in touch with him and then the gal putting this together and volunteered to provide and smoke some butts and briskets to serve at the auction and then to do an extra butt and brisket to be auctioned off. She said they would love for me to do that...

The problem is they don't have any idea how many will show up and she would get back with me later...the auction is on March 14th, so I have some time, but I'm getting a little nervous. I'm thinking between 50 & 100. I will probably plan for 100 plus the extra an extra brisket and butt for the auction.

If anyone has any suggestions in regards to preparing for the unexpected for your first catering gig...please share them with me...I don't want this to be a disaster....

I plan on smoking everything at my house, then wrapping and coolering the butts and briskets to be pulled and sliced at the auction. I will also throw together some fatties and moink balls for appetizers to be smoked at the site. I'm figuring 4-6 ozs of meat (butt or brisket) per person.

Again, any suggestions or warnings about pitfalls would be greatly appreciated.

And THANKS in advance for your suggestions!

Mods, if this is on the wrong board, please move it to the correct one.

Thanks,

Shawn
Weber One Touch Gold & a Weber 22 1/2" Silver
Traeger Jr
2 UDS's Born 9-19-08 & 3-6-09
Weber Smokey Joe Platinum
[COLOR=red][COLOR=black]Super Fast[/COLOR][B] RED THERMAPEN[/B][/COLOR]

"If you got them by the MOINK balls, their hearts and minds will follow" -John Wayne
Smoke & Beers is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-18-2009, 01:18 PM   #2
Divemaster
somebody shut me the fark up.

I'm sure that Bubba's going to sound off soon, but I have a couple of questions...

Are you serving or is it a serve your self? If your serving, you can control the portions and keep it toward the Oz area... if you're not serving I think I would plan on 6oz...

Are you looking at a 50%/50% mix between brisket & Pork?

Is there going to be any other foods there that would compete with your food?

Are you serving sandwiches or just on a plate?

They should be able to give you a half way decent number a week before... I would then add an additional 10% for extras. I would always rather have extra than not enough...

I would also plan on just making an extra butt and extra brisket for the auction... This meat I would have already pulled and sliced, cryo-sucked, and frozen so they don't have to worry about it when the winning bidder gets home. They can just put it in the freezer.

Hope this helps...
Race Fast, Cook Slow, and Enjoy Life!
If it don't come off a smoker, it's just a side dish!

Lang 60 Patio (The Mistress), Black Stainless Lang 36 (Little Princess), Large BGE (Ramona), Big Green UDS (Cottage Cooker), Brinkman SnP Pro (Little Bubba-Retired), 8 Burner Gasser, 3 - 22.5" & 1 - 18" (circa 1975) Weber Grills, & a Weber Smoky Joe.
Divemaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 01:55 PM   #3
Smoke & Beers
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Divemaster View Post
I'm sure that Bubba's going to sound off soon, but I have a couple of questions...

Are you serving or is it a serve your self? If your serving, you can control the portions and keep it toward the Oz area... if you're not serving I think I would plan on 6oz... I did not think of that...probably serve yourself

Are you looking at a 50%/50% mix between brisket & Pork? Yes

Is there going to be any other foods there that would compete with your food? I do not know yet...I don't think so...was thinking about making up a pot of beans and some coleslaw for sides...unless there will be food brought in by others.

Are you serving sandwiches or just on a plate? I will provide buns so if they want sammies, they can have them

They should be able to give you a half way decent number a week before... I would then add an additional 10% for extras. I would always rather have extra than not enough...

I would also plan on just making an extra butt and extra brisket for the auction... This meat I would have already pulled and sliced, cryo-sucked, and frozen so they don't have to worry about it when the winning bidder gets home. They can just put it in the freezer. That's what I was planning on doing. I've got a great source for the heavy-duty shipping styro-coolers so that is covered.
Hope this helps...
Thanks for the insight...any and all is appreciated!
Traeger Jr

"If you got them by the MOINK balls, their hearts and minds will follow" -John Wayne
Old 02-18-2009, 09:10 PM   #4
Just Smokin' Around
Full Fledged Farker

Since it may be self serve, it sounds like you are donating the food to attract people to the auction. ? Will people need to pay to serve themself? You may want to consider selling a sandwich platter with beans and slaw, maybe some chips and donate the money to the fundraiser. Folks will galdly pay if they know the money is going to the cause. Then 4oz per sammie will be plenty. Keep the price reasonable even though it is a fundraiser for their friend. Also, maybe package some 1 and 2 pound bags and sell/auction those to help raise more money. If you auction 1 butt, only one person walks away with good BBQ. With 50+ folks, you can sell more than that (not everyone will wants 5+ pound, but want some to take home). Just a thought.
Medium BGE, Weber Kettle and gasser, other toys
Just Smokin' Around is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 11:20 PM   #5
Chuckwagonbbqco
is one Smokin' Farker

The idea of a fund raiser is to raise funds. If you are just cooking meat it is hard to raise funds. I would suggest cooking beans, making a salad and some sort of bread also. Set up a buffet table with plates and silverware on one side and then line up your dishes by lowest cost first----usually it is salad then bread, then beans and lastly meat. Make plenty of salad and beans and bread---the goal is to have a full plate before they get to the meat.

Let the people dish up their own side dishes, make sure there is plenty of the inexpensive dishes. Then last on the table are chafing trays of pork and beef---which you serve. Sauces spices, condiments etc are the last thing on the table.

Many times at fund raisers---the people organizing it want you to just cook meat.
THIS IS A BIG MISTAKE! I have learned the hard way----people organizing fund raisers often do not know the details of serving many people---so things go wrong. I cooked meat only at a function like this---cooking proudly with my name proudly displayed on my BBQ pit. They ran out of salad --they ran out of bread, and they ran out of plates. All of the people in line for food were looking at me and my name----and very unhappy.

From now on when I cook-----I cook everything or I cook nothing---I do not want a bad side dish or not enough food to ruin my reputation---when all I volunteered to do was cook the meat.

Leftover meat at fund raisers is always auctioned off. I always take lots of foil and zip lock bags.
Chuckwagonbbqco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 05:13 PM   #6
Smoke & Beers
is One Chatty Farker

Again, thanks for all of the input.
I'm rethinking how this is going to work now. I do need to get some info from the organizer to see what they can provide. I was initially thinking I would provide the meat, sauce's, and appetizers...but now I'm starting to think about all the other stuff...which is quickly burning holes in my pocket...
I definately don't want this to be a disaster...which I don't think it will, I just need to make sure all the bases are covered.

Again, if you have any other suggestions, please throw them out...I'm now thinking 2lb frozen & cryo-bagged of brisky and pulled pork to be auctioned off...what...5 of each? Like I said, I have no idea how many will be here, could be 50, could be 200...and this is by invite only, so I should have an idea before too long.

Thanks again,
Shawn
Traeger Jr