The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 11-12-2017, 01:34 PM   #16
mtime7
Full Fledged Farker

one other thing, I know here in Texas some prefer a tangy, peppery sauce, (like me) and then you you have the other side that wants either no sauce or au jus style. In your case where they are asking for sauce, I would go with bold and peppery
mtime7 is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->

Old 11-12-2017, 01:37 PM   #17
Stlsportster
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Joel

Our local smoke house Sugarfire, makes a coffee BBQ sauce. It's still sweet, but not sugary molasses sweet. And the coffee pairs well with brisket.

Please consider a subscription!

Brisket is sacred, don't **** with brisket!

On a foggy day with stick burners in front of businesses and at houses burping Mesquite, Pecan, and Oak- the thin blue laying hazily near the ground- outstanding. - 16Adams
Stlsportster is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-12-2017, 01:39 PM   #18
IXL
is one Smokin' Farker

John Henry's Slippery Hill sauce goes well with brisket. It is not in the least bit sweet.
IXL is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-12-2017, 02:07 PM   #19
chingador
is one Smokin' Farker

Google Walter Jetton's sauce. He was LBJ's pit master back in the day. It is a good basic Texas sauce and is probably perfectly along the lines of what you are looking for. I like to thin it with beef broth and add black pepper. Lots of it. Add sugar or honey as needed if you like

Primo Oval XL, BPS drum, Weber gasser
chingador is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 11-12-2017, 04:20 PM   #20
Okie Sawbones
Babbling Farker

Franklin's BBQ sauce is good with brisket, if you are a sauce person with beef.

Espresso BBQ Sauce
16 servings; makes a generous 2 cups

Ingredients
  • 1 1/2 cups ketchup
  • 1/2 cup distilled white vinegar
  • 1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
  • 1/4 cup dark soy sauce
  • 1 tablespoon garlic powder
  • 1 tablespoon onion powder
  • 1/4 cup packed dark brown sugar
  • 3 tablespoons freshly brewed espresso
  • 1-2 Tbs. brisket drippings, for flavoring, or Au Jus
Directions
Combine the ketchup, both vinegars, the dark soy sauce, garlic and onion powders and brown sugar in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Cook, stirring occasionally, for 20 minutes, to form a sauce that's relatively thick and almost plum-colored. Remove the sauce from the heat and stir in the espresso. If using, add the brisket drippings (about a tablespoon, or to taste). Let cool before serving or storing.
Cooking BBQ since 1971, seriously cooking BBQ since 1996, when I read Smoke and Spice.
Okie Sawbones is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 11-12-2017, 05:44 PM   #21
effinUker
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : Tim, Moon

Quote:
Originally Posted by chingador View Post
Google Walter Jetton's sauce. He was LBJ's pit master back in the day. It is a good basic Texas sauce and is probably perfectly along the lines of what you are looking for. I like to thin it with beef broth and add black pepper. Lots of it. Add sugar or honey as needed if you like
I did it for ya!

http://www.cookingindex.com/recipes/...ecue-sauce.htm

Walter Jetton's Barbecue Sauce

Serves: 1 people

Recipe Ingredients
1 cup 237ml Tomato ketchup
1/2 cup 118ml Cider vinegar
1 teaspoon 5ml Sugar
1 teaspoon 5ml Chili powder
1/8 teaspoon 0.6ml Salt
1 1/2 cups 355ml Water
3 Celery - chopped
3 Bay leaves
1 Garlic
2 tablespoons 30ml Chopped onion
4 tablespoons 60ml Butter
4 tablespoons 60ml Worcestershire sauce
1 teaspoon 5ml Paprika
1 Black pepper
Recipe Instructions
Combine all the ingredients and bring to a boil. Simmer about 15 minutes. Remove from the heat and strain.

(note - the celery pieces that you strain out from the sauce are among the most delicious things I have ever tasted - really wonderful. In fact, I sometimes made the sauce just to have some of the yummy celery. - Bruce)

NOTES : This is the secret of the ages I am giving you here, and I would not be surprised if wars have been fought over less. Use this as a plate or table sauce with beef, chicken, pork or almost anything else. Don't cook things in it.
effinUker is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-12-2017, 05:57 PM   #22
Rockinar
is One Chatty Farker

Just buy some junk from the store. I would not go out of my way to please people who are worrying about the BBQ sauce. Stay away from sweet. I don't think it goes well.

I like that new Heinze Pitmaster Texas sauce. It's basic and sightly peppery. Never tried the others.
Rockinar is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 11-12-2017, 11:49 PM   #23
Burnbern
Knows what a fatty is.

Wow awesome and I’m bookmarking this. Thanks to all

Old 11-13-2017, 12:32 AM   #24
bonz50
Full Fledged Farker

I'm likely gonna get flamed for this, but...... Alabama White sauce with a slight kick of horseradish is friggin great on good brisket

WSM 18.5", Weber Genesis Gold B, Blackstone 36" griddle, OK Joe Longhorn
bonz50 is offline   Reply With Quote