MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 11-09-2017, 06:42 PM   #31
FlightRN
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Made some progress today. Fire box to cook chamber cut out is done.

Picked up a new trailer that I think will work so much better than the free one from my dad.

Now I am just waiting on some bids for the plate steel. I plan to mount the tank to the trailer this weekend.
FlightRN is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->

Old 11-10-2017, 03:14 PM   #32
FlightRN

Took a break from the smoker to brew beer......the fuel that is powering all of my minions...I mean helpers......

Old 11-11-2017, 06:44 PM   #33
FlightRN

Need advice....We got the tank up on the trailer and it looks great and fits perfect. Doors seem right height....but tongue weight is only 85lbs and FB (going to weigh 350lbs) is not mounted. We have discussed two options, looking for advice on what is best.

1. We cut back of trailer out and slide tank forward We would weld another frame support behind the FB and weld supports onto sides of FB itself into frame

2. Go with what we have and add counter weight into 4x4 tube and cap it off. (this begs question of how much weight?)

Thanks from:--->
Old 11-11-2017, 09:22 PM   #34
mikemci
Babbling Farker

Option #1.
red Thermapen

There are two kinds of countries in the world, those that use the metric system and the one that sent men to the moon and back.
mikemci is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 11-12-2017, 03:08 AM   #35
mowin
Full Fledged Farker

Brace the front and add a wood storage bin. Maybe a two burner propane stove. Pipe that to a fire starter in the FB.
"Elizabeth Ann" bubba grills 250 ribbox RF offset.
mowin is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-12-2017, 01:29 PM   #36
homesmoke
On the road to being a farker

My advice would be to get the smoker finished. Until final weight is established, trying to determine the mounting position is a guessing game. You need the completed weight to get the tongue weight into a safe range.

Adding counterbalance weight just adds to the sprung weight. Really easy to possibly overload the safe working load range of a used (wrecked?) Tacoma frame, cut and welded contrary to its engineered original design.

You mentioned possibly renting this rig out, and you really don't want to have the liability of the tail wagging the dog. Glad to see your attention to tongue weight, but adding unnecessary counterbalance weight also compromises every weld, spring, shackle, bushing, bearing, tires, etc.

Not trying to pee in your fire on this build, but weight adds up quick.
homesmoke is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 11-25-2017, 12:03 PM   #37
FlightRN

So after holidays and back to back shifts on the helicopter I am back to thinking about the smoker build. I am wondering if doing something like pictured above is a good thought? I would build a support brace up and over the fire box out of 3/16 3in or 4in tube. It would be 12in high giving it clearance of about an inch from the firebox and then cutting the lower crossmember out as shown by the x. This would allow for support at the springs and eliminated the FB being welded into the frame. Thoughts/advice? I am actually having alot of fun planning this through and taking my time. I appreciate all the help!

Old 11-26-2017, 08:06 PM   #38
FlightRN

First door completely cut out an hinges welded on! Feels like a big first step. Plan on burning out inside with fall tree scraps tomorrow.

Old 11-27-2017, 10:25 AM   #39
Clasko2
On the road to being a farker

This is pretty much what I’m looking to build with help of FIL and BIL. Watching this one closely. Looks great so far!!!!
Clasko2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-03-2017, 11:35 AM   #40
FlightRN

Help!!! We welded the 1 1/2 in flat bar to finish the door and this happened. Is there a way to bend the door or do I need to grind bar off and start over?