MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 09-14-2017, 06:55 PM   #31
Toast
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : Mike

I have had the Honor of tasting Smitty's Brisket. He could take shoe leather and make it taste good.

Great looking cook!
Wife LuzziAnn 1956 model.
GrillEye Bluetooth Temp Monitor, Superfast LSU Purple Thermapen & ThermaPop, Party Q

Toast is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-28-2017, 12:47 PM   #32
SmittyJonz

GetchaSome.....

Old 11-01-2017, 02:57 PM   #33
SmittyJonz

Old 11-01-2017, 07:01 PM   #34
Macky
Take a breath!

Smitty - your my hero! Unbelievable pricing! Mac
Macky is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 11-01-2017, 07:42 PM   #35
vw1914
Got Wood.

Damm fine lookin briskets

Old 11-01-2017, 11:47 PM   #36
RemoGaggi
Full Fledged Farker

Costco sells prime briskets here in Sacramento usually between $2.89-$3.29/lb. I've never any brisket at Walmart around here for less than that, and they don't have prime at Walmart. Just wondering what Costco brisket prices are in other areas.

Old 11-02-2017, 01:02 AM   #37
PotBelly
Got Wood.

Nice smoker!
PotBelly is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-02-2017, 05:45 AM   #38
Monkey Uncle
Full Fledged Farker

I've tried Wal Mart's select briskets a few times, but they never turn out quite right. The flat always ends up dry and chewy. I've tried internal temps from 185 to 203 and everything in between, but the result was the same. The last one I did still wasn't probe tender at 203 after 14+ hours at around 230 - 250. I thought about leaving it on, but went ahead and pulled it. I'm glad I did, as it was quite dry. If I had left in on longer it probably wouldn't have been fit to eat.

I'm using a COS with a water pan, starting the fire with charcoal and then mainly using sticks once the fire gets going. It's a pain to keep temps steady, but I usually manage to keep it mostly between 225 and 260. I've used it to cook choice briskets from other vendors, and they turned out fantastic. So I'm blaming the cheap selects instead of the cook. ;)
Monkey Uncle is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-02-2017, 07:26 AM   #39
PatAttack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkey Uncle View Post
I've tried Wal Mart's select briskets a few times, but they never turn out quite right. The flat always ends up dry and chewy. I've tried internal temps from 185 to 203 and everything in between, but the result was the same. The last one I did still wasn't probe tender at 203 after 14+ hours at around 230 - 250. I thought about leaving it on, but went ahead and pulled it. I'm glad I did, as it was quite dry. If I had left in on longer it probably wouldn't have been fit to eat.

I'm using a COS with a water pan, starting the fire with charcoal and then mainly using sticks once the fire gets going. It's a pain to keep temps steady, but I usually manage to keep it mostly between 225 and 260. I've used it to cook choice briskets from other vendors, and they turned out fantastic. So I'm blaming the cheap selects instead of the cook. ;)
Stop cooking to temp and let it go until the thickest part of the flat probes with no effort. Use a toothpick, wooden skewer or the Thermapen tip to probe.
KCBS CBJ
"You have never lived until you have almost died". "For those who fight for it, life has a flavor the protected will never know".-Unknown Vietnam Soldier
PatAttack is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 11-02-2017, 08:20 AM   #40
Czarbecue
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Viet King Cong

I only have 2 Choice briskets in the freezer from my stash this summer. Would hate to venture back down to the Select world once it’s out.

I know Walmart keep their stock of brisket based on demand. I went to the one in Las Colinas where there’s a huge demographic shift. No brisket in sight.
Masterbuilt ThermoTemp
Weber Q2200
Tejas Smokers Triple Burner Hot Plate
Roccbox Pizza Oven
Blackstone 17" Griddle
Czarbecue is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-02-2017, 09:55 AM   #41
BeardedBassGuy
Full Fledged Farker

My question is is why you are buying wal-mart briskets when you have an HEB right there?!

But seriously those look great. I try to only smoke Costco Prime for regular eating, and do the grocery store select or choice for my brisket chili. Now I may have to try one out just to see what happens
BeardedBassGuy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-02-2017, 02:17 PM   #42
Ag76
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkey Uncle View Post

Probably not done yet. As PatAttack said, keep going until probe tender in the thickest part of the flat. The internal temp of the brisket and the amount of time taken to get there will vary as to when that point is reached. As others have pointed out before: undercooked = tough and dry, overcooked = crumbly and dry.

Lyfe Tyme - 16" x 40" Single Lid With Firebox

3 Weber Kettles

2 WSMs
Ag76 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-02-2017, 03:43 PM   #43
pjtexas1

Name/Nickname : Texas Pete

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeardedBassGuy View Post
My question is is why you are buying wal-mart briskets when you have an HEB right there?!
i agree. HEB keeps the prime briskets and beef plate ribs in the back. you just have to ask for them.

Shirley 24x55 Straight Back Cabinet 4 Racks
T&K Smokers GF /Abe's 48" Entertainer / 22.5 OTG
28" BS / Custom 20x52 vertical / Jimmy with CB Roti
Red Box Smoker on custom cart

2018 Texas Fall Bash - Oct. 27th 2018 https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/s...19#post3972819
2018 Texas Fall Bash Sign Up https://goo.gl/L6rTyE
pjtexas1 is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 11-02-2017, 04:55 PM   #44
Smoking Piney
Babbling Farker

I can't find a packer in any grocery store here....looks like I'll have to check Wally World.

Assassin 24
XL BGE
Weber Kettle with rotisserie and Vortex
AMNPS
Smoking Piney is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-02-2017, 06:18 PM   #45
BeardedBassGuy
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjtexas1 View Post
i agree. HEB keeps the prime briskets and beef plate ribs in the back. you just have to ask for them.
The HEB in the town SJ is in just happens the closest one to me. It’s 45 minutes, so we don’t make it often. Which stinks because I LOVE HEB.
BeardedBassGuy is offline   Reply With Quote