Newbie attempting 250 gal Reverse Flow Smoker build

08f7eb179f8b3da0af29527942e0de53.jpg

marked my line for the fire box opening with grease pencil. I measured 11in. Figuring this should make my baffle plate 4 in below my cooking grates? plan on attaching baffle plate directly to fire box. Doors I am planning on leaving 1 in at each end from weld line and 2.5 in gap in the middle. this will make doors 29in wide each. I planed bottom of door 1in below 3 o clock position and the top right at 12 o clock (to prevent rain water getting in once 1 1/2 in flat bar was welded into place)

4a6e02d7adc27ea22efd76779bd331e8.jpg

Good news and bad news. Good news is that the axle is actually 3500lb drop axle and good to go. Bad news is wiring is shot and will need to be redone and several pretty bad rust spots that will need alot of love before I can paint and get tank up on it. I was thinking of leaving the small tires on it. It pulls very nicely and seems like a good height so I can just weld feet already on tank to it without any modification to lift it higher. Any wisdom on this?

If those tires are as small as they look in the picture, they will be turning at a high rpm on the highway. That will really heat them up, especially with the weight you will be putting on them. Blow outs on trailer tires at 70 mph are very dangerous.

If those tires are as small as they look in the picture, they will be turning at a high rpm on the highway. That will really heat them up, especially with the weight you will be putting on them. Blow outs on trailer tires at 70 mph are very dangerous.

I won't be doing much highway driving and planned on replacing tires with 15in but after taking wood off it appears rust is eating away at too much. I ended up finding another trailer for cheap that is in much better shape made from a Tacoma truck bed. I'll post pics when I pick it up end of the week.

I won't be doing much highway driving and planned on replacing tires with 15in but after taking wood off it appears rust is eating away at too much. I ended up finding another trailer for cheap that is in much better shape made from a Tacoma truck bed. I'll post pics when I pick it up end of the week.
:thumb:

Reverse flow plate question. Is there a specific measurement for the opening at the opposite end from the FB or can I just end the flow plate where the bell begins?

Very interested in how this all turns out. Might have to build one of my own some day...:decision:

...Bad news is wiring is shot and will need to be redone...
Welcome to the world of trailers... I once heard about a guy who fixed his trailer wiring and had it last for a year. He was a lying SOB who never touched a trailer wire. LOL.:mad: Redone mine a hundred times, using Direct Burial wire and wet-location wire-nuts, and everything. Just plan on re-doing it frequently.

Reverse flow plate question. Is there a specific measurement for the opening at the opposite end from the FB or can I just end the flow plate where the bell begins?
I imagine all would be good if that spacing is the same or larger than the firebox opening (11 inches I believe you mentioned above).

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Thanks for the updates! I'm entertained with these types of builds. Pure envy!

I'm glad to see you switch out trailers. I revamped an older snowmobile trailer this summer with similar wheels and tires. The max load I could find when replacing similar wheel/tire was 900/lbs. I've been tempted to load my Shirley patio model onto the trailer with it weighing around 1,500 lbs. I'd have around 300 pounds or so until I max out the wheels/tires. I just can't get myself to trust it. I can only picture what the end result might be with a blown tire that size. I'd hate to see all the work you've done take a tumble or someone get hurt because of the smaller wheels. Good call going bigger!

def6c70901f4ea41c52a5f3aef2b4bae.jpg

2d20105fba5b966b3c687d84f9e73899.jpg

eb370bc0e8fa1b7704565aff8d9758fe.jpg

Made some progress today. Fire box to cook chamber cut out is done.

Picked up a new trailer that I think will work so much better than the free one from my dad.

Now I am just waiting on some bids for the plate steel. I plan to mount the tank to the trailer this weekend.

74695517e65f00fd9b273237613969a7.jpg

Took a break from the smoker to brew beer......the fuel that is powering all of my minions...I mean helpers......

2fd99bcd7fdbfd14d105d95ede12717c.jpg

Need advice....We got the tank up on the trailer and it looks great and fits perfect. Doors seem right height....but tongue weight is only 85lbs and FB (going to weigh 350lbs) is not mounted. We have discussed two options, looking for advice on what is best.

1. We cut back of trailer out and slide tank forward We would weld another frame support behind the FB and weld supports onto sides of FB itself into frame

2. Go with what we have and add counter weight into 4x4 tube and cap it off. (this begs question of how much weight?)

Brace the front and add a wood storage bin. Maybe a two burner propane stove. Pipe that to a fire starter in the FB.

My advice would be to get the smoker finished. Until final weight is established, trying to determine the mounting position is a guessing game. You need the completed weight to get the tongue weight into a safe range.

Adding counterbalance weight just adds to the sprung weight. Really easy to possibly overload the safe working load range of a used (wrecked?) Tacoma frame, cut and welded contrary to its engineered original design.

You mentioned possibly renting this rig out, and you really don't want to have the liability of the tail wagging the dog. Glad to see your attention to tongue weight, but adding unnecessary counterbalance weight also compromises every weld, spring, shackle, bushing, bearing, tires, etc.

Not trying to pee in your fire on this build, but weight adds up quick.

52665c8c4f5ce49892df1676bcaf7ed3.jpg

So after holidays and back to back shifts on the helicopter I am back to thinking about the smoker build. I am wondering if doing something like pictured above is a good thought? I would build a support brace up and over the fire box out of 3/16 3in or 4in tube. It would be 12in high giving it clearance of about an inch from the firebox and then cutting the lower crossmember out as shown by the x. This would allow for support at the springs and eliminated the FB being welded into the frame. Thoughts/advice? I am actually having alot of fun planning this through and taking my time. I appreciate all the help!

2013b205afbea15cfcb4eb38b098b43e.jpg

First door completely cut out an hinges welded on! Feels like a big first step. Plan on burning out inside with fall tree scraps tomorrow.

This is pretty much what I’m looking to build with help of FIL and BIL. Watching this one closely. Looks great so far!!!!

3e0bb39b6013584ba7f577fabb29e502.jpg

Help!!! We welded the 1 1/2 in flat bar to finish the door and this happened. Is there a way to bend the door or do I need to grind bar off and start over?

Back