The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 11-11-2017, 02:53 PM   #1
IshamR09
Got rid of the matchlight.

Default First Whole Chicken - Is it good?

Cooked my first whole chicken today. Cooked around 290 for about an hour and a half, thermometer read 175 in the thigh and higher in the breast. When pulling the legs, I had a significant amount of red meat. I know that I should expect some around the bones and at the joints, but this seems excessive. Thoughts? I saved the breast but pitched the rest. I think I made the right decision, but uncertain.

IshamR09 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-11-2017, 03:09 PM   #2
CptKaos
Full Fledged Farker

Just not done yet, I cook whole fryers at 325-350 and temp at thigh 180-185

Larry
Weber Genesis II e410
18x36 pipe grill
Fall 2017 TBBB survivor:)
Molon Labe!

CptKaos is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 11-11-2017, 04:11 PM   #3
Cook
is Blowin Smoke!

Name/Nickname : Jay

Sorry to say...but that chicken was done.

Old 11-11-2017, 04:16 PM   #4
Cook
is Blowin Smoke!

Name/Nickname : Jay

It actually doesn't look like you have any red around the bones/joints, is that true? The red looks to be closer to the surface. Chicken will turn a red color when smoked (pink color is common for smoked chicken). Also, the juices on the board look to be clear. That is another indication that your chicken was properly cooked.

I would not say that you should expect pink meat around the bone/joints...that would be undercooked. A fully cooked bird will not show pink in those areas.

If you did have alot of undercooked meat, then immediately throw that crummy thermometer away or learn how to calibrate it...it's way off.

But from what I see the thermometer is fine. The bird looks just right. Are the pictures showing an accurate representation?

Old 11-11-2017, 04:30 PM   #5
CptKaos
Full Fledged Farker

Looks close to done, tendon still attached, just a little longer IMHO

Larry
Weber Genesis II e410
18x36 pipe grill
Fall 2017 TBBB survivor:)
Molon Labe!

CptKaos is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-11-2017, 04:42 PM   #6
Shagbark
On the road to being a farker

I'd say it's done. Looks like the the meat pulled off the bone easily.
I smoke mine for 1.5 hours at 190 then turn up to 325 until done, approx 1.25 - 1.5 hours additional. I like mine well done but still moist.
Shagbark is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 11-11-2017, 05:16 PM   #7
Mikhail
is One Chatty Farker

I'd just throw the red parts back on a bit. Other than that it looks great.

PK Grill
Broil King Signet 320 Propane
Mikhail is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-11-2017, 05:35 PM   #8
Shagbark

Don't know what smoker you have but in mine the meat next to the grate gets more of a smoke ring than the upper parts.
This could be one explanation for the pink leg meat. Can't remember the breast getting much of a smoke ring.
Shagbark is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 11-11-2017, 06:05 PM   #9
IshamR09
Got rid of the matchlight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cook View Post
It actually doesn't look like you have any red around the bones/joints, is that true? The red looks to be closer to the surface. Chicken will turn a red color when smoked (pink color is common for smoked chicken). Also, the juices on the board look to be clear. That is another indication that your chicken was properly cooked.

I would not say that you should expect pink meat around the bone/joints...that would be undercooked. A fully cooked bird will not show pink in those areas.

If you did have alot of undercooked meat, then immediately throw that crummy thermometer away or learn how to calibrate it...it's way off.

But from what I see the thermometer is fine. The bird looks just right. Are the pictures showing an accurate representation?
I didn't have any red around the bones and the juices were clear. I picked the worst for the photos.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shagbark View Post
Don't know what smoker you have but in mine the meat next to the grate gets more of a smoke ring than the upper parts.
This could be one explanation for the pink leg meat. Can't remember the breast getting much of a smoke ring.
I have an Acorn and cook with the pizza stone in it; decent separation.

Sounds like I need to try it again and let the yard bird cook a bit longer. Thanks!
IshamR09 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-12-2017, 01:18 AM   #10
Badjak
Full Fledged Farker

It looks fine to me. The temperature is fine as well (again, if your thermometer is accurate).
I wouldn't have thrown anything out. If you are worried, I would just have fried it a bit more (even if that's on the stove in a skillet).
It's most likely just the smoke ring.
I have to admit, I found that a bit scary looking the first time I smoked a chicken

Old 11-12-2017, 08:38 AM   #11
sniperfx
Full Fledged Farker

Looks fine to me!!!

Old 11-12-2017, 08:44 AM   #12
HouseDoc

I switched to spatchcock (butterfly ) method only now. Dark meat at 185, 165 on breasts. I inject with butter and chix broth before cooking. Plowboys yardbird rub. Nuttin finer. Wife pulls meat off the birds. Only problem is she samples too much!
HouseDoc is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->