Just me and my son for a week - might need more charcoal!

10miler

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
Next week my wife and daughter will be taking my in-laws back to Virginia. They've been with us since Easter due to father in law's health condition, heart surgery, and recovery. So it will just be me and the boy, and I think he is eagerly anticipating the grilling/smoking we'll be doing. He's already requested spatch-cocked chicken. I'm thinking ribs some other night, maybe a small pork butt. We might have to make enchiladas with leftover pulled pork. The possibilities are endless. In any case, I'm looking forward to cooking without worrying about my FIL's dietary restrictions.

He's 15, and has taken a couple of culinary classes at school. Hasn't shown much interest in grilling, but I'm also usually in a rush. With me in charge of menu & shopping that will change. I'm quite looking forward to this myself!

I will be in the same boat as you 10miler. My wife and daughter are going to Jersey next week so it is the boys and me all week. My boys are already talkin ribs, wings, brisket. I had to tell them to slow down a bit. I still gotta work. Like your 15 year old mine has also taken some cooking classes in school and shows a great interest in the finer art of BBQ. My 9 year old just likes to eat and can tear up a rack of baby backs. I see a lot of BBQ in the next week to come. Good chance for me to break in the new Weber kettles I just purchased. Looks like were in this together.

I will be in the same boat as you 10miler. My wife and daughter are going to Jersey next week so it is the boys and me all week. My boys are already talkin ribs, wings, brisket. I had to tell them to slow down a bit. I still gotta work. Like your 15 year old mine has also taken some cooking classes in school and shows a great interest in the finer art of BBQ. My 9 year old just likes to eat and can tear up a rack of baby backs. I see a lot of BBQ in the next week to come. Good chance for me to break in the new Weber kettles I just purchased. Looks like were in this together.

Nice! I have to work too, but I work from home 100%. So I'll be able to prep at lunchtime/afternoon break, etc. Heck I'm in a meeting at this very moment!

He's 15, and has taken a couple of culinary classes at school. Hasn't shown much interest in grilling, but I'm also usually in a rush. With me in charge of menu & shopping that will change. I'm quite looking forward to this myself!

That's fantastic that he likes being involved. My 3 yr old loves "helping" but the type of help he can be is limited. He did watch most of a sausage making video with me last night though... so I think he's getting the bug :laugh:

Nice! I have to work too, but I work from home 100%. So I'll be able to prep at lunchtime/afternoon break, etc. Heck I'm in a meeting at this very moment!
I want your job. I am stuck in a hanger or on a flight line all day.

That's fantastic that he likes being involved. My 3 yr old loves "helping" but the type of help he can be is limited. He did watch most of a sausage making video with me last night though... so I think he's getting the bug :laugh:

That's great! Get them started early. We used to watch shows like Chopped as a family, and everyone enjoyed it.

Preliminary menu might be something like this.

Spatchcock chicken & a fatty
Pulled pork - drip pan with beans
Enchiladas made with refried beans (from drip pan) and leftover pulled pork
Smoked chuckie?

Obviously we'll grill some spuds & veggies along the way. Might need to pick up a grill pan.

I want your job. I am stuck in a hanger or on a flight line all day.

I've got a pretty good gig. Almost had an emergency this morning though. My vintage percolator starting sparking at the plug. Fortunately these things were made were made to be fixed and I had it up and running in 20 minutes.

Attachments

• IMG_0746.jpg
    IMG_0746.jpg
    81.7 KB · Views: 577
  • IMG_0747.jpg
    IMG_0747.jpg
    63.8 KB · Views: 575
That would have been an emergency if you didn't get that back up and running. That same thing happened to me a few weeks back with a vintage waffle maker. fixed her right up and still running. Gotta love the vintage stuff.

That would have been an emergency if you didn't get that back up and running. That same thing happened to me a few weeks back with a vintage waffle maker. fixed her right up and still running. Gotta love the vintage stuff.

For sure, I just wish everything these days were made the same way. Now we pretty much throw away and buy another.

The best news is your father in law is well enough to travel and secondly you and your son have a plan for some great que.

I used to take vacation day just to be in the same position you are in!

Back