Struggling with chicken thighs. Please help!!!

The WSM is not the best rig for chicken. It doesn't get hot enough to crisp the skin properly (at least not to my standard of crispiness). I've tried a couple times on my WSM, and even getting it up to 325, which is about all it will do with no pan and all the vents wide open, the skin didn't crisp up the way I like it.

I stick to direct heat on the gasser for chicken, because I don't really like smoke flavor on chicken anyway. I get super-crisp skin and plenty of good "grilled" flavor from the drippings vaporizing.

Also, thighs are best (in my opinion) when cooked to the point that they have shrunk noticeably and the meat releases from the bone very easily. I never bother to temp them, but I'm guessing this is probably 180 or more.

I usually do them indirect on the Performer to 165-170. Then if needed (it usually isn’t)I toss them directly over the coals to crisp up the skin.

VR,
Harold

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

My family calls me the thigh master, I brine my thighs for 1 hr before cooking. Most times I'll make them on the kettle but I'll do the WSM too.
I'll smoke them meat side down for about 35-40 min@ 275-300 empty water bowl, to about 155 i.t. and finish on the gasser skin side down to about 165/170 i.t.
I then flip them skin side up, sauce them for 10 more min. take off rest about 5 min. No rubbery or bouncy chicken here.

I brine mine for 2hrs- using thirdeyes recipe Use Qt water 2 TBS kosher salt, 2 TBS light brown sugar, I added some honey and a little old bay seasoning on my own Bring water to boil Let the water chill overnight Put 8 thighs in for 2 hrs with or without skin Rinse them off after this pat dry and let them set in fridge for 4 hrs or more If with skin cut off excess skin Put on rub under skin and on under side after brushing on olive oil Cook on Egg, using lump, direct with a raised grid @ 400-450 for 25-30 min Let it rest for 5 mun min eat Oh sooooo good One our go too meals

Old bay, I use it on fish and crab all the time, never thought to try on chicken.
Can you pick it up in the final product. I will sneak some in next go around.

I had the same problem. Chicken was rubbery and always seemed under cooked. I recommend cooking hotter and a bit longer than you normally would. Also let the chicken rest for 15mins or so after cooked. Maybe it's just me but the meat seems to relax and more tender once it's stabilized and cooling down.

Sounds like you need to just take them to higher IT to eliminate the bounce and find a way to give the skin some high direct heat before finishing.

Leave uncovered in fridge for 24 hours (dries the skin leading to better crisping, salting will help too). Buy a better grade of thighs, for me the weekly sales thighs are not always decent quality.

I've done a lot in the Egg, direct, 350, start skin side down, flip after 20 minutes and start checking temp after 35 minutes looking for 180

Here's what I do for whole chicken:

I make my own chicken rub, it has no salt in it.
Dry brine the chicken with 1,5% salt and the rub, wrap in plastic foil and put in the fridge for at least 24 hours.
Remove foil and spatchcock, put it back in the fridge to dry for 24 hours.
Cooked at 325-350F.
The skin will not be totally crispy but will be bite thru.

Liberal dusting of J.O. Seasoning and Montreal chicken.

Skin side up over lump charcoal with some hickory chunks thrown in. Temp about 375-400

Flip when it hits about 165. Keep lid shut and crisp skin for a few mins then flip back over and pull around 180

a nice light coating of olive oil will help it crisp up nicely and it will help a rub stick better...temps over 300 will help.

Ok folks, I have a family of 6. I own 2 wsm and 1 egg. My ribs and butts are great. Everytime I make chicken I flat out suck. The skin is slimy and I get "this chicken is bouncy" from my 12 yr old daughter. Not even sure what that means. I've tried it every way possible and am at a loss. If we go to jim n nicks they eat the chicken and love it. But I can't get it right. Does anyone have a good recipe that will work on the egg or weber smoker that I can try so I can fix this issue? Thanks to all

Smoke your Chicken around 350 to 375°. The skin will crisp up a little more.
Bonus is it want take as long to do the Thighs.
In my experience the Dark meat of Thighs takes longer to cook than White meat. (Keep an eye on it)

Years ago my daddy told me to cook it till it's done. Don't get hooked on cooking at some temp you saw on Youtube, same for cooking temps.
NOBODY WANTS TO EAT RUBBERY CHICKEN. Hot and Fast for chicken, not low and slow. Some of the driest chicken I ever was served by a buddy who bragged about his low and slow chicken.

Last edited:
Order some of this: https://www.oakridgebbq.com/?product=game-changer-brine

Or this: https://www.naturiffic.com/gourmet/harvest-brine

And brine dry or wet. I prefer game changer.

Then rub with this: https://www.bigpoppasmokers.com/plo...MI097RnrLn2wIVxiaGCh0fIwHMEAAYAiAAEgJWyfD_BwE

Or this: https://www.bigpoppasmokers.com/slap-yo-daddy-jailbird-chicken-bbq-rub-6oz

Then put on the smoke and let them roll. I don’t adjust temp for chicken I just let them smoke until they are done. I have had incredible results from just the above. Good luck and let us know what ends up working!

I have had very good luck on my pellet pooper. Brine, rub, and coat skin with butter or olive oil. Smoke at 225 for about 1hr, then crank up to 300-325 til I get an IT of 175-180. Family loves them. Skin is not "fried" crispy, but has a solid crunch. You have to have higher heat and some oli/grease to set it up. Keep working at it, you will find what works for you.

Back