my two uds's

mmmmeat

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
so a while ago i came across a bunch of drums, in fact, if i wanted, i've got a steady stream of them via a buddy in the motorcycle bizniz. so i grabbed up 6 of them and already shared the brotherly love.

I shot Mr.Bo one so he could get his UDS on, and if any of you more local fellers need one lemme know i'll hook ya up!!

at the same time that i gave Bo one, i started one, that was 3 weeks ago... on wed i decided that i needed another one, to help me keep up with a couple gigs i have next week... i just didnt have the space on my current smokers.

i went ahead with a basic Norcoredneck recipe UDS ( which can be found here) http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=43943

this time i made a lil "video" not really video but a time lapse i slammed together so check it out, and lemme know what ya think!!

Ugly Drum Smoker - YouTube

NICE!

BUT....how'd you cut that lid off? I am finishing up another UDS build, but have 4 more drums to make more with. The ones I have have a removable lid already so there's no need to cut them off, but a 22" Weber lid won't fit over the top of the drum. Did you cut the rolled lip off?

NICE!

BUT....how'd you cut that lid off? I am finishing up another UDS build, but have 4 more drums to make more with. The ones I have have a removable lid already so there's no need to cut them off, but a 22" Weber lid won't fit over the top of the drum. Did you cut the rolled lip off?

Watch it again wamp ;) I used recip saw , a weber lid will fit.....if you massage the lip a lil wider with a hammer :D so ikept the rolled lip so I don't have to worry bout a sharp edge

Posted from my fancy android fone!!

Watch it again wamp ;) I used recip saw , a weber lid will fit.....if you massage the lip a lil wider with a hammer :D so ikept the rolled lip so I don't have to worry bout a sharp edge

Oh, I saw the saws-all, I guess I meant where was the cut, now "how".
So, you massaged the LID? That's how I did one I'm finishing. However, I used a Uni-Flame grill lid, which is a bit smaller than a Weber, so the lip on the lid is pretty much just flattened out.

Also.....if you DID massage the Weber lid, how did you keep from cracking the porcelain coating?

Oh, I saw the saws-all, I guess I meant where was the cut,

Also.....if you DID massage the Weber lid, how did you keep from cracking the porcelain coating?

The cut was there...(only like 2 frames though, cuz it cut faster than my camera was takin pics...)

And to be truthful....the coating cracked like a mutha!!! No getting around that ...but it fits, ;)

Yea, by massage the lid, I used a short piece of 2x4 and tapped the Weber lip with it, on mine. It fits snug without gripping the rolled edge of my barrel, so there isn't any struggle to remove it. I also took my 4.5" angle grinder and put an angled edge on the rolled lip, just make sure there wasn't any chance for the lid to stick onto the barrel. At the same time it prevents most smoke from escaping (except when it is first starting up with all the extra white smoke) and it seems to be getting a nice seal developing from the smoke buildi up on the inside of the lid.

i did kinda the same thing, w/o the 2x4, i hammered the flange out all the way around then put it on top of the barrel, then i centered it, and hammered around the flange to make it hug the lip on the barrel, and it seems to do the same sealing in the smoke, except upon heavy smoke periods, but i dont think that it's enough of a smoke loss to make a difference.

now i just need to find a lid, but i think my SIL has one from a cheapo 22" grill of some sort that im gonna go check out after church!, gotta love freebies!!!

Nice job mmmmeat. I have the top off of mine and ther holes drilles for the nipples and ball valve. Took the drum to the car wash this morning and used the engine de-greaser to clean it out a little. Stopped at Ace on the way home and picked up a Weber replacement grate and the nuts, bolts, washers to hold the charcoal basket off the bottom. Also got some more metal cut off discs for the grinder. A new charcoal basket will be done today. Gettin' closer!

thanks Bo!!, i did end up finding a lid in the way of an old crappy 22 in chargril of some sort, so dont gotta worry bout that anymore... after this cook, i gotta find couple cheapo racks, so that i can add for the terracotta difusers i have for each of the twins. comin along nice!!!

Good for you! Mine is done with the exception of a lid and cooking grates. Got company on the way now so will try to get some pics up later on the UDS thread. Don't wanna hijack yours.

48c98261-2e80-fb04.jpg

You said that you got the barrels from a buddy in the motorcycle business so I am assuming it had some type of oil in it. I have seen where a lot of people say to use food grade barrels only but a lot of people say it does not matter as long as you burn it out in good shape it does not matter. I would like to hear opinions on this and it would make any difference if it was used motor oil instead of new oil.

these were all new barrels, and i am of firm belief that a good GOOOOOOOOD LOOOOOONNNNNGGGG HOOOOOOOOOTTTT burn will rid the barrel of any harm. period, and this is my post so what i say goes ;)

all i hear of food grade barrels, is. "OH NO mine has the dreaded LINER..". fark that liner i say, my first barrel was a race fuel barrel, and these last two were (clean) oil drums that got basically an overnight burnout, using logs of stuff i dont smoke with ( smoking wood that generally has knots in it, or just is a PITA to split otherwise) get that goin and i sit by the fire for a good 3-4 hours just chillin and stokin that badboy, then once the coals get down to a decent level, it's off to bed, and both drums were still hot in the am when i dumped and cleaned em out, not a trace of oil, (you know what water does on top of oil...yeah none of that)

i also wouldnt be scared of using used oil drum either... it would just be a lot more cleaning up, i'd probably wash the thing before i burn it out with a heavy degreaser ( i dont do that with the clean oil) but again i believe that a super hot fire will get rid of all the nasties...

How hot do my burnouts get?? well i get a nice ring around the whole barrel where it actually starts turning the metal red. oh and while it's nice and hot the paint comes right off if you spray the OUTSIDE with a hose, blasts the paint right off... then ya dont gotta breath in nasty paint dust sanding it!!!!!( which is probably more hazardous than cookin with an old oil drum

in my honest opinion :D

First smoke goin tomorrow, question is brisket..or butt...hmmmm

Back