What is a good pizza oven to buy that is modestly priced????

Just to get your feet wet Paul I'll echo getting a cooking steel for your oven. Look up the specs on one and I'll bet you have or can get the materials to fab one. Unless you want to do Neapolitan style an oven works just fine for pies. Whichever way you go hit me up for some sauce, dough and cheese recommendations.

I've been doing a lot of research on pizza ovens and I'm leaning towards the Roccbox. I also like the Uuni Pro. I like that the Roccbox comes with gas and wood burners and is a little easier to travel with if I want to take it to my parents house when I visit. Look on William Sonoma's website. They send me 20-25% off with free shipping coupons all the time.

Blackstone, Uuni, Roccbox and Pizza Party are all great ovens for their price range, I've owned all but the Roccbox. Cooked on the RB a couple of times and it does a great job. Can't go wrong with any of them.

I have a Uuni 3 and it works very well. I also bought the gas attachment but have not used it yet. I hear it works very well. So far I've not had any issues using the pellets so I will keep using them for now.

I also have the Kettle Pizza attachment for the Weber Kettle and have had mixed results with it. I prefer the Uuni.

I have the Blackstone pizza oven and really like it. My only complaint is no wood smoke flavor. I've been using foil pellet pouches to try to obtain the flavor I want.

That's my issue as well. Love the process, it makes good pizza, but we like the wood taste the kamado imparts. Where are you putting the foil pouch and how's it working for you?

For pies in the home oven, I second the use of a baking steel and also Ken forkish’s book, “elements of pizza”. It’s spot on for home ovens (any cooker that tops out at 550-600 degrees). Pizzamaking dot com is your resource for all things pizza....pizza making is a rabbit hole with no end:)

Memphis Elite

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Still beyond happy with my chargriller akorn. Stone diffuser from chargriller, pizza stone from amazon, and 2 fire bricks broken in half(2 half bricks stacked on top of each other per side of stone to elevate the stone). Elevated the stone gives perfect doneness for the crust as well as the top of the pie including raw ingredients like sausage. Plus you end up with a solid grill for steaks, burgers, chops, etc. $400 total or so for the complete set up.

I use zippylips dough recipe off of here.

I only have experience with the uuni 3 and I like it.
I used it with pellets when I bought it second hand in the Netherlands and that works well.
The pellets I can get here are a bit different and produce a lot of soot, so I have attached the gas burner and that works good as well (almost too simple)
Needless to say, I have been eating lots of pizza, flammkuchen and flatbreads

Good luck with your decission making process!

Blackstone, Uuni, Roccbox and Pizza Party are all great ovens for their price range, I've owned all but the Roccbox. Cooked on the RB a couple of times and it does a great job. Can't go wrong with any of them.

This is a good list. I think the Blackstone was in a league of it's own in terms of performance for the money but it's discontinued and the replacement (if it's even out) is WAY more expensive.

And even though I live in CT I still seem drawn to TX shaped pies myself.

I figured i should throw my 2 cents in here. So i have had the roccbox for 6+ months and i can say it does create great pizzas, it is portable, it looks nice. I, however, have changed my mind after some heavy use. While I do think it makes an excellent product, it has a few shortcomings:

1- takes about 1 hour to get the floor to temp for neapolitan pizza
2- if you do 1-3 pizzas you are in pretty good shape regarding the temp staying hot enough, however after the 2nd pie the floor has lost a good amount of heat and it doesn't give you as crisp as a crust as pie 1.
3- its a little small and sometimes is annoying when you are trying to rotate your pizza.

Other than these things it has been a great little oven.

On a side note, i just ordered an uuni pro as they are running a special for national pizza month where they are throwing in a bunch of extras including the gas attachment. I will be reporting back on my thoughts.

Looking forward to it scotts1919. Don't forget all the other things you can make with it if you have a few cast iron pans. Steaks come out great!

It appears that Blackstone has discontinued their pizza oven. Seems a little odd because everyone who has them seems to love them. Anyone know what happened or if Blackstone is going to offer an updated model?

Rumor has it that they are coming out with an updated pizza oven. I'm not sure when, where, and how much....

Thx Guys and Gals.... i must be honest ( and quite embarrassed) it just doned on me i started this thread..... i swear with all that has happened here and having a doctors appointment in Birmingham yesterday .... i am just now getting to this.....Good lord am i just totally losing my mind.... i totally apologize.... thx for all the replies.... i am going to read them all.... Lawd help me

Thx Guys and Gals.... i must be honest ( and quite embarrassed) it just doned on me i started this thread..... i swear with all that has happened here and having a doctors appointment in Birmingham yesterday .... i am just now getting to this.....Good lord am i just totally losing my mind.... i totally apologize.... thx for all the replies.... i am going to read them all.... Lawd help me

Hang in there Paul. This is why it's the Brethren. I'm thinking about experimenting with pizza cooked in castiron skillet when I retire next month.

That's how I do them. We like deep dish pizza, and they come out round.:-D

We are thin crust fans. I'm surprised I've not seen any info here about anyone doing it. Could be a regional thing. Hard to beat the brick oven ones we order though.

pvGWCtG.jpg

Don’t think I’ve seen anyone mention the Kettle Pizza oven. Pretty sure i’ve seen some Brethren happy with that product...sounded interesting to me but don’t know too much about it.

Back