MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 04-12-2012, 10:40 AM   #121
Panthers65
is one Smokin' Farker

Very nice build, I've been wanting to build something similar to this, but on a smaller scale for home use. Looking forward to some results tomorrow!
Panthers65 is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->

Old 04-12-2012, 03:12 PM   #122
mikeTRON
Full Fledged Farker

I have an idea: trade me for my WSM then your loading problems are solved
mikeTRON is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-14-2012, 01:38 PM   #123
TTNuge
Full Fledged Farker

First cook pron is posted here....

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...85#post2015285

Trent

Old 04-14-2012, 01:44 PM   #124
mykeystoy
Full Fledged Farker

Well Done... the pit not my food please.
mykeystoy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-14-2012, 05:30 PM   #125
Contracted Cookers
is one Smokin' Farker

great build
Contracted Cookers is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-24-2013, 06:22 PM   #126
fireman_pete
Full Fledged Farker

I just found this thread. I am getting ready to make a BQ clone like this. What thickness tube and sheet did you use for the skin? I need to keep mine as light as possible, but still need it big enough to hold 6 full pans.

Does the 1" insulation give you enough, or do you think that 1.5 or 2 would be better?

Have any plans you can share?

THanks again, great job!
fireman_pete is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-25-2013, 08:41 AM   #127
TTNuge
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by fireman_pete View Post
I just found this thread. I am getting ready to make a BQ clone like this. What thickness tube and sheet did you use for the skin? I need to keep mine as light as possible, but still need it big enough to hold 6 full pans.

Does the 1" insulation give you enough, or do you think that 1.5 or 2 would be better?

Have any plans you can share?

THanks again, great job!
I used 14ga tubing and 16ga sheeting. One thing the smoker is not is light. It's a heavy beast.

The 1" insulation works but it does get pretty hot down by the firebox. Most of the smoker is warm to the touch but you can touch it. But down low by the firebox, especially in the corners it's hot and pretty much untouchable. 2" would definitely be better but 1" worked good enough for me.

Old 04-25-2013, 07:21 PM   #128
fireman_pete
Full Fledged Farker

thanks for the feedback. I am thinking of using 1.5" insulation. Also thinking of using 16 gauge on the inside, and either 18 or 20 on the outside. The firebox bottom and top would be much thicker, at least 1/8" sheet, maybe 1/4" sheet if I can find it.

My size I am looking at would be about 50" tall, 30" wide, and 24" deep (those are inside dimensions) My shelfs would be 30x24, to ensure that I can hold 2 pans per shelf. They would be spaced 4" apart.

I am looking at a firebox that is 12" high on the side, is that enough?

Also looking at not having a removable heat diverter, simply put a thick piece of sheet on the top of the firebox, than simply put a water pan right on top in the cooking chamber....

I am going to try and get my sketch turned into something I can post for feedback. Thanks!

Pete

Quote:
Originally Posted by TTNuge View Post
I used 14ga tubing and 16ga sheeting. One thing the smoker is not is light. It's a heavy beast.

The 1" insulation works but it does get pretty hot down by the firebox. Most of the smoker is warm to the touch but you can touch it. But down low by the firebox, especially in the corners it's hot and pretty much untouchable. 2" would definitely be better but 1" worked good enough for me.
fireman_pete is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-25-2013, 10:05 PM   #129
jgbmgb
is one Smokin' Farker

Nice job!!

Tags
backwoods, build, clone, stumps, Superior