MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 11-06-2009, 11:42 AM   #1
LMAJ
somebody shut me the fark up.

Question Home Made pizza sauce....

What's your favorite recipe and why?
1 Large BGE and table - 8/29/12
1300 Timberline 5/26/17
1 18.5 WSM
Super Fast BLUE and REDThermopen
1 - Fantastic hubby - the original Big Al
Enjoy the little things, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things. - Robert Brault
LMAJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-06-2009, 12:07 PM   #2
leanza
Babbling Farker

If I told you I would have to eliminate you.

Because it's that good. Really.

Old 11-06-2009, 12:27 PM   #3
icemncmth
On the road to being a farker

It depends on what type of pizza I am doing. I make a lot of pizzas on my egg most just use a simple recipe..

1 large can crushed toms. I add to that some garlic, dried basil, oregano, a little S&P. I pinch of sugar if need...This is not a cooked sauce it is used for my Neapolitan style pizzas. I want a "fresh" tasting sauce not a cooked one.

If I am doing a cooked sauce I buy 2 large cans of crushed toms. In a pan I saute an onion, 6 cloves of garlic then add the toms. I let that simmer and taste. I add Salt Pepper and some dried red peppers. I add oregano during each step.

Now the important part. I taste the sauce. If it tastes good from the spoon I add more spices. The reason is most people don't think about the fact that the sauce needs to have a good full flavor or it will get lost in the toppings. One favorite trick of mine is to add anchovy paste to the sauce for some good depth. If you really want people to scratch their head cook some pepperoni and sausage in the sauce and remove it before cooking. Gives the sauce a nice flavor..!

I also like to spice up all my toppings including fresh veggies. I will take tom's and slice them, sprinkle salt and pepper on them and lay them between a lot of paper towels to absorb the moisture.

Remember one thing...Layer your flavors!!!!!

It is like a pot of stew you can throw everything in the pot at one time and it may look like a stew but it will be bland. If you brown the meat and ad spices then brown some onions..etc you "layer" your flavors..

Do the same thing with a pizza and people will love your pizzas.
icemncmth is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-06-2009, 12:36 PM   #4
BobBrisket

Name/Nickname : Bob

Ragu...................er, ok, maybe not the kinda answer you were looking for.

No set recipe, but I like to start off by sauteeing onions then finely sliced garlic and then toss in crushed maters or better yet from the garden when I have them and then go from there. Fresh basil, oregano, salt and pepper and red pepper flakes. Oddly, I add smoked oysters and or chopped sardines and capers since we like a Putanesca type of sauce. And one thing we must have is chopped hearts of palm. Don't know why, but just tried it once since we had some leftover from a pizza night and loved em. Then of course some shrooms too.
All over some angel hair. Some reason, angel hair pasta is our fav too. I can't wait to see where this thread goes.
PBC-Courtesy of Poobah, 22.5 Weber Kettles-A, K, DR Stamped, 18.5 Weber Bar-B-Kettle Black and Red, Weber 18.5 Smokey Joe Platinum, Weber Genesis Silver, Lil' Chief Smoker, Discada Set Up,OKJ Highland Offset.
BobBrisket Jr.-MUDS, WSJ Silver
My BEST Compliment....."You're a good cooker, Dad!"--My Son :)
Miss You, Marty and Bull! RIP
BobBrisket is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 11-06-2009, 12:46 PM   #5
Blackened
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : Chris

Old 11-06-2009, 12:46 PM   #6
Brauma

I'm going to take my 1st whack at pizza on the Egg this wknd. Buying all the goodies today. Thanks for starting this thread.

I plan to buy my own sauce this go 'round. I saw a canned sauce in the Whole Food Market that looked promising. It was an old school looking can with the ridges, mostly yellow, I think it has a pizza man characture on it.

Gotta love Google. Here it is:

I went into Whole Foods to find the dough that Rick's Tropical was refering to. I think I found it. It was just a big, raw dough ball. $2.99 for 22 oz of dough. I think it should make 2 medium sized pies. I plan to get 2 dough balls.

I'm sure to report in how it goes. I've got my Red Stripe and ready to emulate Rick!!

Community Development VP - Secret Squirrel Society (but we don't exist)
Member: KCBS. CBJ

New Braunfels Bandera - refurbished; Two Big Green Eggs; 6' fire pit; Weber Kettles; Superfast Blue Thermepan
Brauma is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-06-2009, 12:50 PM   #7
IronStomach
Full Fledged Farker

I've been making deep dish Chicago style pies for over two decades now, one thing I never change is the sauce. It's simple: for two pizzas I take three 28oz cans of peeled tomatoes (with or without basil added), drain them really well, break up the tomatoes and drain that. Throw in a bit of sugar and some oregano and mix it up. Let it sit for at least 30 minutes and drain once more before putting the tomatoes on the pie.

Sauce always goes on top of the cheese and ingredients, some parmesan on top of the pie and the rest is magic.

I use this recipe for 12" deep dish pies (EDIT: measured my pans, they're 14"ers, heh). Like I said, the sauce is the only thing that never changes, it doesn't have to, I've changed everything else about my pizzas over the years to get to where they're at now, and the sauce is the one part I've never felt needed to be different. I always get the perfect tangy taste of tomatoes on my pies, and they're not watery, which is amazing since I use at least a pound of mozz per pie. Sweated mushrooms and onions and bell peppers go really well with this. As does just cheese and a pound and a half of cooked italian sausage. Used two half lb Armadillo Eggs on a pie recently, been saving that for another post with pics, was inspired by Rick's Tropical Delight. But the sauce went well with that too.

Tomatoes on top of veggies, 2lbs of sweated mushrooms, 1.5 lbs of italian sausage, 1 lb of mozzarella:

Tomatoes on top of two half pound Illinois Armadillo Eggs (BBQ rubbed, 2/3 pork sausage, 1/3 ground chuck, 1 big jalapeno stuffed with cheddar) on top of 1 pound of mozzarella:

Everyone I've made these for (friends and relatives birthday parties usually) claims they're the best pizza they've ever had. They probably haven't eaten as much pizza as I have, but they're happy. :D

Last edited by IronStomach; 11-06-2009 at 01:44 PM.. Reason: more pan
IronStomach is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-06-2009, 01:01 PM   #8
LMAJ

Yes Char - Come for dinner....
1300 Timberline 5/26/17
1 18.5 WSM
Enjoy the little things, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things. - Robert Brault

Old 11-06-2009, 01:18 PM   #9
BBQchef33
Grand Poobah and Site Admin

Name/Nickname : Phil

Mines a simple uncooked sauce.

first I heat some good olive oil aand add some(4-5 cloves) fresh garlic put thru a press. Then 2 cans of D.O.P San Marzano tomatos and a small can of tomato paste. A handful of fresh chopped basil, tablespoon of oregano and tablespoon italian seasoning. Salt and black pepper to taste. i dont cook it, just let it sit for about 20 minutes.

CBJ with a Fuzzy Blue Hat, 18 Foot Competition Trailer, Customized Klose BYC, Custom Built Shirley built to feed our Veterans(A.K.A "Abrams"), 1 Double Barreled Lang 84, 1 Heavily Modified Bionic Bandera, 1 Custom Super Medium Stickburning Spicewine w/stoker, 2 XL BGE, 1 Mini BGE, 2 Pit Barrel Cookers, 3 WSMs, 3 Weber Kettles, an NB Hondo, A Modified Brinkman Horizontal, DCS 48" Grill, a Broilmaster P3, a Blackstone 36 and 17, a covered, pellet pooping FEC100, and our duck died. :(

News Flash:
"A mans worth is judged by the weight of his integrity "

You know your getting older when you choose your cereal for the fiber, not the toy

Smoke on KC.
WWW.BBQ-BRETHREN.COM
BBQchef33 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-06-2009, 01:27 PM   #10
MilitantSquatter

Mine is close to Phil's but I don't use the fresh garlic & I don't add tomato paste

olive oil and and fresh basil applied after pizza is cooked only..

uncooked DOP certified San Marzano tomatoes (strained) .. very gently pulsed in blender for about 5-10 seconds at most.. I crushed by hand too in the past but I prefer less chunky (but still textured) for pizza sauce. I then add a small pinch of salt, pepper, garlic powder & oregano..
XL BGE (#2) & Performer Platinum

Former owner: Jambo Backyard, Klose BYC, Lonestar Vertical offset w/ Insulated Firebox, Medium Spicewine, Pitts & Spitts, XL BGE (#1) & (2) Medium BGE's, 22" WSM & (2) 18" WSM's, 18" & 22" Weber Kettles

Last edited by MilitantSquatter; 01-02-2010 at 07:52 PM..
MilitantSquatter is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-06-2009, 01:27 PM   #11
GreasePig
is One Chatty Farker

Here is my favorite. We use this for more a lot more than just pizza.

1 (4-ounce) can tomato paste
1 1/2 cups water
1/3 cup extra-virgin olive oil
2 cloves garlic, minced
Salt and pepper
1/2 tablespoon chopped fresh oregano leaves
1/2 tablespoon chopped fresh basil leaves
1/2 tablespoon chopped fresh rosemary leaves

Mix together the tomato paste, water, and olive oil. Mix well. Add garlic, salt and pepper, to taste, oregano, basil, and rosemary. Mix well and let stand several hours to let flavors blend. No cooking necessary, just spread on dough

Really good pizza sauce! If you like Rosemary you'll like this. Be sure and let it sit in the fridge for a few hours. We make it the day before and let it sit overnight.

Old 11-06-2009, 01:34 PM   #12
LMAJ

I am liking the looks of the not cooked ones - I was wondering how that would work - thanks folks!
1300 Timberline 5/26/17
1 18.5 WSM

Old 11-06-2009, 01:53 PM   #13
BBQchef33
Grand Poobah and Site Admin

Name/Nickname : Phil

Vinnys right with the addition of fresh basil AFTER the pie is cooked. Thats a must in my book. (but i still add some chopped to the sauce). Also some red pepper flakes if the mood calls for it. Whats good about the uncooked sauces is that you can make them in the amount of time it takes to heat the egg and stone.

Vinny.. I was taught that putting the tomatoes in a blender grinds the seeds and could give it a bitter aftertaste. Have u ever noticed and/or compared.? I never used the blender just based on moms words. I put it thru a collander or crush by hand. (or buy them already crushed)

And u folks that add sugar! c'mon.. sweaten it with some shreaded carrot if needed.. or vidalia onion.. not sugar!

CBJ with a Fuzzy Blue Hat, 18 Foot Competition Trailer, Customized Klose BYC, Custom Built Shirley built to feed our Veterans(A.K.A "Abrams"), 1 Double Barreled Lang 84, 1 Heavily Modified Bionic Bandera, 1 Custom Super Medium Stickburning Spicewine w/stoker, 2 XL BGE, 1 Mini BGE, 2 Pit Barrel Cookers, 3 WSMs, 3 Weber Kettles, an NB Hondo, A Modified Brinkman Horizontal, DCS 48" Grill, a Broilmaster P3, a Blackstone 36 and 17, a covered, pellet pooping FEC100, and our duck died. :(

News Flash:
"A mans worth is judged by the weight of his integrity "

You know your getting older when you choose your cereal for the fiber, not the toy

Smoke on KC.
WWW.BBQ-BRETHREN.COM
BBQchef33 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-06-2009, 02:16 PM   #14
IronStomach
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBQchef33 View Post
And u folks that add sugar! c'mon.. sweaten it with some shreaded carrot if needed.. or vidalia onion.. not sugar!
What's wrong with sugar? It's not like it's MSG.

I usually use my canned tomatoes, and if I don't add sugar, I'd have to cook them down for three hours to cut the acidity. No where near enough sugar that you can taste on the tomatoes, but wow on the acidity if it's not there!

EDIT: definitely agree with you on crushing by hand, gives a better presentation anyway and you can easily control how fine or course it is. I doubt a blender's blades would be able to cut the tiny seeds of tomatoes though.

Old 11-06-2009, 02:34 PM   #15
MilitantSquatter

With standard whole peeled canned tomatoes, I agree on the seeds.. I've actually attempted to remove the seeds on a few occasions.

but with the D.O.P. San Marzano, there are actually very few seeds so the blender works perfectly to make a good pizza sauce consistency. They are literally in the blender for 5-8 seconds so I don't think it has time to have any noticeable negative effect.

The San Marzano tomatoes are generally sweeter and less acidic. No need for sugar with them (or any sauce I make).

Phil makes a good point on the red pepper flakes as it relates to the "mood calling for it".. Just becuase we all do something one way most of the time, doesn't mean it has to be all of the time.. A little variation from time to time makes it interesting and fun with a good foundation/base.
XL BGE (#2) & Performer Platinum

Former owner: Jambo Backyard, Klose BYC, Lonestar Vertical offset w/ Insulated Firebox, Medium Spicewine, Pitts & Spitts, XL BGE (#1) & (2) Medium BGE's, 22" WSM & (2) 18" WSM's, 18" & 22" Weber Kettles
MilitantSquatter is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Pizza, Pizza BGE, pizza sauce