MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 04-08-2014, 07:56 AM   #1
kevinc
Knows what a fatty is.

Default Efficiently Use of Charcoal on Kettle

I recently got rid of my defunct gasser and bought a 22" Weber kettle.

I haven't really cooked much on a kettle so I don't know the best way to efficiently use the charcoal. Here is what I've been doing thus far:

• Open the bottom and top vents
  • Remove the top grate
  • Light a chimney full of coals on the bottom grate
  • When flames start licking out the top of the chimney, I pour the coals on the bottom grate in to whatever configuration I need
  • Replace the top grate
  • Wait 5ish more minutes until the coals are ashed over
  • Grill!
  • After I'm through cooking, I just leave the vents open and let everything burn out.

Thus far, I've spent more time getting the coals ready than the food does on the grate. I feel like the last step is a pretty big waste.

Any tips or tricks on how best to manage the grill?

Cheers
kevinc is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-08-2014, 07:58 AM   #2
peeps
somebody shut me the fark up.

Shut the bottom and top vents when the cook is done and save the remaining coals for the next cook by either putting them in the chimney or just dumping your hot coals on them.
- [B][COLOR="darkorange"]Major[/COLOR][/B] - Mini WSM (from SJS)

[B][COLOR="Blue"]Certified IMBAS MOINK Baller![/COLOR][/B] ([URL="http://bit.ly/1lr5cKx"]Certificate of Authenticity[/URL]) / [B][COLOR="Blue"]Join the fun in the [URL="http://bit.ly/1ew3H57"]Throwdowns[/URL]![/COLOR][/B]
peeps is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-08-2014, 07:58 AM   #3
Phubar

Depends what you wanna cook.
If you use quality briqs it would be a waste to let the coals burn out.

All fueled by [COLOR=lime]Ecobrasa[/COLOR] Coco Briquettes

*[URL="http://lowlandsmokers.blogspot.com/2011/06/lowland-smokers-workshop-hei-en-boeicop.html"]Lowland Smokers[/URL] Dutch BBQ Champion 2011 - 2012*
*[URL="http://lowlandsmokers.blogspot.com/2011/06/lowland-smokers-workshop-hei-en-boeicop.html"]Lowland Smokers[/URL] Dutch BBQ Champion 2013 Low 'n Slow
*WGA Ambassador
Phubar is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-08-2014, 08:06 AM   #4
kevinc
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phubar View Post
Depends what you wanna cook.
If you use quality briqs it would be a waste to let the coals burn out.
I'm mostly doing "weeknight" type grilling food that cooks fairly quick. Steaks, chicken breasts, salmon and turkey legs

I've been using Kingsford blue because thats whats on sale and its also what I use for my smoker.

Old 04-08-2014, 08:16 AM   #5
ButtBurner
Babbling Farker

when you are done, close it up

next fire, just pour your new lit stuff over it

as simple as that.

I never throw out unburned coal
Member Great Lakes BBQ Assn
ServSafe Food Handler Certified
[URL]https://www.facebook.com/pages/Michigan-Custom-Que/327994370697180?sk=timeline[/URL]
ButtBurner is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-08-2014, 11:02 AM   #6
CabinFever
On the road to being a farker

What everyone else said. Close it down and use it next time. I just re-light it in place with a propane/map gas torch.
CabinFever is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 04-08-2014, 11:07 AM   #7
raggdoll
Found some matches.

Excellent question. I'm considering a WSM and also wonder about this. Is it even worth it, for all the start and prep hassle just to grill standard BBQ meats. Stuff like that is only on my gasser from 10 to 20 minutes, what am I'm missing here?
raggdoll is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-08-2014, 11:11 AM   #8
ButtBurner
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by raggdoll View Post
Excellent question. I'm considering a WSM and also wonder about this. Is it even worth it, for all the start and prep hassle just to grill standard BBQ meats. Stuff like that is only on my gasser from 10 to 20 minutes, what am I'm missing here?
I would not use a WSM for quick cooks

it takes 10- 15 mins to start my kettle with lump. I would much rather cook on that than gas.

any day
[URL]https://www.facebook.com/pages/Michigan-Custom-Que/327994370697180?sk=timeline[/URL]

Old 04-08-2014, 11:11 AM   #9
peeps

What start and prep hassle?

Loading and lighting a charcoal chimney takes just a few minutes more than walking out and preheating a gasser....if THAT depending on the condition of your gasser

Start the coals before you prep your food and the timing is the same, generally, and the results are better, IMO.
- [B][COLOR="darkorange"]Major[/COLOR][/B] - Mini WSM (from SJS)

[B][COLOR="Blue"]Certified IMBAS MOINK Baller![/COLOR][/B] ([URL="http://bit.ly/1lr5cKx"]Certificate of Authenticity[/URL]) / [B][COLOR="Blue"]Join the fun in the [URL="http://bit.ly/1ew3H57"]Throwdowns[/URL]![/COLOR][/B]
peeps is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-08-2014, 11:18 AM   #10
kevinc
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ButtBurner View Post
when you are done, close it up

next fire, just pour your new lit stuff over it

as simple as that.

I never throw out unburned coal
So do you start with la 3/4 to 1/2 chimney then, depending on how many unburnt coals are leftover?

Old 04-08-2014, 11:18 AM   #11
Bludawg

Experience will tell you how much charcoal to light I have not lit more than a 1/2 a chimney full in years. When I am finished I close everything down next cook place the old stuff in the chimney put new on top & light it up.

Old 04-08-2014, 11:25 AM   #12
ButtBurner
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinc View Post
So do you start with la 3/4 to 1/2 chimney then, depending on how many unburnt coals are leftover?
also depends on what I am cooking and how hot a fire I need

I dont really go by unburnt coals unless there is a lot which there usually isnt

Old 04-08-2014, 11:28 AM   #13
ajstrider
is One Chatty Farker

I started out always lighting a full chimney of coals too. This is hardly necessary except for grilling a lot of burgers, as in more than one or two grill loadouts. Never throw away olf charcoal or burn it out. Just close it all up and put new lit coals on the old ones next time or relight the old. If you are only grilling a few things just bunch up all the charcoal to one side and cook directly over it. You won't need as much charcoal this way. For direct grilling all you care about is the heat right above the fire, who cares how hot the rest of the grill is and you only need a fire big enough to put your food over.

Old 04-08-2014, 11:30 AM   #14
Carbon
is One Chatty Farker

With a charcoal basket you can easily shake clean the ashes and re-use the coals. Pour new lit coals on top.

Old 04-13-2014, 10:24 AM   #15
jeremy hines
Wandering around with a bag of matchlight, looking for a match.

Is that a homemade basket carbon?
jeremy hines is offline   Reply With Quote