MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 01-09-2014, 08:45 AM   #16
Grimm5577
is One Chatty Farker

Pour a bottle of german beer into a pot, add diced onions garlic and butter, let it cook down a bit, add some flour, stir in 2 cans of Campbell's cheddar cheese soup, add some milk or cream. A few shakes of some Worcestershire Sauce Dash of paprika, garlic powder, cumin, salt pepper, pour in 1lb of cooked macaroni and stir. Get a casserole dish, sprinkle some bread crumbs, panko, or crutons on the bottom, pour half the mac and cheese in to the dish, add a layer of grated sharp cheddar and Monterrey jack, maybe some muenster too. pour the rest of the mac and cheese on, layer again with grated cheese, then more bread crumbs, panko, or crutons, another quick dash of paprika for color then bake for like 10min at 350 on the middle shelf, then broil till you get the desired molten bubbly cheese on the top.

It's real good.

Last edited by Grimm5577; 01-09-2014 at 11:01 AM..
Grimm5577 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-09-2014, 09:51 AM   #17
Jake79
Got rid of the matchlight.

I use Famous Dave's recipe that I got off of google. I don't know how to post links but it is easy to find. I have only made it in the oven but I'm sure it would be tasty on the smoker too. It's by far the best Mac recipe I've made.
Jake79 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-09-2014, 09:59 AM   #18
MI Smoke
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake79 View Post
I use Famous Dave's recipe that I got off of google. I don't know how to post links but it is easy to find. I have only made it in the oven but I'm sure it would be tasty on the smoker too. It's by far the best Mac recipe I've made.
This is my favorite also. Takes a little time but is awesome, I could sit and eat a half pan.

Old 01-09-2014, 10:32 AM   #19
fantomlord
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by deguerre View Post
I think it's funny that "Hatch" brand is REALLY pushing the fact that their chiles are gluten free. Well, duh.
--you'd be astounded what wheat/gluten manages to find it's way into. I would almost be surprised if there wasn't a brand of canned chiles with gluten in it for some reason

Old 01-09-2014, 10:32 AM   #20
cpw
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Chad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake79 View Post
Is it this one?
http://www.famousdaves.com/daves-che...-cheese-recipe

sounds pretty good if it is!
Yoder YS640
Savannah, GA
[URL="http://www.facebook.com/yesdearbbq"]Yes, Dear BBQ on Facebook[/URL]
Proudly sponsored by Royal Oak Charcoal and [URL="https://www.atlantabbqstore.com/"]The Atlanta BBQ store[/URL]
cpw is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-09-2014, 10:34 AM   #21
cowgirl
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : jeanie

Paula Deen's isn't too bad. I leave out some of the cheeses if I don't have them on hand. Also.... it's tasty cooked in the smoker.

From the Food Network... http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/p...ipe/index.html
  • 2 cups dried elbow macaroni (4 cups cooked)
  • 1/3 cup grated Cheddar
  • 1/3 cup grated Swiss
  • 1/3 cup grated Jack
  • 1/3 cup grated colby
  • 1/3 cup grated Muenster
  • 1/3 cup grated Gouda
  • 1/2 cup sour cream
  • 4 tablespoons butter, cut into pieces
  • 3 eggs
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon pepper
  • 1 cup milk
  • Nonstick spray
Directions

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
In a large pot, bring water to boil. Season water with salt and cook macaroni until al dente, about 10 minutes. Drain pasta and place in a large bowl and while pasta is still hot add all the cheese. In a separate medium bowl, using a whisk, combine the sour cream, butter, eggs, salt, pepper, and milk and add to the macaroni mixture. Spray casserole dish with nonstick and pour macaroni mixture into the dish. Bake for 30 to 45 minutes or until golden brown. Top with additional cheese, if desired

http://cowgirlscountry.blogspot.com/
cowgirl is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-09-2014, 11:20 AM   #22
Grange
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpw View Post
Is it this one?

Looks tasty. I like corn in Mac and Cheese. It gives a good texture and taste to me.
Grange is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-09-2014, 11:37 AM   #23
Jake79
Got rid of the matchlight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpw View Post
Is it this one?

Yes that's it.... Lots of ingredients but it's good
Jake79 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-09-2014, 12:30 PM   #24
landarc
somebody shut me the fark up.

I don't use a real recipe, but, will wing it here for you. The basics will be correct, but, measurements may be off a bit.

To start, I use medium, elbow macaroni, or cavatapi, or small shells. I prefer the elbo macaroni with ridges on the outside. Cook them until just al dente. They will soften when in the sauce and get super mushy if you cook them until soft. Drain and reserve. They must be drained and dry before adding to cheese sauce.

Make cheese sauce:
1. Start with 4 tablespoons of fat (bacon fat, lard, grapeseed oil, olive oil) and add 4 tablespoons of AP flour. This is a basic American roux, you just need about equal parts of fat and flour by weight. Cook until flour is thickened, add in 2 cups of whole milk, stir into a sauce. It will seem thin, no worries. Add in 1 pound of grated cheese. I use equal parts of cheddar for flavor, parmesan or grana padano for salt and umami, and either jack cheese, emmenthaler or similar melting cheese for smoothness. Stir until smoothly melted. Adjust seasoning, mostly for pepper. If you need to add salt, you should reconsider your sodium intake.

Combine macaroni and cheese sauce, making sure everything is coated. Place in baking dish, leaving about 1/2" from top. Sprinkle bread crumbs over top and bake, or cook in BBQ for 1 hour. Somewhere around 300F will do the trick.

Getting fancy...
Add 1/2 cup finely chopped onions and 1 teaspoon minced garlic with the flour while making the roux.

Add 1/8 to 1/4 cup finely chopped jalapenos (seeded, as I don't like the seeds in the dish), along with onions and garlic while making the roux.

Add 1/4 cup sherry to the sauce, just before adding the cheese

Yelonutz: me either, but, then again, I don't drink any less
[/SIZE][/COLOR][/COLOR][SIZE=1][COLOR=DarkRed]
[COLOR=Pink]SSS[/COLOR]
[/COLOR][/SIZE]
landarc is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 01-09-2014, 01:42 PM   #25
bander7003
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by deguerre View Post
I think it's funny that "Hatch" brand is REALLY pushing the fact that their chiles are gluten free. Well, duh.
I think this is a recent thing. Last weekend I was at the grocery store to get a can of Hatch's. Some cans said "gluten free" and some didn't say that. I stood there for several minutes trying to figure out why gluten would even be in a can of Hatch's.

Klose 24x50 BYC
Backwoods Fatboy
Weber Kettle
[COLOR=blue]Rock Chalk Jayhawk Blue[/COLOR][COLOR=black] Thermapen[/COLOR]
Weber Gasser (out of gas)
bander7003 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-09-2014, 02:02 PM   #26
MS2SB
is One Chatty Farker

Here's a link to a recipe that I really enjoy.
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...light=macaroni
[B]Original Noobian Warlord
[/B]Loser of Known Space
MS2SB is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-09-2014, 03:52 PM   #27
dsing26
Knows what a fatty is.

I will throw in my Mac recipe:

Ingredients

• 1 head of garlic, roasted
    • 1 teaspoon olive oil
    • 1 pound Cavatappi pasta
    • 1/2 pound sliced Applewood smoked bacon
    • 1 1/2 cups fresh white bread crumbs (5 slices, crusts removed)
    • 1/2 cup grated Parmigiano Reggiano cheese
    • 8 tablespoons butter
    • 1/4 cup minced shallots
    • 1/2 cup flour
    • 1 quart whole milk
    • 6 ounces Gruyere cheese, grated
    • 8 ounces extra-sharp Cheddar cheese, grated
    • 1/2 teaspoon pepper
    • 1 teaspoon salt
    • 1/4 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg

Instructions

1. Preheat oven to 350°.
    2. To roast garlic: Slice 1/2 inch off the top of the entire head of garlic. Drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Wrap garlic head tightly in a square of heavy foil and roast until tender - about 45 minutes. Remove garlic pulp by squeezing garlic head. Smash cloves with a fork to form a paste.
    3. Cook pasta according to package directions.
    4. Cook bacon completely. Drain on paper towels. Reserve 1 tablespoon of bacon fat. Crumble bacon when cool.
    5. To make topping: Combine breadcrumbs, crumbled bacon, Parmigiano Reggiano cheese, and 2 tablespoons of melted butter. Set aside.
    6. Preheat oven to 375°.
    7. Sauté shallots over low heat in reserved bacon fat for one minute. Add remaining 6 tablespoons of butter and continue to sauté shallots in butter and bacon fat until translucent.
    8. Add flour and continue to cook for 1-2 minutes. Increase heat to medium. Stirring constantly with a whisk, add milk and roasted garlic paste.
    9. Cook until sauce is thickened (coats the back of a spoon). Remove sauce from heat then add salt, pepper, nutmeg, Gruyere and Cheddar cheeses. Taste and adjust salt and pepper if necessary.
    10. Stir in cooked pasta. Pour into baking dish. Sprinkle topping to cover entire top. Cover with foil and bake 15 minutes. Remove foil and continue baking until sauce is bubbly and topping is browned.
dsing26 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-09-2014, 04:05 PM   #28
Bluesman
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Jon

Just made this last week.......cheers....... Use the cooker instead of an oven.....

Mac and Cheese

Mic's Macaroni and Cheese

7 cups water
1 lb. uncooked mac elbows
1 tbs salt
1 stick butter
1 12oz can evaporated milk
3 eggs
1 lb Velveeta cheese, cubed
10-12 oz sliced block sharp cheddar cheese
Paprika

Bring water, butter, and salt to a boil. Add elbows and boil for 8-10 minutes. Remove from heat. DO NOT DRAIN. Add cubed Velveeta cheese and mix well until cheese has melted and blended thoroughly. Allow to cool somewhat. Beat 3 eggs well and add evaporated milk to eggs. Stir to blend and add to mac. Blend well and allow to cool some more. Pour mac and cheese into a 9x13 buttered baking dish or disposable aluminum half pan. Cover with sliced sharp cheddar and sprinkle with Paprika. Place dish in 375* oven for approx. 45 mins. or until bubbly and golden brown. Allow to rest about 20 mins. before serving.
2010 Brick Red Touch n' Go Performer
Kitchen stove
Bluesman is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-10-2014, 01:02 AM   #29
ncBBQtx
Knows what a fatty is.

Corn in Mac'n cheese? That's crazy talk!
ncBBQtx is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-10-2014, 02:58 AM   #30
seattlepitboss
is one Smokin' Farker

This one is simply outstanding! Enjoy - seattlepitboss

http://www.thesmokering.com/forum/vi...=13998&start=0
seattlepitboss is offline   Reply With Quote