• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Duck!!!!! ,,, No Really Duck on the UDS!! Beer Can Style

OcalaScott

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
Well, I like duck, but I have only tried to cook it one time. It ended in disaster. But today, I tried again using my fancy UDS. It worked!!

Started by dusting with poultry seasoning mix and stood it up on the beer can chicken holder.

DSCF6079.jpg

Got the UDS going and sat it on,

DSCF6081.jpg

Here it is after 2 hours, been holding stable at 225 degrees.

DSCF6083.jpg

Off the UDS at 5 hours, kept the temp at 225 for the first 3 hours then upped it to 300 for the final 2 hours. Internal temp 164 in the breast.

DSCF6087.jpg

Cut, slice and serve,

DSCF6089.jpg

The breast meat, I wish the flash would not have washed out the color, there was a Beautiful smoke ring! You can see the layer of fat still remaining under the skin.

DSCF6090.jpg

My plate with Wild Rice and Sweet Potatoes, before the sauce

DSCF6092.jpg

With the sauce

DSCF6093.jpg

Was it good? Yes, very moist and tender, it was wonderful, I will make it again doing the low and slow method. The only thing I didn't like was the skin. It was very soft and still had a lot of fat under it. We just seperated it and the meat underneath was fantastic.

My daughters friend on the left and my son on the right, this was their first taste of duck. They both liked it. I did too, more importantly, the boss, my lovely wife liked it too.

DSCF6094.jpg

Scott

Last edited:
The UDS can do some amazing things with birds, of any type.. and it did again. Well done looks tasty!! Maybe I'll go duck hunting now..

I'm interested in smoking a duck too. Did you pierce the skin to encourage the fat rendering out?

Very nice job.. looks great. What kind of sauce did you make? Also I would have taken the fat and rendered it down and save it.

Last edited:
I'm interested in smoking a duck too. Did you pierce the skin to encourage the fat rendering out?

I took the knife and put one slice in each breast, just thru the skin and not into the meat. The fat didn't really render. I only had about 3 TBS of fat in the drip pan. Maybe the temp was to low to render it. The meat wasn't greasy or dry, it was very good.

Scott

I love duck and have had it many different ways. That is by far the best looking duck I have ever seen. Did you use beer or did you just use the holder to keep it up right?

I love duck and have had it many different ways. That is by far the best looking duck I have ever seen. Did you use beer or did you just use the holder to keep it up right?

It was really good, at least we thought so. I was worried for the last few hours because the fat was not rendering like some said it would.

I just used the holder. I wanted the fat to run out and down to the drip pan. I didn't use beer, I don't buy beer, I make my own and keg it so I just used a pop can with water and a TBS of the poultry seasoning dumped into/onto it. I have used beer many times for chicken and turkey and honestly, I don't think it made a difference. I think the seasoning is more important.

Scott

Very nice job.. looks great. What kind of sauce did you make? Also I would have taken the fat and rendered it down and save it.

Hahahaha, the sauce was stuffed up the A$$ of the duck, so I really can't answer that one. It was an orange sauce with A LOT of sugar, I mean A LOT!!! It was OK, but only need a little on the meat, not like I did and pour it on.

I was going to make an orange sauce since I have these ready and today was in the 60's, I should have picked them

DSCF6084.jpg

As far as the fat, I only had a few TBS of fat. I thought about that and that is a good idea. I wanted to fry up some potatoes with the duck fat but didn't really have enough.

I Par-B-Q (partially BBQ) my quackers. Smoke them low & slow to about 100 F internal, then finish in the oven at 350 - 375 F to crisp the skin. Try that next time and you will love duck skin.

Great looking duck Scott! I've not tried one on my drum yet, looks and sounds promising. Thanks for the post! :-D

WOW! great photos and a good looking bird too. I don't know if this is sacrilege but how about taking it out 5-10 degrees before you hit the target temp and placing it in the oven at 450 to crisp up the skin?

Back