MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Catering, Food Handling and Awareness

Notices

Catering, Food Handling and Awareness *OnTopic* Forum to educate us on safe food handling. Not specifically for Catering or competition but overall health and keeping our families safe too.

Old 10-05-2010, 08:00 AM   #1
monty3777
is One Chatty Farker

Default charitable catering

Our team has been providing BBQ for a homeless shelter and a local church has decided to house a weekly feeding program. We are joining with them to provide food on a regular basis and so far the turn out has been incredible. We average 150 per meal.

We are having an organizational meeting tonight to hammer out some details and it occurs to me that I may need some help anticipating some of the things that will go into planning this for the long haul.

I am planning on eventually buying a HD approved trailer, perhaps after the beginning of 2011. Right now we will be using the church kitchen. The trailer will allow us to go where the people are if we decide to expand the program (and I know we will).

Are there any other obvious pieces that I may be missing?

I appreciate your help. Like I said, we have been doing this informally for a while. However, I have come to realize by reading through posts on this forum that I often miss some important details.

Old 10-05-2010, 08:25 AM   #2
monty3777
is One Chatty Farker

Maybe it would help if I were more specific. Should we get our own insurance or let the church policy cover us? Also, are there any meat suppliers that you know of who may be willing to give deep discounts to a charitable organization?

Old 10-05-2010, 09:16 AM   #3
PorkQPine
Full Fledged Farker

Get your own insurance, this will open up catering opportunities as well as providing you with security since you are not employees of the church nor do you know anything about their insurance. Get your ServSafe. I have done a lot of charity cooking and can tell you that the church has a better chance of getting deep discounts if at all.

Thanks from:--->
Old 10-05-2010, 06:46 PM   #4
HBMTN
is Blowin Smoke!

Being that it is all charity perhaps there is an insurance agencies around that will provide you a policy of coverage and call it sponsorship for the program.

Old 10-06-2010, 08:07 AM   #5
Ford
is Blowin Smoke!

If you are the cook you are personally liable so getting insurance is critical even if all you do is cook the meat for them. Just like any other place an employee can be sued.

Old 10-06-2010, 10:03 AM   #6
monty3777
is One Chatty Farker

Thanks, Ford. I have a call in to my insurance agent right now.