Temp Probe Mod

R

rbinms33

Well fellas....I was reading another thread about somebody's experience with the door thermometer and how it's inaccurate and it got me to thinking about my own inaccurate door thermometer that is now half full of water so I went and bought some parts for a mod whilst walking through Lowe's plumbing section.

I bought a 1/2" Dia. x 1-1/2" L pipe nipple fully threaded. I also bought 2 1/2" end caps. I'm going to drill a 3/8 (or bigger) hole in each end cap. I've still got some 1/2" Dia insulating rope that Phil sent me. I'm going to cram that insulating rope into the pipe nipple, compressing it so it's a snug fit. Then stick the pipe nipple through the old door thermometer hole with an end cap screwed on each side tight enough so nothing moves. I should be able to stick a regular Nu Temp probe through the insulating rope without having the probe touch any other metal ruling out the possibility of metal to metal heat transfer.

I'm cooking two shoulder and a three pack of BB's from Sam's tomorrow so I'll let you know how it turns out.

God, that sounds like you have become a bandera proctologist.

R

Glad you said that rust, cuz Ive been biting the tounge on the threaded nipple comments for days.

Ouch that must hurt.

Glad to see you're biting the tounge Bill. Good progress. Congratulations

Back