MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 07-21-2009, 09:48 PM   #1
Kubbie
Knows what a fatty is.

Default Can I wait to pull pork?

I put a few shoulders on the UDS tonight for an over-nighter.

Not knowing exactly when they will be done in the morning, if I have to leave for work before I have time to pull them apart, can they wait in a cooler until I get back? (Or should I refrigerate them whole and then pull?)

Hopefully they're done 5:00ish, but just in case they go slow, would like to know what my options are...

Help?
Kubbie is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-21-2009, 09:52 PM   #2
Skidder
Babbling Farker

I would refridge them. Cooler might not keep them at a safe temp for the whole day. I have fridged them then slightly reheated to make them pull easier. It is possible to pull cold though.
Skidder is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-22-2009, 05:10 AM   #3
cheez59
Quintessential Chatty Farker

A couple years ago I put 25 butts in a big cooler that were cooked to 145-160. Left them in there for nearly 12 hours. When we pulled them they were falling apart tender. Memorial day weekend this year I put 14 butts in a cooler that were cooked to 170-180 and left them for 8 hours. When we pulled them I probed several with my thermapen and they all were right around 140 internal. I don't know what the "rules" are but these two cooks worked for me and all of the meat was eaten by some happy folks.
Lone Star Grillz mini insulated cabinet.Lonestar Grillz 20x42 offset. Broil King Baron Gasser, Vortex and Slow & Sear Plus, Weber 26" Original Premium, Weber Smoky Joe, Cajun Fryer 8-1/2 & 4 Gallon, The Big Easy oil-less fryer, BBQ Guru CyberQ Cloud, BBQ Guru DigiQ DX2, Thermoworks Smoke, Maverick XR-50
cheez59 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-22-2009, 05:17 AM   #4
Skidder
Babbling Farker

I would agree with the last post but I would rather stay on the safe side. What was said was internal temp. was 140 degrees but who knows what the surface temp was. And 140 is the min. temp to keep food safe at. Health dept. says 40 or below and 140 or above. Your call.
Skidder is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-22-2009, 05:19 AM   #5
PIT BOSS
On the road to being a farker

I know many guys that wrap them in foil and then towels and cooler them for hours. I don't think you should have any problems
PIT BOSS is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-22-2009, 07:26 AM   #6
Kubbie
Knows what a fatty is.

Pulled off the smoker at 3:30, rested till about 6:00 am.

Got the mother-in-law to come over, she's pulling them now..!

I gotta get get, so no time to post a pic, but thanks for the responses.
Kubbie is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-22-2009, 07:41 AM   #7
early mornin' smokin'
is One Chatty Farker

if you had a cambro, and it was stuffed, you would be fine.

Old 07-22-2009, 10:02 AM   #8
seattlepitboss
is one Smokin' Farker

Last week I smoked two whole chuck rolls each cut into quarters, plus seven six pound pork butts. As each came off the smoker it went into a foil tub and was loosely tented with foil and let completely cool. Then I crimped the foil tightly and refrigerated them. The next day they went way across town to a kitchen where I met two friends and we put the meat in a 300F oven for about an hour to warm it. Then we took some out and started pulling, and shut the oven off and let the rest coast. It pulls much easier when warm.

This method worked great, and I would do it again.

seattlepitboss
seattlepitboss is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-22-2009, 10:29 AM   #9
warren
Full Fledged Farker

when i did mine i had to sleep in my living room because it was raining and i had it in the garage and right after it was done i pulled it out and covered it for a hour then pulled it i could tear the bone out of it with two fingers
warren is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-22-2009, 12:50 PM   #10
BBQchef33
Grand Poobah and Site Admin

Name/Nickname : Phil

they will hold in a good cooler for up to 12 hours. just take up the dead airspace with towels or newspapers.

preheating the cooler with boiling water also extends the time.

CBJ with a Fuzzy Blue Hat, 18 Foot Competition Trailer, Customized Klose BYC, Custom Built Shirley built to feed our Veterans(A.K.A "Abrams"), 1 Double Barreled Lang 84, 1 Heavily Modified Bionic Bandera, 1 Custom Super Medium Stickburning Spicewine w/stoker, 2 XL BGE, 1 Mini BGE, 2 Pit Barrel Cookers, 3 WSMs, 3 Weber Kettles, an NB Hondo, A Modified Brinkman Horizontal, DCS 48" Grill, a Broilmaster P3, a Blackstone 36 and 17, a covered, pellet pooping FEC100, and our duck died. :(

News Flash:
"A mans worth is judged by the weight of his integrity "

You know your getting older when you choose your cereal for the fiber, not the toy

Smoke on KC.
WWW.BBQ-BRETHREN.COM
BBQchef33 is offline   Reply With Quote