Flattening out a warped drum lid

raiderx

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
Anyone have any tips on fixing a warped drum lid? I was burning off the paint on the lid last night and now it looks a little like a pringles chip. I figure if I really need to, I can brace it straight by screwing some angle iron across the top, but I'd rather just find a way to flatten it out.

The bottom of my drum warped when I burned it out. Luckily it warped upward into the drum so the dome shape kinda acts as a grease diverter and channels all the grease towards the drum wall. I tried everything and it would not flatten out. It would basically just bulge downward when I pressed against it. Can you just score a new lid maybe?

Maybe you could use the lid off that thing in your avatar...or maybe that would make the food smell/taste funny!

Well, everything works out - got another lid from the same place for two bucks.

I actually do have a Weber 22 lid - found a discarded One-Touch silver around the corner while walking the dog last week. The bottom is rusty, but the lid is fine. Just wanted to have the flat lid for smaller batches.

The dog walk thing is sort-of crazy as that's exactly how I found my Weber lid! So needless to say I wasn't afraid of bending the rim to fit my drum.
You better get that thing done for Sunday.

norcoredneck - I'll try that. I wouldn't mind having a spare lid to experiment with.

As far as the Weber goes, since I have the whole kettle, I'm going to grind off the top edge of the bowl to use as a collar insert for the drum and leave the lid as-is.

We'll see if this is ready to use by Sunday. I'm hating these short days. No daylight to do stuff after work.

Where did you get your drum? Most refurb places have spares that can be bought cheap.

Back