MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 09-10-2008, 10:18 PM   #46
Ron_L

Name/Nickname : Captain Ron

Quote:
Originally Posted by agentmichael View Post
say ron will you repost it please, only thing comes up when you click on the link is a post about posting links

TIA
Sorry... i was doing to many things at once. This should be better...

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...3&postcount=11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camille Eonich View Post
The search function doesn't work if you aren't a subscriber.
Camille... You can always use Google to search this site by including site:www.bbq-brethren.com in your search.

Naked Fatties Rock!

PKGo X 2/PK360/Weber Q1000/Blackstone Camping Griddle/Pit Boss Pro Series 850
Ron_L is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-10-2008, 10:30 PM   #47
Divemaster
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by barbefunkoramaque View Post
Experimentation is also about isolating events for a controlled outcome. When one event leads to a certain success you then add the next event to see how it changes the outcome.

Now what I am about to say does not mean I think my way is best.

There is no offense taken. You are a gentleman! Like I said I smoke 10-15 a week 100-150 lbs (of course I do ribs, butts and other stuff) in the peak periods between Labor Day and Thanksgiving. I have no idea how much that has been over the last 10 years or so... but I have seen a lot of bad briskets that some people (even in contests - remember I am stuck here now in Connecticut) have thought were good that accentuate TASTE above texture because they did not have a TEMPLATE in their mind. I have seen some of these guys swear up and down (whilst holding their assorted trophies and ribbons from cook offs) that their brisket is best and you sit them down and give them a elgin, tayor, mueller, smitty, kreuz, angelos, railhead, style brisket and they just sit there with their mouth open. I have seen them get mad when someone like Vencil or Smitty tells them... salt pepper and 6-8 hours. They just don't believe them.

So... like I said before I am quite aware of how to smoke but popping one in the oven, esp a flat, and always remembering that texture and how little you fiddled with it will start you off on the right track. As far as the boiling... Until the Health Progressives took over at the turn of the century, most briskets were done trail hands style and actually simmered in a dutch oven before smoking on a ground pit. It took the briskets roughly the same time as ribs. Trailhands and the Germans like it hot and fast. Jetton's real recipe differs from his 1967 book though.

However... on the smoke side two absolute truths mentioned here
1. you can make a stunning brisket with salt and pepper if you do it right 2. AND start checking at 180. Don't pull at 180 but start checking for that butter like feel from the probe. The BRISKET can be done at 185, 190, 205... depends. Before 180.... forget its even there.
While I agree that "Experimentation is also about isolating events for a controlled outcome." I also disagree that you need to take a step backwards before you start.

I have no doubt that you, like I have seen more than your fair share of briskets that you didn't enjoy, there is nothing wrong with starting on a WSM rather than the oven. I personally don't feel that there is a 'right of passage' to cooking a brisket (Shane, you are disqualified from this statement, you need to go back to having your son Wyatt teach you, again.) I see nothing wrong with doing your first brisket over charcoal and wood and using that as your starting point.

To Hydra,

I thought of a couple of other points... Remember that with the WSM, you don't need a ton of wood, you are looking for the sweet blue and not a ton of white smoke... Do yourself a favor and keep a log of the cook. This is not something to give up on. I've lost track of how many tons (literally) of brisket that I've cooked for both NASCAR and other customers as well as my family and I still keep notes. Why? Because like many of us, I'm never completly satisfied with my outcome and if ever I am, I want to remember what I did... This last item I cannot stress enough, have fun and don't sweat it... You'll do fine and if you have any questions you have over 5,500 brothers and sisters both waiting and wanting to help you out.
Race Fast, Cook Slow, and Enjoy Life!
If it don't come off a smoker, it's just a side dish!

Lang 60 Patio (The Mistress), Black Stainless Lang 36 (Little Princess), Large BGE (Ramona), Big Green UDS (Cottage Cooker), Brinkman SnP Pro (Little Bubba-Retired), 8 Burner Gasser, 3 - 22.5" & 1 - 18" (circa 1975) Weber Grills, & a Weber Smoky Joe.
Divemaster is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-10-2008, 10:41 PM   #48
K I N G P I N
Full Fledged Farker

I have to tell you guys. I make my brisket on a regular basis in the oven. The European way, bake it in a casserole dish, covered in fresh onions, bay leaf and a good beef base. Cook till tender, strain onions and make a gravy out of the juice. Everyone loves it. Usually have mashed potatoes and green bean casserole with it. A great winter dinner, especially if you are working outdoors all day in the winter. A real comfort food. I have failed at smoked brisket. Too much time, but am going to try to do it real soon.

KP

WEBER SMOKEY MOUNTAIN
WEBER PERFORMER
FOUR SEASONS GASSER
Yellow thermapen
AKA-Crusty DippinTush

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...pinsgasser.jpg
K I N G P I N is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-10-2008, 11:40 PM   #49
barbefunkoramaque
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Divemaster View Post
While I agree that "Experimentation is also about isolating events for a controlled outcome." I also disagree that you need to take a step backwards before you start.
THIS IS GOOD NATURED RIBBING BUT I COULD NOT RESIST.

Sounds like you and I have smoked a lot of beef but... if you are making brisket and have reached the point where you are measuring by the ton... LOL... and you still a'int perfected it yet... Might I suggest you step back and do one in the oven. :r azz:

Hell yeah I knew when I said it he'd probably not do it that way. But look at all the stuff thats been said in here so far... do this, do that... not to mention what he read. LOL

I think my point was... if he had never done one... then logically, it would not be stepping back as you say to do it in the oven.

It would be a step back if you HAD smoked one. So in essence I am saving a step. I usually advise this when someone who thought they knew how to make a brisket (pride is one of those seven deadly) has my brisket or one of the ones I mentioned earlier and they invariably ask me to teach them how. I say start with a flat, foil and salt and pepper and the oven and when your done... your going to try to duplicate what you feel in your mouth on a smoker. I swear friend I am not saying its the only way to do your first brisket. LOL

U and me need to sit and eat together. You bring the Big Red soda though. Then argue about clod.

Old 09-11-2008, 08:40 AM   #50
Dick Danger
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Too late to add my two cents? Hope not.

I pour some olive on it, rub with salt, freshly cracked pepper, and a little bit of freshly crushed garlic. Then I set my UDS to 300 and 6-1/2-7ish hours later we're eating brisket.
Dick Danger is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-11-2008, 10:04 AM   #51
txschutte
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Danger View Post

I pour some olive on it, rub with salt, freshly cracked pepper, and a little bit of freshly crushed garlic. Then I set my UDS to 300 and 6-1/2-7ish hours later we're eating brisket.
Brilliantsimplicity. Only thing I would add is the probe test. When it slides in like butter, it's ready. Let it rest in a cooler for a bit. Then, you're golden.

If you really care about this place, you'll show some respect for it.

Your beard is so stupid, it took two hours to watch 60 Minutes.
txschutte is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-11-2008, 10:28 AM   #52
Divemaster

I know you couldn't resist, and neither can I....

Quote:
THIS IS GOOD NATURED RIBBING BUT I COULD NOT RESIST.

Sounds like you and I have smoked a lot of beef but... if you are making brisket and have reached the point where you are measuring by the ton... LOL... and you still a'int perfected it yet... Might I suggest you step back and do one in the oven. :r azz:
If you have managed to recreate the ultimate brisket, every time, I do need to come out and try it. My problem is that while I come close on a regular basis, there is always something I'm looking to improve upon... Most of the time it has to do with the quality of the meat (believe it or not there are times that I get stuck with 'Prime' when I would rather work with 'Choice')

Quote:
Hell yeah I knew when I said it he'd probably not do it that way. But look at all the stuff thats been said in here so far... do this, do that... not to mention what he read. LOL

I think my point was... if he had never done one... then logically, it would not be stepping back as you say to do it in the oven.

It would be a step back if you HAD smoked one.
I guess one of the things that got to me was the fact that he had requested information on smoking the brisket, not baking it.

Quote:
It would be a step back if you HAD smoked one. So in essence I am saving a step. I usually advise this when someone who thought they knew how to make a brisket (pride is one of those seven deadly) has my brisket or one of the ones I mentioned earlier and they invariably ask me to teach them how. I say start with a flat, foil and salt and pepper and the oven and when your done... your going to try to duplicate what you feel in your mouth on a smoker. I swear friend I am not saying its the only way to do your first brisket. LOL
I agree that there is more than one way to make a brisket. That is evident based on all of the other posts not only in this thread, but this site in general. What I was trying to convey was that he asked for help in smoking a brisket, why tell him that he should start in an oven? Let's give him the basic instructions to smoking the piece of meat.

Quote:
U and me need to sit and eat together. You bring the Big Red soda though. Then argue about clod.
To hell with the soda, I'll bring the beer, you bring the Jack.

I actually enjoy discussing how best to start people down the road to our addiction. You can ask my friends and family, if the question is asked, it's tough for me not to try and help them out. The only thing that I ALWAYS remind them is that once they start down this road, there is no 12 step program to get them out.

Lang 60 Patio (The Mistress), Black Stainless Lang 36 (Little Princess), Large BGE (Ramona), Big Green UDS (Cottage Cooker), Brinkman SnP Pro (Little Bubba-Retired), 8 Burner Gasser, 3 - 22.5" & 1 - 18" (circa 1975) Weber Grills, & a Weber Smoky Joe.

Old 09-11-2008, 10:29 AM   #53
kickassbbq
is One Chatty Farker

Brisket? What's a Brisket?
PARTY!!!!!!

Old 09-11-2008, 10:35 AM   #54
JD McGee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Danger View Post

Next time you do one using this method please post pics...I'd like to see how it looks at that temp. What size brisket do you usually do? Straight smoke over coals, drip pan, foil...??? Need input please!
JD McGee is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-11-2008, 10:39 AM   #55
JD McGee

Quote:
Originally Posted by kickassbbq View Post
Brisket? What's a Brisket?
PARTY!!!!!!
THIS...is a brisket...

Old 09-11-2008, 10:59 AM   #56
Divemaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD McGee View Post
THIS...is a brisket...
Thank you for clearing that up....

Old 09-11-2008, 12:54 PM   #57
barbefunkoramaque
Babbling Farker

You know... Jeff, lets all stop posting and meet back here the next time someone asks... once this post falls of the 1st page it will be minutes.

Typical subject lines

Whats the best way to do a brisket?
Brisket Question?
Proper Temp for a brisket
Fat up or down (I vote the fat should be separated entirely and suspended precisely 7 inches from the top. )

I think I will suggest deep frying it next time.

Old 09-11-2008, 01:01 PM   #58
Bigmista

Mmmmm...deep fried brisket! Can we put it in beer batter?

Rec Tec RT-700 Bull
Pitmaker Vault

Remembering Scott
Bigmista is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-11-2008, 01:07 PM   #59
JD McGee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Divemaster View Post
Thank you for clearing that up....
My pleasure...

Quote:
You know... Jeff, lets all stop posting and meet back here the next time someone asks... once this post falls of the 1st page it will be minutes.

Typical subject lines

Brisket Question?
Fat up or down (I vote the fat should be separated entirely and suspended precisely 7 inches from the top. )

So long as there is brisket...there will be brisket questions...good luck with the deep fry!

Old 09-11-2008, 01:10 PM   #60
Divemaster

Quote:

Typical subject lines

Brisket Question?

I agree with one exception... it should be 6 7/8 inches above and what kind of oil are you going to use?