Mike Mills uses green apple wood?

ZBQ

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
Here's another Foodnetwork show question. I was wondering if anyone saw this and was wondering what to make of it.

I was watching a show yesterday (Can't recall which one) and they had Mike Mills at a some huge Q-Festival in New York City. He was giving them some tips and on one of them I had to do a double take.

He said to use GREEN apple wood, not dry and seasoned.

FRESH CUT.

He said when it's green it smolders and smokes but doesn't when it's dry.

Then they showed him throwing a apple log in the fire box that still had FRESH GREEN LEAVES on a twig!

(He said it was cut from his personal apple tree and my BS meter red lined!:lol:)

I kinda thought of the cover of his book Peace Love and BBQ where it says "Secrets, Tall Tales and Outright Lies":lol:

But, I saw them throw that log in there that still had leaves on it.

So what do I know?:confused:

Anyone else see this and what do you think of it?

When it first aired, this came up. I think it comes down to his cooker. He has a fairly hot fire which in theory burns the green wood with different results than in a small offset.

Maybe tossing that log in was just for show.????

I think Thillin probably hit the nail on the head. Myron Mixon uses green peach wood. The first time I saw him fire up a smoker I was in shock. It was billowing white smoke for an hour. After he got it up to temp though it cleared up. He runs a super hot fire and the green wood burns quick and clean.

It must be something with the fire and the pit. I'm agreeing with you guys, but Myron Mixon ( hot & fast ) and Mike Mills ( low & slow ) are cooking completely different. So it must be the pit and fire. Could it be Mike Mills uses less green wood during a cook than he would dried wood??

When it first aired, this came up. I think it comes down to his cooker. He has a fairly hot fire which in theory burns the green wood with different results than in a small offset.

Bingo!!

I bet Mike Mills is a great guy, his book is a good read. As for green wood, whatever works.

Last edited by a moderator:
I wouldn't want to try that with green hickory or some other strong flavored wood.

Fruit woods are milder to begin with. I have thrown in a little green cherry with good results and I need to capitalize and bold the word LITTLE.

Funny - good timing

Was just talking with a buddy who has 1300 acres down in S. Georgia, about getting my hands on some apple wood.

He has some, will cut me some, and told me to burn it green.

I wonder if he saw the flames coming off my smoker memorial day, for it's first official 'burn in'? :mrgreen:

The price will be right on this one, SmokeyPig, I guess I'll have to share some wid ya...

Smokey Piglet...

Back