All Comp Meat in One Spicewine

B

barbedQ

I just bought one of Mr Smoker's Spicewines which has 4 racks and I have a rookie upright smoker question.

I've always used my NB offsets at competitions so I've never had any reason to place one meat type over another. If I try to cook all 4 meats on the Spicewine is it just a matter of arranging the meat so the pork drips on the pork and the chicken doesn't drip on anything. Or am I better off continuing to bring the WSM for the chicken and just putting the ribs over the butts and the briskets over each other?

I don't want to kill anyone mixing drippings and I'm hoping to not have to ruin meat trying to figure this all out.

Congrats on purchase. Chicken on bottom, but i would bring something else to cook it on . Better with different temps.

Put everything in aluminum pans. No mess, no drippings and wonderful juices!!
It may not be the way to do it. It's just the way I do it.
By the by. A professional caterer was at my last BBQ class and he learned about the pans. He went to a comp last weekend and walked with a 1st in Brisket using those pans. He had NEVER placed in Brisket before.
PARTY!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Smoke On!!!!!

I have one medium with 5 racks and I have plenty of room at a contest. You can get just as much accomplished with only 4 racks. (I've gotten 26 pork shoulders in the Medium at one time with all five racks being used to every sq. inch of free space)....

Here's how I do it...

In the evening I put one brisket and one butt each on the 2nd and 3rd (from the top) shelves putting the butts over butts and brisket over brisket.

In the morning, I add usually 6 racks of ribs on the 4th and part of the 5th shelves. (could put all 6 on 4th if I used a rib rack).

Soon enough, by the time chicken is getting ready to go on, usually all or some of the briskets & butts are already foiled &/or ready to come off to be coolered. Usually I can consolidate a brisket or butt to the other shelf too if I want.

I put the chicken on the bottom shelf to start so no raw drippings. As I move on, all of the butts & briskets are off, the ribs get wrapped, at that point, I can if desired,I can move ribs up the 2nd & 3rd position. Later on, I can move the chicken to the top rack if and when I need to get it to a hotter heat zone for the skin or just to speed up the cook based on timing. For me, I've found the top and rear areas to run hotter than lower and toward the front. Knowing this, I like it ver much as it allows me to not require separate cookers for different cook temps.

Never a problem, just a little shuffling and coordination.

Last edited:
Hey Barbed Q, GREAT question being that I am set to adopt the other spice twin.....

I was planning to cook everythoing but the chicken in it. Based on timing, I am not concerned about the other items.

EDIT: Just read Vinny's post - sounds like great advice.

By the by. A professional caterer was at my last BBQ class and he learned about the pans. He went to a comp last weekend and walked with a 1st in Brisket using those pans. He had NEVER placed in Brisket before.
PARTY!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Smoke On!!!!!
I thought I was the only one with a foil fetish...:icon_shy

Thanks for the advice on this. I typically wrap when I remove the meat, except for ribs which I wrap for about an hour before uncovering for the finish.

I'll have to invest in some pans if I go that route. Last time I used the "house" pans it wasn't pretty.

We're off to Maui tomorrow so I won't be able to try the suggestions until the weekend of the 2nd of Nov.

I'll make sure I post some pics.

BarbedQ and G$ you are asking the right people,this is where i learned everything i know,the Brethren will not steer you wrong. The advanced search is good also. You should have a BBQ Brethren Hat & Banner for luck also. BTW I may come and do a surprise inspection of them Smokers. :wink:

PARTY!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Smoke On!!!!!

Really!! won with the pans, I usually get too mushy on the bottom of my brisket. Tender but mushy.

and you teach classes too. or did I read your post wrong.

BarbedQ and G$ you are asking the right people,this is where i learned everything i know,the Brethren will not steer you wrong. The advanced search is good also. You should have a BBQ Brethren Hat & Banner for luck also. BTW I may come and do a surprise inspection of them Smokers. :wink:

Amen to that, Dick. I just did an advanmced search and bookmarked about 8 great threads.

Oh yeah, you HAVE to at least make an appearance at Rawhide!

For me, I've found the top and rear areas to run hotter than lower and toward the front. Knowing this, I like it ver much as it allows me to not require separate cookers for different cook temps.

Vinny, Is the rear a little hotter because of exhaust placement, or the path your charcoal basket takes? Also, do I recall correctly that you are using a guru?

The only problem i see with doing everything on the one pit is losing temp with door being constantly opened and closed the few hours before turn in especially if you want to ramp up the temps for chicken.

Since you know how to get to the house, inspections are always welcome provided you give me a bit of notice. I'll be adding you to the party list too. We do about five 75 people parties at the house every year as part of my comp practice.

I don't plan on competing with the Spicewine at the Rawhide event, so I'll have until probably March before I do a real comp with it. Since I have the WSM and the 3 NB offsets, I may choose to take some mixture of smokers to events until I get comfortable.

Still have to figure out how the heck I'm going to get it into and out of the cargo trailer and around the house with them itty bitty wheels.

I was out looking at the smoker today trying to figure out how to route my digital thermo's to figure out hot spots/temp deltas based on Vinny's post. I guess if I have to I'll drop them down the stack since I spent the money on the longer wire lenght probes. Don't want to create any leaks running them thru the door and I'd like to know the increase/decrease above and below where the door thermo sits.

Since you know how to get to the house, inspections are always welcome provided you give me a bit of notice. I'll be adding you to the party list too. We do about five 75 people parties at the house every year as part of my comp practice.

I don't plan on competing with the Spicewine at the Rawhide event, so I'll have until probably March before I do a real comp with it. Since I have the WSM and the 3 NB offsets, I may choose to take some mixture of smokers to events until I get comfortable.

Still have to figure out how the heck I'm going to get it into and out of the cargo trailer and around the house with them itty bitty wheels.

I was out looking at the smoker today trying to figure out how to route my digital thermo's to figure out hot spots/temp deltas based on Vinny's post. I guess if I have to I'll drop them down the stack since I spent the money on the longer wire lenght probes. Don't want to create any leaks running them thru the door and I'd like to know the increase/decrease above and below where the door thermo sits.
get the guru/stoker

I'll keep that in mind. As you can probably understand, by Q budget is hurting after buying the smoker. If I hadn't already paid for the SWI in November, I'd probably be SOL.

Amen to that, Dick. I just did an advanmced search and bookmarked about 8 great threads.

Oh yeah, you HAVE to at least make an appearance at Rawhide!

I have some offers to come and cook or hang out with some of the teams,and even be Grand Marshall of the event. But right now I'm having withdrawals from selling my Twins, I'm not sure if I am if going to show up or not. I'll see how I feel after i get over the withdrawals. BTW I smoked yesterday and today on the Dually for therapy, and G$ smokers sitting here all cleaned up ready to be delivered.

Back