MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 10-26-2010, 01:54 AM   #7051
boakley
Found some matches.

So, after reading this thread, I got my first barrel today and started cleaning the liner out. I've promised myself I wouldn't ask any noob questions until I have read this entire threat...just finished up page 37 (of 470) so I may be awhile. :) You guys are all great, thanks for the info!
boakley is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-26-2010, 08:17 AM   #7052
pAT_13
Got Wood.

I cooked some ribs this weekend and was going to use a rib rack but the last time I cooked ribs they were falling apart and they would not fit in the rack so I tried adding feet (four SS bolts, eight washers and eight nuts) to a rack and it just sits on top of the first one, no side bolts to get in the way of removing the racks.

I can still lay them flat without them touching and I have more room for ABTs I added them later but I still had room after adding the ATBs for another rack. Here is a pic of the rack and ribs

Bonus, the feet work to set it on the table without the ribs touching the table. I think I might be able to put a third rack if the first one is low enough.
pAT_13 is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 10-26-2010, 09:09 AM   #7053
SmokerKing
is Blowin Smoke!

I have adjustable legs on my charcoal basket when it sets in the ash pan. On my first build I wanted the adjustment capability up and down to allow more or less air flow. Anyway, I welded 1/2 flat washers to the head of the 5/16 bolt which gives the leg a more sturdy base and prevents it from falling between the grates.

I like the idea of putting legs on the grates in case you need to remove them and set it somewhere. Since I have adjustable shelf tracks I wouldn't need them to stack on top of each other.
SmokerKing is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-26-2010, 03:55 PM   #7054
AustinKnight
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodney View Post
If the lid is tweaked, it'd probably work best to rest it across two high points (like bricks) at 12:00 and 6:00 and push gently with your hands at 3:00 and 9:00... it shouldn't take much. If you beat on it too much, you could permanently warp it... Just my $0.02.

-Rodney
Ahhh good idea ill try that instead of beating the crap out of it makes more sense

Old 10-26-2010, 08:25 PM   #7055
Paul B
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by boakley;144oo1385
So, after reading this thread, I got my first barrel today and started cleaning the liner out. I've promised myself I wouldn't ask any noob questions until I have read this entire threat...just finished up page 37 (of 470) so I may be awhile. :) You guys are all great, thanks for the info!
I'd ask away.....after all isn't it the reason forums are created in the first place.......to ask quesions no matter how many times it has been asked?? Everybody was a noobie at one time. I think after about the first fifty pages or so is just a whole lot of gooooood rehashing and great ideas, the basics are all that are needed.

Oh by the way..... I have read the entire thread.

Paul B
SS UDS
Paul B is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-26-2010, 10:44 PM   #7056
boakley
Found some matches.

Well, I am on page 140 now. It's all great info and I don't want to miss anything. I've been busy burning, grinding and brushing the liner out anyway. Butt up in a drum with a wire wheel is a great time to reflect on the posts.

One question though...I have been thinking about putting 3 casters (1 locking) on the bottom of the drum after it's seasoned. If anyone has 3 casters on theirs, is it fairly stable? I guess I am thinking rolling it around (out of the garage, etc).
boakley is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-26-2010, 10:59 PM   #7057
Louisiana Smoker
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by boakley View Post

One question though...I have been thinking about putting 3 casters (1 locking) on the bottom of the drum after it's seasoned. If anyone has 3 casters on theirs, is it fairly stable? I guess I am thinking rolling it around (out of the garage, etc).
3 wheelers were outlawed for a reason. If your going to put casters on it then put four.
Louisiana Smoker is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-26-2010, 11:02 PM   #7058
colonel00
Quintessential Chatty Farker

You might as well put them on before seasoning too. That way you don't have to climb into a dirty barrel to attach them (assuming you are going to drill holes and bolt).
colonel00 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-27-2010, 11:17 AM   #7059
jcinadr
On the road to being a farker

DON'T put rubber wheels on before the burnout - there is a post where someone did and burnt the rubber off.

I would not worry about 3 wheels. I keep my on 3 bricks and it is plenty stable.
jcinadr is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-27-2010, 12:01 PM   #7060
Rodney
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcinadr View Post
DON'T put rubber wheels on before the burnout - there is a post where someone did and burnt the rubber off.

I would not worry about 3 wheels. I keep my on 3 bricks and it is plenty stable.
So do I, but keep in mind that those three bricks contact the ground much further out from the center of the drum than three wheels would. That makes a huge difference. Plus, that stability is most important when you're rolling the drum across uneven surfaces, which we're obviously not doing with bricks.
Char-Broil Commercial Series Gasser, ECB, MECO 4400 charcoal grill, 22.5" OTS, UDS built 3/20/2010 ([URL="http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/album.php?albumid=291"]Pics[/URL], [url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bCyKypslPhs"]Video[/url])
Maverick ET-7 and ET-73, home-built 18A sous vide temperature controller
IMBAS Certified MOINK Baller
My blog: [url="http://think-create-eat.blogspot.com"] THINK + CREATE + EAT[/url] - [URL="http://www.facebook.com/pages/THINK-CREATE-EAT/115706441783448"]"Like" on Facebook[/URL]

[B][COLOR=red]"Meat: It's what's for dinner. And lunch, breakfast, dessert..."[/COLOR][/B]
Rodney is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-27-2010, 01:17 PM   #7061
Southern Home Boy
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by boakley View Post
Well, I am on page 140 now. It's all great info and I don't want to miss anything. I've been busy burning, grinding and brushing the liner out anyway. Butt up in a drum with a wire wheel is a great time to reflect on the posts.

I've got mine on three all steel casters. It's plenty stable.

Pro Q Frontier, UDS (Little Red), "Turtle Drum" UDS, CG Gasser KCBS CBJ#61160
Southern Home Boy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-27-2010, 03:29 PM   #7062
IrregularPulse
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Yeah, you can see our baby sitter across the street. She is just getting home and my boy is about to come home. We had it handy from cleaning out the camper to be winterized so I tossed it up. I had some cheese smoking nearby and didn't want to have to worry about him touching it. He's 2.
IrregularPulse is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-27-2010, 03:50 PM   #7063
dataz722
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrregularPulse View Post
Yeah, you can see our baby sitter across the street. She is just getting home and my boy is about to come home. We had it handy from cleaning out the camper to be winterized so I tossed it up. I had some cheese smoking nearby and didn't want to have to worry about him touching it. He's 2.
Do I know you?
dataz722 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-27-2010, 04:03 PM   #7064
_Christopher_
Got rid of the matchlight.

Default Using a UDP in the winter

What advice do seasoned UDS owners have when it comes using their UDS in the winter to maintain proper temperature?

I have a stack of bricks and I was thinking of building up the bricks around the UDS to act as a seasonal wind break and maybe help stave off the heat radiating off the UDS.
_Christopher_ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-27-2010, 05:03 PM   #7065
N8man
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Christopher_ View Post
What advice do seasoned UDS owners have when it comes using their UDS in the winter to maintain proper temperature?

I have a stack of bricks and I was thinking of building up the bricks around the UDS to act as a seasonal wind break and maybe help stave off the heat radiating off the UDS.
This is what I do.....Nothing Special....
Lite the Fire, Stabilize Temp, Load it With Food, Cook, Eat.....

How I Fire Up That Ugly DrumPit Smoker!!!!
N8man is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
divided circle template, uds, ugly drum, ugly drum grill, ugly drum smoker