Household Deep Fryer question

S

Smoker

I just bought a small deep fryer for the house. It looks like I will need to pour a quart of oil in there so when the basket is down at the bottom I get about an inch of coverage in the basket and one inch below it.

It seems like I'll be using way too much oil (trans Fatty) for cooking small amounts of food. Can I let it cool off and pour it back into a separate container until I need it again?

Smoker said:
I just bought a small deep fryer for the house. It looks like I will need to pour a quart of oil in there so when the basket is down at the bottom I get about an inch of coverage in the basket and one inch below it.

It seems like I'll be using way too much oil (trans Fatty) for cooking small amounts of food. Can I let it cool off and pour it back into a separate container until I need it again?

Yes. Depending on what oil you are using, and what your are cooking, you can save and re-use the oil several times. Filter it when you pour it back to the storage container. If you let it get too hot, it will not store or keep well.

I filter oil using cheesecloth layered in a fine sieve. Paper coffee filters work, but they are slow.

What qman said. I filter peanut oil several times when deep frying fish and fries. If you fry the fries last, they actually pick up some of the crumbs left in the oil. When filtering, I dip the oil out with a cup and throw the last 1/4 inch away. It contains most of the nasties. I've used the same 4 gallons of oil all summer long doing at least 1 fish fry per week including hush puppies and fries for 10-20 people each time. Just don't burn it, and skim out loose cornmeal(if applicable) it burns and imparts bad flavor to the oil evin if the oils doesn't burn.

I just picked up a Waring Pro from Costco for $50. I need it to make Lumpia. It's ground pork, garlic onions carrots and spices deep fried in a thin egg roll wrapper.

Oil will darken as it ages. Conversely, new oil will not get you the golden brown color you are usually looking for. When the oil gets old and starts breaking down it will start smoking at a lower temp and it's time to change it out.

As the guys said above, strain and store the oil in a dark, cool cabinet and it'll last for many cooks. Frying the potatoes last is a great idea.

Smoker said:
I just picked up a Waring Pro from Costco for $50. I need it to make Lumpia. It's ground pork, garlic onions carrots and spices deep fried in a thin egg roll wrapper.

Man, I love that Lumpia. My favorite mod of eggroll. Do you serve it with that sweet Lumpia sauce that the Filipinos make?

Chad is right[as usual]. The oil actually gives better results after a couple of cooks, if it is not overheated.

i usually filter mine every other time or so..depends on what i'm cooking. breaded stuff like fish will cause lots more "crumbs" in the bottom. I use a mesh screen that I glued into a margarine bowl with bottom cut out then cheesecloth on top of the mesh. I only use peanut oil (sam's club). I just dump it back in the fryer and close the lid. But then..i use mine quite a bit too.

Lumpia and honest to gosh spring rolls!!

Pansit!

Pan de sol, especially after a day/night/day of San Miguels and assorted other adult beverages while 'phoon evac'd to Clark AB.

No wonder I'm diabetic now!!

Yep, boatnut, storing it in the fryer would work if you use it a lot.
Since I don't, I decant my oil [peanut also] into a mason jar and screw the lid down tight.

I have thought about putting the oil into one of those foodsaver containers and vacu-sucking it. That would slow down the oxidation-but that is probably overkill.:roll:

Chad, dang it! You are making me hungry, and I just got up from the table.

Spring rolls! yes, yes, yes

Pancit. I make that all the time. Pancit and Chicken and Pork Adobo.
Good Stuff.:-D

Don't forget that seasonings, especially salt will break down the oil faster. Excessive heat and water ( ice crystals ) will do the same. I wish I had a built in deep fryer like Emeril has on his show!! When I was building my dream kitchen I looked all over the net to have the same fryer. Couldn't find it any where!! I even tried to contact the Food Network to find out who makes the built in model of that particular fryer. No luck!!:cry:

Spice

Spice, I think that is a small commercial Fry-o-lator.
I too would like to have one of those built-in in my dream kitchen.

qman said:
Chad, dang it! You are making me hungry, and I just got up from the table.

Spring rolls! yes, yes, yes

Pancit. I make that all the time. Pancit and Chicken and Pork Adobo.
Good Stuff.:-D

If you've had enough San Miguel the street vendor's "chicken" goes down pretty good!! Used to hit the City Lunch in Angeles City pretty often when I was down in the PI.

On Okinawa I ate real frequently at a small place across from Torii Station called the Royal - spring rolls, chicken corn soup, the chef's special fried rice (gomoku yaki mesh(spelling probably off), and on and on and on...I rate all spring rolls by the one's from the Royal!!

The Green Door for tempura - all kinds of tempura. One place out Gate 2 had a tempan yaki (kobe style cooking) area downstairs and a great Chinese place upstairs...

One of the few things I miss from Okinawa (I had 2 tours for a total of 7 years) is the FOOD!!

And one cannot forget the Ghengis Khan for Mongolian BBQ...SON, it was all you can eat and it was fantastic.

Chad, my knowledge of Filipino food is vicarious. Comes from my brother-in-law, who spent a lot of time there with the Navy. Know what you mean about the "chicken".
His list of places to eat is almost the same as your's.

I know when I have a dish right, because he is my main quality-control taster.

I never could seem to get the bread right though. I have tried several recipes for pan de sol(sal), just can't get it to work.

If you want to remove odors and taste from the oil....deep fry a couple pieces of bread.....it will soak up a lot of nasty stuff from your fryer. I do this after frying fish and all the fishy odor is gone.

When cooking with oil, keep in mind that using more (deep frying) is better than less... The oil will maintain temperature better, and the food will absorb less of it.

There aint enough San Miguel in the world that would get me to eat any street vendor food in Angeles. Of course, you don't go to Angeles to eat the food.

Smoker said:
I just picked up a Waring Pro from Costco for $50.

That is a great price. I paid $100 for mine at LNT after using a 20% off coupon. I have used mine alot for the "family size" meals

I recently got a Charmglow turkey fryer that I use for larger frying jobs. It uses around 2.5 gallons of oil and stays hot when frying a lot of food. I cooked 120 fried shrimp not long ago and I never had to wait for it to get hot. I haven't cooked a turkey in it (and maybe never will) - maximum size recommended is 14 pounds. I got it to fry shrimp, scallops, crab cakes, fries and chicken fried steaks. Home Depot was closing them out for $50.

Back