MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 10-31-2013, 07:52 PM   #16
mikemci
Babbling Farker

Just curious, is bbq very popular in Ireland?
mikemci is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-31-2013, 11:23 PM   #17
Dauvis
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toast View Post
I agree after seeing the other posts Dauvis. I've also heard of drilling 3/8" holes in the existing pan for better ventilation and draft..
I think this is an area where Master Forge improved upon Brinkmann's design; so I'm not sure. I got plenty of ventilation. The only time I had problem was when I started a second batch of charcoal and didn't clean out the ash.

Old 11-02-2013, 03:35 PM   #18
Larso
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemci View Post
Just curious, is bbq very popular in Ireland?
Straight answer: No!
We dont really have the weather to get us outside often enough, except for maybe 2 months durting the summer(if were lucky). However, if bad weather keeps you indoors we'd barely get outside at all in Ireland. The main impediment to outdoor cooking here is the wind and rain, cold wouldnt stop me going outside as you can dress for it and still be comfortable.
I use my oudoor gas grill more than most. I use it in all weathers, even fire it up on christmas day because my ovens arent big enough for the amount of food(12~15 people). I'm always dragging my kids out to the garden and this is just another great excuse. You could count the amount of BBQ restaurants in Dublin on one hand(I can only think of 2), but people would love it if they could get it. Im just back from a 6 week stint in Phoenix with my job and there was loads of BBQ there, couldnt get enough of it! Ive been building an outdoor wood fired pizza oven which is nearly ready to fire up also and am planning a whole outdoor cooking area.
Larso is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-02-2013, 03:59 PM   #19
Larso

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by HankB View Post
I can't comment on the cooker itself but I think turkey or other poultry would be a good starting point. Poultry does not benefit from low 'n slow they same way that pork or beef does so if temperatures run a little on the high side, that's not going to be a bad thing.

You may not achieve the same results you found with commercially smoked birds unless you determine what process they use and copy that. I haven't done that. Maybe I should try. My birds come out more like a roasted turkey with some smoke flavor.

Of course you will want to get some chunks of smoking wood to add to the charcoal. A little mesquite, apple, hickory would add some flavor.

Also consider brining if your turkey is not already injected. I'm not sure what you will find in the UK. In the US most frozen turkeys are "enhanced with up to 12% special sauce" or something like that. It's basically salt water. Don't brine if injected.

A pork butt is also another good first cook as it is rather tolerant of a range of temperatures.

Good luck and post pictures!
Thanks for the tips Hank, think Ill start with a bird then. But I wont be flying to the UK to buy it I'll just got to my local butcher:)

Old 11-02-2013, 04:08 PM   #20
Larso

Thanks for the advice everyone!
Im convinced on 'some' of the mods. Ill get the charcoal pan sorted before my first cook, I'll also put in a thermometer under the upper cooking rack (best location?). I'll also do the air inlet mod at some stage but I think I'll start with sliding_billys recommendation of a ceramic bowl covered in foil slid underneath.
I dont like the look of the rope gasket, would much rather something solid and metallic, will have to think about that one...

Old 11-02-2013, 04:25 PM   #21
HankB
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larso View Post
But I wont be flying to the UK to buy it I'll just got to my local butcher:)
Oops! Where did I get the idea that Ireland was in the UK? Learned a little geography today.

Old 11-02-2013, 04:59 PM   #22
Big George's BBQ
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : George

Very nice Congrats and enjoy Be careful with smoking poultry It absorbs smoke quickly
Mid Atlantic BBQ Association
KCBS
Back Porch BBQ Competition BBQ Team
Proud Member of the Zero Club

When all else fails ask yourself WWGALD
Big George's BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote