MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 08-24-2013, 10:22 AM   #1
Toronto
Full Fledged Farker

Default Does this drum look unlined to you?

As the title suggest: Does this drum look unlined to you?

Also, has anyone had trouble with drums that didnt have ribs?

Toronto is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-24-2013, 10:28 AM   #2
Fwismoker
somebody shut me the fark up.

Ribless drums are fine I have one myself. It looks like a liner or the rust inhibitor. Both burn out easy imo. Burn with a weed burner or good fire and use wire brush on a grinder or drill to sand it down well.

Visit [COLOR="Red"]OctoForks[/COLOR] in Sales & Ventures

Website & Blog: [url]www.octoforks.com[/url]
Fwismoker is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-24-2013, 10:28 AM   #3
aawa
Babbling Farker

The goldish color is lining.

I have seen uds's without the ribs. As long as you measure right you should be fine without the ribs.

Old 08-24-2013, 10:29 AM   #4
Wampus

Looks unlined to me, but hard to tell for sure.
The linings that I've seen usually have a texture to them and aren't real smooth. Yours looks smooth. Does it just have an "oily" coating?
The thing that tells me it's not lined is the fact that you can see the seam on the right side of the first photo. I don't think you'd be able to see that seam if it were lined.
Of course.....I could be wrong.

Any idea what was stored in the drum? That may help determining if it is lined or not. Most "food safe" drums that hold food or things like that are lined to protect the food.

My drum doesn't have ribs and I've not had any issues. It does have a slightly thicker wall than typical 55 gal drums that I've seen that DO have the ribs, but still..... I think the ribs are just there to prevent buckling and denting and add rigidity to the drum.

Old 08-24-2013, 10:35 AM   #5
Toronto
Full Fledged Farker

Thats my understanding as well, the ribs are to add strength and rigidity but if other brethren have no issues I shouldnt either. I thought it was lined as well since it was a golden color and not the typical grey metal, good eye about the seam. Considering we can see the seam the lining/coating isnt that thick and should be easily burned off I think.

Thanks for the input guys.

Old 08-24-2013, 10:37 AM   #6
Fwismoker

Looking at it again it looks just like mine did...it takes a good wire brushing but it isn't hard to do.

Visit [COLOR="Red"]OctoForks[/COLOR] in Sales & Ventures

Website & Blog: [url]www.octoforks.com[/url]
Fwismoker is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-24-2013, 10:37 AM   #7
Wampus

If it IS lined, then putting a torch or wire wheel or something to it will cause it to break or peel away. That should tell you. If you just see sparks or raw metal after burning or grinding, you're in the clear.

Old 08-24-2013, 10:39 AM   #8
AtlGator
On the road to being a farker

Default I say if you have to ask...

it isn't worth cooking food in. My $.02.
AtlGator is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-24-2013, 10:44 AM   #9
El Ropo
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Roger

It's perfectly fine for cooking food in it. Just give 'er a good burn out after drilling intake holes, and you'll be fine. The drum looks like it has a rust inhibitor coating which is cake to remove compared to the resin liners.

2016 Fuji Absolute 2.0 LE (for burning off all the great BBQ)
El Ropo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-24-2013, 10:45 AM   #10
Toronto
Full Fledged Farker

Many brethren have even removed the dreaded tan liner and cooked in it but risk tolerance is always going to be up to the individual.

Im more along the lines of "If I didnt ask I shouldnt cook in it".

Old 08-24-2013, 11:20 AM   #11
El Ropo
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Roger

I think it would be less healthy to eat fast food twice a month..

2016 Fuji Absolute 2.0 LE (for burning off all the great BBQ)
El Ropo is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 08-24-2013, 11:45 AM   #12
CtTradArcher
On the road to being a farker

I have the same drum that I made a UDS out of two years ago. I sanded out the liner. It was a lot of work, but worth it.
I actually prefer no ribs. Cleaner look and provides the opportunity to put in a door without having to work around ribs.
I have a second drum just like it that I intend to build with a door. Just need to find the time...

Large UDS, Small UDS, CG Akorn, NB Bandera, NB Black Diamond, Home Built Offset, Vision Classic Kamado, Green Mountain Daniel Boone, Weber Gasser, Smokey Mountain Cabinet, and several Weber kettles of various sizes.
CtTradArcher is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-24-2013, 12:23 PM   #13
oifmarine2003
Babbling Farker

Hard to tell from the angle but it looks unlined with oily film if I had to guess.

Old 08-26-2013, 12:57 AM   #14
Ole Man Dan
is one Smokin' Farker

When in doubt, burn it out...
Ole Man Dan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-26-2013, 02:26 AM   #15
Phubar

It looks like no liner...scrape it with a wired brush or some sandpaper to see if it comes off easily.
Drum is perPhect to cook in...I don't see no reason why not.

All fueled by [COLOR=lime]Ecobrasa[/COLOR] Coco Briquettes

*[URL="http://lowlandsmokers.blogspot.com/2011/06/lowland-smokers-workshop-hei-en-boeicop.html"]Lowland Smokers[/URL] Dutch BBQ Champion 2011 - 2012*
*[URL="http://lowlandsmokers.blogspot.com/2011/06/lowland-smokers-workshop-hei-en-boeicop.html"]Lowland Smokers[/URL] Dutch BBQ Champion 2013 Low 'n Slow
*WGA Ambassador
Phubar is offline   Reply With Quote