Cold smoked salmon

daninnewjersey

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
Been reading lots of threads on making cold smoked salmon so I figured I'd try it. Got about a 3.5-4 lb filet, trimmed it up a bit, and used a 50/50 cure of salt and brown sugar. Let it sit for about 10-12 hrs, rinsed it off and let the pellicle form. smoked it for a couple hours then a rest in the fridge. Sliced thin....this stuff is pretty good. The 2 small pieces were samples from a new source I'm trying...

Last edited:
Sure looks good but when you say it tasted "pretty good " I wonder what you would have changed? I too am interested in more detail on the cold smoking.

Sure looks good but when you say it tasted "pretty good " I wonder what you would have changed? I too am interested in more detail on the cold smoking.

I used oak....use that for everything since it's so plentiful in these parts. I'd say a little less salt would have been better (but that's just my personal taste). The few that tasted it liked it a lot. For the smoke, I just put a couple lit K Blue coals in the bottom of my basket and put some unsoaked wood on top. That produces enough smoke and doesn't get close to 70 degrees. I just check it every so often...like once or twice a beer.....:mrgreen:

Looks really good from here. I'd love some on a bagel with a little cream cheese.

Back