MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 11-11-2012, 01:44 PM   #1
JMSetzler
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : John
Default Transporting a Cooked Turkey?

I'm getting the chance to cook the family's Thanksgiving Turkey this year. The problem is that I need to cook it and have it ready to eat at 12:30pm. I'm going to have to cook it at my house and then haul it 20 miles to my parent's house for lunch. Timing is critical.

How long can I hold a cooked turkey before serving it? Can I foil it and hold it in a cooler like I would a Boston Butt?
JMSetzler is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-11-2012, 02:37 PM   #2
Pyle's BBQ
Babbling Farker

I would have it ready at the time you need to leave. The 20 minute ride in the cooler will give it time to rest. If you have any bricks laying around, wrap them in foil, heat them in the oven or smoker and put the bricks in the cooler with the turkey. This will give you some extra heat if you don't eat as soon as you get there.

Yoder YS640; Good-One "Trail Boss" 60T; Weber Kettle rotisserie ring; Big A$$ Rotisserie; New Braunfels offset smoker; Weber Smokey Mountain; Backyard Bombers BBQ HJM

Μολν λαβέ

Last edited by Pyle's BBQ; 11-11-2012 at 03:41 PM..
Pyle's BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 11-11-2012, 02:44 PM   #3
IamMadMan
somebody shut me the fark up.

Just as the Butt will stay warm (hot) in holding, so will the turkey.

I have never used the wrapped brick trick like Pyle's BBQ stated, but sounds like something that would extend the heat for travel.

Good luck and let us know how it works out for you..
IamMadMan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-11-2012, 03:02 PM   #4
Wh1skey6
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyle's BBQ View Post
I would have it ready at the time you need to leave. The 20 minute ride in the cooler will give it time to rest. If you have any bricks laying around, wrap them in foil and put the bricks in the cooler with the turkey. This will give you some extra heat if you don't eat as soon as you get there.
Wouldn't a cool brick act as a heat sink and draw heat from the turkey? You may want to use a warm brick.

Old 11-11-2012, 03:15 PM   #5
BBQ Bros
On the road to being a farker

Let me complicate this further...I've got to drive about 2 hours to where my family lives. Wrapped in foil in a dry cooler still OK you think?

[URL="http://bbqbros.net"][B][COLOR="Red"]BBQ Bros Blog[/COLOR][/B][/URL]
[URL="http://www.youtube.com/user/StokedOnSmoke"][B][COLOR="Red"]BBQ Bros YouTube Channel[/COLOR][/B][/URL]
[URL="http://www.facebook.com/pages/BBQ-Bros/227164197360480"][B][COLOR="Red"]BBQ Bros Facebook[/COLOR][/B][/URL]
[URL="https://twitter.com/#!/BBQBrosBlog"][B][COLOR="Red"]BBQ Bros Twitter[/COLOR][/B][/URL]
BBQ Bros is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-11-2012, 03:23 PM   #6
dadsr4

Allow for the fact that it will continue to cook in the cooler. Might be best to pull the turkey from the cooker at about 5-10 degrees lower to allow for this.

Old 11-11-2012, 03:42 PM   #7
Pyle's BBQ
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wh1skey6 View Post
Wouldn't a cool brick act as a heat sink and draw heat from the turkey? You may want to use a warm brick.
I forgot that part. I fixed it.

Yoder YS640; Good-One "Trail Boss" 60T; Weber Kettle rotisserie ring; Big A$$ Rotisserie; New Braunfels offset smoker; Weber Smokey Mountain; Backyard Bombers BBQ HJM

Μολν λαβέ
Pyle's BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-11-2012, 03:56 PM   #8
Happy Hapgood

Name/Nickname : Mike

How about holding it in a deep foil pan covered in foil and wrapped in a blanket set in a cooler. It should still be hot up to 4 hours that way.
Wife LuzziAnn 1956 model.
Ink Bird IBBQ 4T Wi-Fi Temp Monitor, Superfast LSU Purple Thermapen & ThermaPop, Party Q
Ink Bird Sous Vide, HF Flame Thower

My Motto these days is "Low Stress, Low Drag".

The Artist Formally Known as Toast

Happy Hapgood is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-11-2012, 05:39 PM   #9
daninnewjersey
Babbling Farker

Preheat the cooler with very hot water (dump the water when the cooler is hot). I'd wrap the turkey in foil (loose tent) and keep it on a rack...or something else...so it's above the bottom of the cooler. Have your parent's oven preheated and put the bird in there when you arrive...if only for a bit. You'll be fine......

Thanks from: --->
Old 11-11-2012, 07:04 PM   #10
rondini
Full Fledged Farker

I've smoked a chicken, out of the UDS, into a pan, covered w/ foil wrapped in 2 towels.
Transportation 1/2 hour. waited on other parts of dinner for 15 minutes.
Unwrapped, cut up, placed on platter>table.
Hot chicken.
I think this should work w/turkey.

Old 11-11-2012, 07:45 PM   #11
pwa
is One Chatty Farker

I've done that several times smoke it at the house wrap and cooler till I get to destination. Then slice and server always turns out fantastic!!
WIFI Stoker
Custom Trailer Offset

Owner of BurlesQ BBQ shack
BurlesQ BBQ Facebook
BurlesQ BBQ website
pwa is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-11-2012, 08:11 PM   #12
4ever3

Take this for what it's worth but my Mom swears to it...

She says when she was growing up (you know the walking uphill both ways to school barefooted in the snow days) that my Grandma would cook the turkey, then my Grandpa would take it out of the oven and put a layer of foil on it. Once he had the foil down tight he would put 8 or 10 layers of newspaper around it, wrap all of that in a quilt and put it in the trunk. They all piled in the car and drove 4 hrs to my Great Grandmas. She swears to this day no Thanksgiving turkey comes close to as good as those were.

So I'm thinking, preheat an ice chest with hot water, wrap in foil and layer a slug of newspaper and you should be good for hours.

Old Oklahoma Joe (Opal)
GMG TREK (Greta Thunberg)
Weber Summit Charcoal (Waylon)
MAK 2 Star (Maybel)

2x “Unfortunately nothing wrong with that” Bob C Que…
I must be living right (somehow…)
4ever3 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-12-2012, 02:42 PM   #13
Gr8fasushi
Found some matches.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4ever3 View Post
(you know the walking uphill both ways to school barefooted in the snow days)
i lol'ed
Gr8fasushi is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-12-2012, 04:22 PM   #14
Wampus

I'm cooking 2 turkeys for our annual Thanksgiving Pitch In next Wed at work and I live about 30 miles away.

I'm just planning on having them come off the heat just in time to put in pans, place pans in Cambro and get to work.

I'm using a Cambro because I have one. If you don't have a Cambro, use a cooler.

Either way, I'd preheat with HOT arse water ahead of time. The cooler and/or cambro will be nice and warm when the turkey goes in and the ride will only serve as a rest period.

I plan to carve at work. I just think carving ahead of time is asking for cold, dry turkey.

Old 11-12-2012, 05:10 PM   #15
Burnt
Found some matches.

Default Cooked Turkey, cooler, 40 minute drive = no problem

I use to use foiled bricks that I heat in the oven to 250. I have since picked up a couple 2 1/2" thick hunks of aluminum that just fit the bottom of my cooler.
I wrap the bird with foil and put on a rack and in a pan. I put bath towels around to take up space.
Everything works out great. Have done tri tips, turkeys, chickens etc this way.

I found the aluminum at a local recycling yard.
Burnt is offline   Reply With Quote