MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 07-13-2012, 06:06 PM   #76
enasnidx
Full Fledged Farker

I don't mean to nay say, I know I'm not the only one, but after eating a bit of it I started to get turned off. I put it on meatloaf and it got to a point where all I could taste was spicy cider vinegar. I like spice, and I like a little tang, but this just got a little overwhelming. However, I'm glad I tried it. It is nice for something different, I would just need to adjust it to my taste.

Old 07-13-2012, 06:32 PM   #77
Myrdhyn
Full Fledged Farker

Ok, so I made a batch "as-is" with my favorite "texas pete" style hotsauce called Trappeys. Amazing, absolutely amazing. My wife was giving me the stink-eye for mixing up yet another jar of sauce, and then she tasted it and pretty much wanted to steal it to drink.

After that success I decided to mix it up a bit and make a batch with Sriracha for the hot sauce and a german "sweet-hot" mustard:

The second batch is just as amazing as the first, if not moreso. I love it. Some version of this has just become a new must-have-on-hand-at-all-times condiment in our house, and I can't wait to explore more mustard/hotsauce combos.

Can't wait to mix up a batch and kick it up with a bit of ghost chili sauce(added...not as the primary hot sauce, i'm not that insane).

Thanks from:--->
Old 07-13-2012, 06:47 PM   #78
Al Czervik
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : Scott/Mongo

Sounds killer B-Shiz!
(='.'=) Avatar by Chalupa
(")_(")
Al Czervik is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 07-13-2012, 06:56 PM   #79
enasnidx
Full Fledged Farker

I used Frank's Red Hot (Buffalo) Sauce (all I had on hand). Maybe I just need to try it with a different sauce?

Old 07-13-2012, 09:22 PM   #80
HB-BBQ
is Blowin Smoke!

I finally have some free time on my hands this weekend and am making a batch of this tomorrow thank you.

BTW Bo, I now understand your drinking problem you mentioned a few months ago. You got me hooked on this stuff too now...it's ridiculously good!
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...ghlight=scotts
HB-BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-13-2012, 09:39 PM   #81
wmarkw
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by enasnidx View Post
I used Frank's Red Hot (Buffalo) Sauce (all I had on hand). Maybe I just need to try it with a different sauce?
That would be why IMOP. That stuff is vinegary for sure and a little goes a long way.
wmarkw is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-14-2012, 02:58 AM   #82
This is not your pork!
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boshizzle View Post
1 1/2 cup Apple Cider Vinegar
1/4 cup water
1/4 cup of your favorite hot sauce
1 Tablespoon (TBS) Paprika
1 TBS Black Pepper
1 TBS Kitchen Salt
2 TBS Yellow Mustard (French)
Should be the sauce to go for on pulled pork. I only have to decide on hot sauce (Tabasco, Habanero or Sriracha) and mustard (haven't seen that really yellow stuff here before, but maybe I just wasn't looking).

But it just came to mind, Tabasco & Habanero come in really tiny bottles here (~ 2 fl.oz), and we usually only use a few drops to spice things up, so that's not really an option. Which hot sauce did you use exactly? We have Sriracha in 15.39 fl.oz squeeze bottles, but it's really hot as well and I can't imagine using 1/4 cup of it in relation to the amounts of the other ingredients.

Old 07-14-2012, 06:19 AM   #83
Boshizzle

Quote:
Originally Posted by This is not your pork! View Post
Should be the sauce to go for on pulled pork. I only have to decide on hot sauce (Tabasco, Habanero or Sriracha) and mustard (haven't seen that really yellow stuff here before, but maybe I just wasn't looking).

But it just came to mind, Tabasco & Habanero come in really tiny bottles here (~ 2 fl.oz), and we usually only use a few drops to spice things up, so that's not really an option. Which hot sauce did you use exactly? We have Sriracha in 15.39 fl.oz squeeze bottles, but it's really hot as well and I can't imagine using 1/4 cup of it in relation to the amounts of the other ingredients.
I use Texas Pete hot sauce. You could go with an extra 1/4 cup of vinegar and add fine grind cayenne to taste and get a similar flavor.

Old 07-14-2012, 08:54 PM   #84
Boshizzle

OK, I sipped it, put it on pork, chicken, beef, tossed salad, cucumbers, and fresh tomatoes. Tonight, I tried it on some fresh, sliced peaches. Wow!

Old 07-14-2012, 09:08 PM   #85
RevZiLLa
is Blowin Smoke!

Thanks for sharing

Brinkman water smokers (elec and charcoal)
Weber kettle grill
Uniflame Gold Stainless 5 burner propane grill / rotisserie
BBQ Grillware upright propane water smoker
A trench filled with wood coals and covered with chain link fence
RevZiLLa is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-14-2012, 09:59 PM   #86
Chezmatt
Full Fledged Farker

I made a bottle of this stuff about four weeks ago, and it's been sitting in my pantry ever since. I broke it out today and used it on some grilled chicken. It was fantastic. I plan on keeping a bottle of this around as a standard condiment in my house.
Bo, you should seriously consider bottling this stuff. I'd buy it.
22.5" WSM (x2) /[COLOR=Orange][B] Orange [/B][/COLOR]& [B]Black [/B]Mini-WSM / Lion gas grill / [COLOR="SeaGreen"][B]Green[/B][/COLOR] Weber Performer / [COLOR="Red"][B]Red[/B][/COLOR] & [COLOR="gold"][B] Gold [/B][/COLOR] Mini-WSM / XL Big Green Egg
Chezmatt is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-14-2012, 10:02 PM   #87
Garman
On the road to being a farker

Thanks Bo! Just whipped up a batch using Frank's Red Hot Original! It tasted really good on my finger so it will taste awesome on my pork!!

Old 07-14-2012, 10:33 PM   #88
Boshizzle

I'm glad you folks like it. It's great to know that I can give back to the brethren. This sauce is a labor of love and I hope that it's something more and more brethren will enjoy and build upon.

Old 07-15-2012, 02:46 AM   #89
pwa
is One Chatty Farker

Want to Give you a Big thanks!! I did a big cook for the AF Squadron I work with and wanted different BBQ sauce so everyone felt like they were home. So I used yours as I have never messed with a Vinegar based sauce. To go with my others. I got RAVE reviews!! Thanks a ton! I hope I can one day repay you for sharing this recipe!

pwa
WIFI Stoker
Custom Trailer Offset

Owner of BurlesQ BBQ shack
BurlesQ BBQ Facebook
BurlesQ BBQ website
pwa is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-15-2012, 08:28 PM   #90
Boshizzle

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwa View Post
Want to Give you a Big thanks!! I did a big cook for the AF Squadron I work with and wanted different BBQ sauce so everyone felt like they were home. So I used yours as I have never messed with a Vinegar based sauce. To go with my others. I got RAVE reviews!! Thanks a ton! I hope I can one day repay you for sharing this recipe!

pwa
That's got to be the greatest compliment I could ever hope for, thanks! I'm glad the airmen and airwomen liked it!